C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

help - loss of power in '85

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 12:26 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

excellent thanks everyone -
Old 06-21-2018, 12:31 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
they will fit fine.

on my iron heads, (u have ironhead if stock) i dont use anti seize and i always torque to spec. if u dont have a torque wrench just dont strip the threads.

on my aluminum head (87) i use a small wipe of anti seize. metal to aluminum can seriously bind with minimal corrosion.

ive used dielectric off and on and i dont know if it helps.
I usually do 1 turn past finger tight on spark plugs (assuming you can get your fingers in place to spin it). They don't need to be super tight, and having to re-tap spark plug holes was no fun on our flathead tractor, no way I'd want to do it on the car.

When I went to do plugs on my 78 LTD, I found out why dialectic grease is used - a plug had corroded itself to the wire, to the point pliers wouldn't separate them. They were original plugs and wires, so no big loss, but getting the plug out was awkward using a wrench with the wire flopping all over the place.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:54 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
yes updated to .35

man. ive done plugs on my car many times and i still find the passenger side frustrating as heck. if u insist on doing plug checks before cap/rotor checks, here are some helpful tips im sure others have even better tips to add: . #2, you may find that you can straight shot in with a long enough extension to reach the plug from the wheel side of the well, my 85 i couldnt, my 86 and 87 i can. no idea why the difference. for 4 and 6, i find i turn around and face away from car and reach in with "feel" for the plugs hole. ive always found putting the plug into the socket with the rubber retainer is easiest and i may need a small extension or wobly to hold in my hand to guid it into the threads. i wiggle wiggle the plug to get it started while turning.

if u pull off the cap first to check for grenaded rotor/cap and its fine, might as well leave it off until after the plugs are individually checked because if plugs are good, you will likely end up putting in a new icm under the cap.

good luck, were rooting for u.
Maybe I've just done them enough but the wrench isn't the hard part for me with the plugs-it's getting the danged wire off the plug without destroying it. #2 is in an especially difficult spot to reach.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:24 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

rotor and cap looked fine - I did not see any signs of burns or breakage I did replace the cap and rotor - nonetheless - just to check it off the list

side note while in there I re-taped and replaced oil sending units to stop an annoying leak hopefully

any tips for the plugs and wires - it took about 10 minutes just to get a wire off on the passengers side - I have thought about removing the air pump emissions stuff maybe more so now

I have extensions and elbows the turn and twist but I cannot get any movement

any suggestions?
Old 06-21-2018, 06:03 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Originally Posted by sb66
rotor and cap looked fine - I did not see any signs of burns or breakage I did replace the cap and rotor - nonetheless - just to check it off the list

side note while in there I re-taped and replaced oil sending units to stop an annoying leak hopefully

any tips for the plugs and wires - it took about 10 minutes just to get a wire off on the passengers side - I have thought about removing the air pump emissions stuff maybe more so now

any suggestions?
Patience is the secret to getting the plugs/wires off. Get your pointer finger wrapped around the angled part of the boot on the wire, then grip hard with your thumb. You can wiggle and yank, so long as you only grab it by the boot, and you pull straight, or close to straight. Grippy gloves can help, I have several pairs of Kincos that have rubberized grips on them (similar to the rubber guys used for removing stuck can lids).

The plugs are fairly easy to remove with stock headers. Get your deep well spark plug socket, find the plug by hand, then get the socket on. If you have long arms, you can do this kneeling down. If you have short arms, you could take a tire off and get a little closer. You can also just hunch over the side of the car. Once the socket is on, grab a ratchet, and your set of extensions. Find an extension that will get you enough clearance, then take the plug out. For the drivers side, I used a 3in extension, two of the passenger side plugs needed a 2in extension, and I could only get 1/8 turn on the ratchet, but that's all it takes.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:11 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

any suggestions?
just to clarify, are you saying that u are trying to unthread the plug from the heads and you can't break it loose?
Old 06-21-2018, 06:42 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

sorry about all that - that was just I don't know what to call that - it was tight and traditional what I had was not working - so I found 3/4 open end and spark socket that and an offset 19mm box end wrench - and away we went - started on what to me was the more difficult side - passenger - driver side almost seemed too easy comparatively
Old 06-21-2018, 06:43 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

I will say that the emissions air pump stuff does not help any
Old 06-21-2018, 06:46 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

boy those were bigger than I thought they would be

plugs - to me anyhow - look pretty ugly
Old 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

almost forgot - I forgot to take a picture to show the difference in the plugs - the rapid fire are noticeably longer to the boot side - 1/4" or more
Old 06-21-2018, 07:55 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

I want to say an enormous THANK YOU to all that helped -if not for your patience with me and advice to be patient and methodical - and pointing me in the right direction each time - you guys nailed it. I just got back from a short ride to see how everything felt - that was fun - had a little pep in it's step

I realize I am not out of the woods entirely because looking at those plugs means something is not right on the inside - just not sure what and how much. I am sure I will be re-posting and asking about that soon enough

thanks again everyone

Sean
Old 06-21-2018, 08:12 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

did u find a plug with a crack in the porcelain?
Old 06-21-2018, 08:19 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

I will give them a closer look - I did not see one initially - I'll put on my other glasses so I can see a little closer
Old 06-21-2018, 09:31 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

I did not see any with evident cracks unless it is a hairline that would show up under heat and stress - if that makes any sense - the plugs were pretty wet with oil and the electrodes (center?). were almost non-existent - very skinny and small - could not speculate if they were gapped correctly or not
compared with what I just put in pretty big difference. - I will watch over the next few days of driving if it starts up again - then I will need to look at that control module you spoke of-

from the looks though there will need to be some internal work done - question is how soon before I need to?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:36 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

I want to say an enormous THANK YOU to all that helped -if not for your patience with me and advice to be patient and methodical - and pointing me in the right direction each time - you guys nailed it. I just got back from a short ride to see how everything felt - that was fun - had a little pep in it's step

I realize I am not out of the woods entirely because looking at those plugs means something is not right on the inside - just not sure what and how much. I am sure I will be re-posting and asking about that soon enough

thanks again everyone

Sean
Plugs can wear out. Heck, those could have been used plugs for all we know. My trouble plug was fouled, but I don't think anything is wrong with the car - the plug just wore out.

I'm glad that we solved the rough running!
The following users liked this post:
sb66 (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 09:53 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

yeah if its running great now it isnt the ignition control module.

i think ill change my plugs!!!

nice work getting to the bottom of it.
sb66 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:57 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

This sounds exactly like the issue I'm having-I'm getting oil into the cylinders (my plugs look JUST LIKE yours). Every couple thousand miles I've had to change plugs because they eventually foul and lead to running like crap. I'm also losing oil at about a quart per 500 miles. You may want to keep an eye on your oil level. I'm thinking it's bad valves seals but haven't had a chance to do the job yet. Could also be gaskets someplace. Anyway, all that to say it seems like your issue is nearly identical so those are things to start with.
sb66 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 06:08 AM
sb66
Burning Brakes

thanks - valve stem seals was what I was thinking as well - but you know when you open it up you never know what you are going to find - and then you also may think what else can I afford to do while you're in there . . . .

thanks again everyone!
Old 06-22-2018, 07:13 AM
sumrtoy
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Going with a couple others here. Worked yesterday and not today? Not likely compression/valves/ugly bad stuff. Sounds like fuel. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Could be a $20 problem.

Quick Reply: help - loss of power in '85