C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 03:50 PM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts
Default 1984 headlight issue

I was going to get my car inspected and of course I decided to try my headlights. Well, passenger side opened and the driver side went like half way. After a few more attempts I saw that the headlight cover/bezel had loosened and was jammed against the hood. I managed to get it back in place but then neither of them would open. I have since replaced all 3 relays and as of today the headlight switch. Partial success as the passenger opens/closes fine. If I manually open it the light will close when I push in the switch so I'm thinking motor is fine, no gear problem. But I have noticed with the headlight motor plugged in if I try turning the manual **** there comes a point where I can hear/feel the gears inside turning (sort of like their powered on). Before I break down and call make an appointment with Mr Goodwrench anyone have any suggestions? Yes, a factory service manual would probably help but I'm electrically challenged....
Old 06-04-2018, 06:59 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a similar issue with my '84, but with my passenger side. I replaced the gears, the relays, checked the wires and even bought a fluke multimeter. Nothing fixed it. I ended up buying an entire new motor and that finally fixed my problem. They are pricey, but my frustration finally ended.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:32 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

You may be able to fix this problem, for FREE! Here's a link showing the disassembly procedure. This may be as simple as cleaning the limit switches on the motor shaft.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html

Old 06-05-2018, 04:11 PM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Ok. Got the headlight assembly and motor off and after separating the 2 plugged the motor into the plug and it immediately starts spinning. Pull the light switch out and it spins the other way. Push it back in and it spins the other way. Passenger side is still working correctly. I did take the motor apart, everything looked ok. Sprayed some wd-40 around the electrical connections and blew it out with air. Plugged in again and it immediately starts spinning. So the question is do I need a new motor? Or is it possible one of my new relays is defective? Thanks for any help/guidance.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

With the motor removed from the headlight door and the motor spins as soon as you connect it, and the motor reverses when you turn on the headlight switch, that says your relays and the motor are good!

When the motor is installed in the headlight door assembly, it can spin only until the headlight door hits the stops. When the motor gets "stalled" because the headlight door hits the stops, the worm gear on the motor shaft will "climb" up or down on the pinion gear. This "climbing" of the worm gear causes the motor shaft to slide in its bearings, which actuates the limit switches!

That's the only time the limit switches come into the picture. The limit switches CANNOT OPERATE unless the door hits the physical stop, and the motor shaft is forced to "climb" the pinion gear. So unless the motor is installed in the headlight door assembly, the motor will continue to spin!

Be sure the limit switches are clean, and lubricate the motor shaft bearings with a light weight white grease, like LubriPlate or CRC Sta-Lube.

(This only applies to the '84-'87 headlights.)

Old 06-06-2018, 03:42 PM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Got it. I took it apart again and didn't really see anything that looked out of place/broken/etc. The white gear had a few teeth that there was very slight wear but looked good overall. Is there any certain procedure when re-installing the motor back on to the headlight assembly? Right now my headlight is in the closed position. When I re-attach the motor and plug it in will the motor adjust itself to the position the headlight is in or is there something I must do? I appreciate your help !!!
Old 06-06-2018, 06:30 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

When you plug it in, the motor will "grunt" a little as it pushes against the headlight door stop, then should quit the noise. Pull you headlight switch to "ON" and marvel at your own good work as the lights come on and the headlight doors open!

Old 06-08-2018, 12:41 PM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Update: cleaned the contacts, sealed the case with silicone and installed the motor. Sure enough, when I plugged it in it "grunted" and stopped. Pulled the switch and...nope. Passenger side worked, nothing on the driver side. So I'm guessing there is something broken (as a result of it being jammed) or simply just worn out. Came home and ordered a refurbished one that I should have in a week or so. Again, thanks for the help !!!!
Old 06-23-2018, 05:16 PM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

UPDATE; the new motor arrived yesterday and since there was no time like the present I switched it out. Plugged it in and heard the "grunt". OK, that's a good sign. Pulled out the headlight **** and...nada, zilch....damn !!! Hmmm..., could it be one of my new relays was garbage? Luckily I had saved them just in case. Figured out which relay was which, unplugged the new one, plugged in one of the old ones, pulled the **** and ...SUCCESS !!! Then of course I had to fix the loose headlight cover issue so took it all apart again to gain access to 2 screws. Found one of the tabs was partially broken so put in a larger clip and that seemed to hold it in place. So for now both are working and I can drive it after dark ! Thanks to all who offered their help/suggestions/expertise !!

Last edited by ls777z; 06-23-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 headlight issue

Quick Reply: 1984 headlight issue