c4 headlights issue- how to test between module and switch? - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

c4 headlights issue- how to test between module and switch?

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

c4 headlights issue- how to test between module and switch?

Old 07-07-2018, 02:39 PM
qwiketz
CF Senior Member

well finally broke down and ordered a replacement switch of ebay for $70. I'm hopeful that this works since I'm pretty much to the end of testing per the manual. I'll keep you posted!
Old 07-12-2018, 12:55 AM
qwiketz
CF Senior Member

Hi guys. Ordered a replacement switch and it did the trick. The only problem now is one of them won’t go up more than halfway. I “rebuilt” the motors with new plastic parts; not sure if I missed something or not
Old 07-12-2018, 07:16 AM
JasBass
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by qwiketz View Post
Hi guys. Ordered a replacement switch and it did the trick. The only problem now is one of them won’t go up more than halfway. I “rebuilt” the motors with new plastic parts; not sure if I missed something or not
Can you manually rotate it through it's full range? And can you hear the motor keep turning once it gets to that point? I think your next move is to determine if it is stopping because of resistance or gear slippage.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:42 PM
qwiketz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JasBass View Post
Can you manually rotate it through it's full range? And can you hear the motor keep turning once it gets to that point? I think your next move is to determine if it is stopping because of resistance or gear slippage.
I'm going to play with it a little more tonight. I saw an old thread on the forum where a member's did the same thing and the fusible link was bad/going bad. There are a few different things for me to try on this one.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:15 PM
JasBass
CF Senior Member

I'm going to play with it a little more tonight. I saw an old thread on the forum where a member's did the same thing and the fusible link was bad/going bad. There are a few different things for me to try on this one.

lol, that was probably my thread. I had a bad fusible link that fixed up my issue. Let us know man
Old 07-16-2018, 10:32 PM
qwiketz
CF Senior Member

any chance that after my rebuild of the motors that the linkage is binding? The motor wheel spins as the unit is moving from position to position and then aburptly stops 1/2 up. Turn the light off and it works fine.

You can hear the right motor working for several seconds after the left one. The left one just stops and goes silent half way up.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:25 AM
JasBass
CF Senior Member

any chance that after my rebuild of the motors that the linkage is binding? The motor wheel spins as the unit is moving from position to position and then aburptly stops 1/2 up. Turn the light off and it works fine.

You can hear the right motor working for several seconds after the left one. The left one just stops and goes silent half way up.
Manually rotate the motor to feel if it is binding or not first. If it is not binding, then we can go down the gear/electric road
Old 07-17-2018, 10:37 AM
qwiketz
CF Senior Member

Manually rotate the motor to feel if it is binding or not first. If it is not binding, then we can go down the gear/electric road
well, that was easy. I rotated it and the top **** spins fairly freely up until the light is half way up. At that point it gets super tight to the point that I cant turn it by hand. Time to diagnose that problem.

On a better note, for the past 5 years my right window would not roll down. I swapped out the switch while working preparing to do the window sweep and that fixed it.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:23 AM
JasBass
CF Senior Member

well, that was easy. I rotated it and the top **** spins fairly freely up until the light is half way up. At that point it gets super tight to the point that I cant turn it by hand. Time to diagnose that problem.

On a better note, for the past 5 years my right window would not roll down. I swapped out the switch while working preparing to do the window sweep and that fixed it.
Good find. So now the question becomes, is it binding in the framework or is it binding in the gear housing. I'd start with the housing framework first. If the framework isn't binding, then we have to go down the motor gear road
Old 07-19-2018, 01:00 AM
qwiketz
CF Senior Member

Good find. So now the question becomes, is it binding in the framework or is it binding in the gear housing. I'd start with the housing framework first. If the framework isn't binding, then we have to go down the motor gear road
found my culprit. It is the silver part of the arm in the middle. When I rebuilt the motor I must not have reinstalled the linkage correctly.

There’s a little play so maybe I missed a spacer?

Old 07-19-2018, 07:36 AM
JasBass
CF Senior Member

found my culprit. It is the silver part of the arm in the middle. When I rebuilt the motor I must not have reinstalled the linkage correctly.

There’s a little play so maybe I missed a spacer?
There should be a little play in the framework; there is on mine at least. Are you sure it is super binding up there? A light shot of oil can help diagnose as well. I'll send pics from mine later this evening to confirm rebuild was done correctly if you think that will help?
Old 07-19-2018, 11:00 AM
qwiketz
CF Senior Member

Well I believe I figured it out. After further inspection it looks like my metal silver bracket that acts as a stop is clocked 90’ out of whack. So the range of motion of the light is 90’ off. Looks like I made a mistake during reassembly.

Looks like i me I have a project for this weekend!

Old 07-19-2018, 10:13 PM
JasBass
CF Senior Member

Well I believe I figured it out. After further inspection it looks like my metal silver bracket that acts as a stop is clocked 90’ out of whack. So the range of motion of the light is 90’ off. Looks like I made a mistake during reassembly.

Looks like i me I have a project for this weekend!
Lol I hear ya on the weekend projects. Interesting issue though. I’ll have to keep that in mind if I ever have to rebuild mine. Let us know if that ultimately fixes it
Old 07-20-2018, 12:38 AM
qwiketz
CF Senior Member

Lol I hear ya on the weekend projects. Interesting issue though. I’ll have to keep that in mind if I ever have to rebuild mine. Let us know if that ultimately fixes it
btw, good to see that you're working on your c4 as well! Not too many of us at this point.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:25 AM
qwiketz
CF Senior Member

Hi guys. Much eAsier to do the 3dd time around! I now have it working but I’m going to have to keep an eye on the headlight linkage. I’m not sure if a little play caused the silver bracket to slip 90’ out or not. It seems okay upon reassembly and I did test it and they both now work. Hopefully it stays that way!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c4 headlights issue- how to test between module and switch?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: