C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Adjusted TPS to 0.54, now idles at 1300

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by JasBass
Man, it's fixed! You are not going to believe how stupid the fix was. I'm ashamed. I got the cable in and got TunerPro RT going. I only got like 5 outputs, but it was all I needed. Long story short, I think my multimeter was the culprit. I left the TB with the set screw almost backed all the way out, enough that it wasn't advancing the blades and the ECM was showing TPS volts at 1.3. I adjusted the set screw in about 5 turns from point of contact and then adjusted the TPS per the ECM read out to 0.54. Holy hell, it idles right at 750.... I need to go through the min idle reset process again using the ECM data. I took the car out and it felt great (for a 29 year old sports car lol). I just ran out of daylight to keep working. Lesson learned, use scan data . I feel like Odysseus coming back home after this journey
I thought that your voltage was scanned data.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:56 PM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I thought that your voltage was scanned data.
Unfortunately, I was still on the ol' faithful multimeter. I even retested it today and it reads just fine on other things. Something in that middle wire TPS connector must have given me some resistance.

I hooked up TunerPro again today and set the set screw and TPS so that it showed 0.55v and IAC counts were 22. Car idled like it was new and throttle response was clean and crisp. I definitely feel stupid I didn't get this scan set up earlier. It seriously made this so simple.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:46 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I hooked up TunerPro again today and set the set screw and TPS so that it showed 0.55v and IAC counts were 22. Car idled like it was new and throttle response was clean and crisp. I definitely feel stupid I didn't get this scan set up earlier. It seriously made this so simple.
We should tell people more often how TunerPro (or TunerCat) with an ALDL cable is better than a scan tool....for lots of things. Now you are a Moates chip adapter/burner away from modifying the engine....if you want!
Old 06-29-2018, 07:54 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
We should tell people more often how TunerPro (or TunerCat) with an ALDL cable is better than a scan tool....for lots of things. Now you are a Moates chip adapter/burner away from modifying the engine....if you want!
Does it give you more data fields or just the ability to tune?
Old 06-29-2018, 08:17 PM
JasBass
Racer

Yessir. It really was stupid simple to get into and once I was in, It instantly simplified what was happening with the car. Now that i'm more comfortable with the software, I see that Moates has that Ostrich 2.0 that acts as the PROM and you can just burn the bin right to the Ostrich. PCM did a great job with the tune, but I can tell I still need to do some minor adjustments with the fuel pressures and lower RPM injector pulse widths. She likes to buck a little a low RPM easy driving low gear shifts. Information is power

Does it give you more data fields or just the ability to tune?
TunerPro RT when used to view data will allow you to view any information that is spec'd in the ADX file for that year and engine. So for my 89, I can see every sensor input, injector widths, all codes (and their parameters). Literally everything. But that alone doesn't allow me to tune. To burn, you need to get either a chip burner setup like the one Gregg referenced or another one from Moates or similar tuning company that can burn chips as well as supply the chip adapters. For that, you'll have to use TPRT in the bin file mode which has the actual ECM parameters and then you can adjust accordingly. Learning this set up seriously unlocked the mystery of these cars for me
Old 06-30-2018, 02:34 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Yessir. It really was stupid simple to get into and once I was in, It instantly simplified what was happening with the car. Now that i'm more comfortable with the software, I see that Moates has that Ostrich 2.0 that acts as the PROM and you can just burn the bin right to the Ostrich. PCM did a great job with the tune, but I can tell I still need to do some minor adjustments with the fuel pressures and lower RPM injector pulse widths. She likes to buck a little a low RPM easy driving low gear shifts. Information is power

TunerPro RT when used to view data will allow you to view any information that is spec'd in the ADX file for that year and engine. So for my 89, I can see every sensor input, injector widths, all codes (and their parameters). Literally everything. But that alone doesn't allow me to tune. To burn, you need to get either a chip burner setup like the one Gregg referenced or another one from Moates or similar tuning company that can burn chips as well as supply the chip adapters. For that, you'll have to use TPRT in the bin file mode which has the actual ECM parameters and then you can adjust accordingly. Learning this set up seriously unlocked the mystery of these cars for me
Why TunerPro instead of a hand held scanner that seems to be getting all the data you currently read from scanners? So unless I have a Tech 1 and you come up with this scanner that can give more data than I currently get with ALDL Scan and a couple others, how does that help in diagnostics?
Old 06-30-2018, 04:14 AM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Aldl mode 1 message returns 64 bytes including the mode value 01 followed by 63 bytes of data starting with the prom id. Its up to the tool to read and decode the datastream into meaningful information, be it tunerpro, datamaster, datacat or a scan tool.

