C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake fluid leaking from pressure switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 09:36 PM
1cooldaddyo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brake fluid leaking from pressure switch

Been trying to find the source of my soft brake pedal on my '85 and I think I may be homing in on it.
​​​​​Soft pedal started when I installed a DRM bias spring in the master cylinder. M/C was pretty old, possibly original so I thought maybe the seals were just worn out. So I got a new one. Put the DRM spring in it. Pedal still goes to the floor.
Today I was fooling around with it and noticed a little fluid spurting out of the pressure switch when I push the pedal (wire disconnected). Seems to me there shouldn't even be fluid in that part.
Also odd (to me) is that fluid flows from the bleeder screws without pushing the pedal.
I'm guessing I screwed up something when installing the spring, but not sure what.
I've done master cylinder replacements beforebefore, but the integral proportioning valve kinda complicates things.
​​​​​
Old 06-04-2018, 10:30 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

You are right, the pressure switch should not have any contact with brake fluid. Unfortunately it sounds like the master cylinder is shot.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:56 AM
1cooldaddyo
Instructor

Supposedly a new m/c. I figure I jacked something up putting the spring in, just can't figure what.
Maybe I'll just run it over to DRM and let them put the spring in.
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (12-28-2023)
Old 06-13-2018, 11:10 PM
1cooldaddyo
Instructor

Got it working, although I'm not totally sure what was wrong.
My suspicion was that either the combination piston wasn't in the right place or I got too much air in it when I moved it from bench bleeding to the car (I couldn't find plugs that would fit the ports).
So I removed the comb piston and reinstalled it, making sure it was seated all the way to the back of the cylinder. the last inch took A LOT of pressure with a screwdriver but it finally thunked solidly into place.
I then jacked the rear to get the m/c level and bled the m/c on the car, then went around and bled the wheel cylinders in order.
Battery is currently dead so I haven't gone for a test drive yet but pedal feels nice and firm.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake fluid leaking from pressure switch

Quick Reply: Brake fluid leaking from pressure switch