Last edited by tequilaboy; 06-30-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:59 AM
JasBass
Racer

Why TunerPro instead of a hand held scanner that seems to be getting all the data you currently read from scanners? So unless I have a Tech 1 and you come up with this scanner that can give more data than I currently get with ALDL Scan and a couple others, how does that help in diagnostics?
Does your scan tool just give you the information or can it tell you all of the parameters around that given metric? I can click on TPS, for example, and I can see the parameters that have been set for TPS, what is considered low and what is considered high, etc.. Same for other metrics. Having never used a handheld OBD1 scanner, from my experience with nice OBD2 scanners, they only spit out a metric number and cannot expand on the programed parameters of that metric.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:09 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Does your scan tool just give you the information or can it tell you all of the parameters around that given metric? I can click on TPS, for example, and I can see the parameters that have been set for TPS, what is considered low and what is considered high, etc.. Same for other metrics. Having never used a handheld OBD1 scanner, from my experience with nice OBD2 scanners, they only spit out a metric number and cannot expand on the programed parameters of that metric.
No. Just the value. No range or parameters. Not sure if that helps diagnostics significantly or not since I haven't used it yet.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:17 AM
JasBass
Racer

No. Just the value. No range or parameters. Not sure if that helps diagnostics significantly or not since I haven't used it yet.
A quick example that I can throw out. There have been huge threads on here about TPSs and what will throw a high volt code, etc. And some posters will say theirs only goes up to 3.75, others 4.75 or something like that and you get full throttle. You can actually see what the parameter volt range is on your ECM and eliminate all debate. For me, full throttle is 4v to get the WOT fueling tables.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:52 AM
aklim
Team Owner

A quick example that I can throw out. There have been huge threads on here about TPSs and what will throw a high volt code, etc. And some posters will say theirs only goes up to 3.75, others 4.75 or something like that and you get full throttle. You can actually see what the parameter volt range is on your ECM and eliminate all debate. For me, full throttle is 4v to get the WOT fueling tables.
Good point It may be worth the price of admission to get the extra features
Old 07-01-2018, 05:46 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I'm not terribly familiar with scanners in regard to what you can view. I only use scanners (@ AutoZone, OReilly's, etc...) to retrieve error codes. With TunerPro, you can pick/monitor any/all sensor data on the car (using a laptop). You can record "engine data" and review it later...especially when it's impossible to drive, view, analyze at the same time. Examples of viewable/recordable data include TPS position, IAC position, air flow, spark, engine load (vacuum), temp, fueling vs rpm/load, fueling tables, tip-in, error codes, etc.... I'm leaving out many more. (I assume TunerCat is the same).

For those with modified engine and/or a bit of common sense, you can alter/rewrite computer settings. On earlier L98s, a (Moates) chip adapter lets you plug chips you create into the "motherboard" (in place of the factory chip). LT1's have "flashable" computers where you can rewrite stored "parms"....which eliminates the need for a chip. However, writing a new chip is as simple as plugging any USB device into your computer....then plugging a chip into your car. You don't really need to know how to "program". It's about changing tables. Tables are the starting point (parms) for running the car. 02 sensor feedback allows the computer to make adjustments to it's own "driving tables". IOW, your car's computer tweaks itself and saves it's own (better) tables. Fueling/Spark tables have to be reasonably close (+/- 15% of ideal). Other parms (i.e., fan turn-on temps, idle speed, etc...) are static. The ECM will not alter those. That's why some things require a laptop to monitor/change.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:15 AM
JasBass
Racer

I'm not terribly familiar with scanners in regard to what you can view. I only use scanners (@ AutoZone, OReilly's, etc...) to retrieve error codes. With TunerPro, you can pick/monitor any/all sensor data on the car (using a laptop). You can record "engine data" and review it later...especially when it's impossible to drive, view, analyze at the same time. Examples of viewable/recordable data include TPS position, IAC position, air flow, spark, engine load (vacuum), temp, fueling vs rpm/load, fueling tables, tip-in, error codes, etc.... I'm leaving out many more. (I assume TunerCat is the same).

For those with modified engine and/or a bit of common sense, you can alter/rewrite computer settings. On earlier L98s, a (Moates) chip adapter lets you plug chips you create into the "motherboard" (in place of the factory chip). LT1's have "flashable" computers where you can rewrite stored "parms"....which eliminates the need for a chip. However, writing a new chip is as simple as plugging any USB device into your computer....then plugging a chip into your car. You don't really need to know how to "program". It's about changing tables. Tables are the starting point (parms) for running the car. 02 sensor feedback allows the computer to make adjustments to it's own "driving tables". IOW, your car's computer tweaks itself and saves it's own (better) tables. Fueling/Spark tables have to be reasonably close (+/- 15% of ideal). Other parms (i.e., fan turn-on temps, idle speed, etc...) are static. The ECM will not alter those. That's why some things require a laptop to monitor/change.
You're getting me fired up to get that Ostrich 2.0 and tweak stuff

Quick Reply: Adjusted TPS to 0.54, now idles at 1300