C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help getting me started.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 02:41 PM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help getting me started.

..I am about to install heads, cam intake etc.
Now to the tuning part, how do I get started? I whant to learn how to tune my new "beast". What books,info is good to read? What hardware/software should I get?
I really whant to learn this. Guid me right..

thanks
Old 10-22-2002, 04:45 AM
ol,RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Help getting me started. (devilfish)

you can do it :cheers:
it just takes research (everything you need to know is on the web).
I spent alot of time searching the Thirdgen site, their DYI prom section can be searched back to the day it started (I think).

I use the following (and like it) but there are other products out there.
diacom-p (scanning software with a old laptop).

tunercat (to edit the bin file, you have to get the appropriate definition file too).

pocket programmer II (this pysically burns the e-prom)

Graig Moates adapter ( this lets you remove just the prom, worth every penny IMHO)

A big notebook (you gotta keep notes on what you do!, I use the date as the bin name to keep things in order)

first find out what style ecm, bin, ect. you have (that way you won't get confused by the info for other styles while your doing research).

if you run into anything that you can't figure out just ask about it here!
Old 10-22-2002, 01:25 PM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help getting me started. (ol,RJ)

ok thanks.

Is there any good books on how a EFI system works? How do you tune the car? Do you just add more fuel at some rpm using a wide 02 as a censor?

thanks
Old 10-22-2002, 03:43 PM
ol,RJ
Burning Brakes

depends on how radical the new set up is.

best thing to do is start off slow.
you can use the BLM number as a reference to adjust idle and cruise, and thats where to start.

get it running with the stock chip, hook up the scan tool (always wait till its fully warmed up so the data will stablize).
just do the idle first, try to get the BLM's close to 128 ( below 128 is rich, above 128 is lean ).
Use the injector constant to adjust, if you make the inj const bigger that leans the mixture, smaller enrichen's.

my 86 vette use's a MAF but I think yours is a Speed Density system, so there may be some differences in what you have to adjust (VE tables are used on the SD I think), but the general idea is the same, test a rpm then adjust to get close to a 128 BLM.

WOT is different, you use the O2 sensor (or a wideband, even better) to guide you. ideally you want the O2 to read 850-900mv while at WOT.

thats a short explaination, there is way to much involved for one person to explain. I printed out over 100 pages of stuff off the web for reading and reference later. (seems like there is a book on fuel injection, I havn't read it). don't let the amount of stuff get you down though, you'll only have to change/work with a few items to get it running correctly compared to all the stuff thats in there.

the best thing about burning your own is, you are going to be willing to keep making it better and will spend more time on it than anyone you could pay to do it.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:59 PM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

ok thanks alot!

Could you post some links that have good info I can print out?

And the mods im going to do is:

Heads
Cam
exhaust
intake

Regards
Old 10-23-2002, 03:27 AM
ol,RJ
Burning Brakes

unfortunatly I lost all my saved web pages in a computer crash :mad
I'll see what I can find.

the "C4 scan and tune FAQ" sticky post has most of the major links in it. (like thirdgen and others).
heres a few I could find. (the first is "the big list of definition's")
http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/faq/biglist.txt
http://www.diy-efi.org/diy_efi/oem/gm/tuneup.html

all the other pages I have are questions and answers from the thirdgen DIY prom forum, and are probably more MAF orientated.

please be sure to read the sticky post's at the Thirdgen DIY prom site (and here too) Trax's intro into prom burning is very good (unfortunatly it won't let you print that one) you'll want to bookmark that one so you can read it several times.
you can spend hours on end doing search's over there (and its worth it) those guys (and some of the guys here) are hardcore! they go way beyond simple prom burning and into hex/building your own code (way over my head) but you won't need to know that stuff for your mod's.

oh, BTW, the guys on the thridgen site don't like answering simple questions (they've done it so many times they just tell people to search the archives).

its sorta like taking a course at school again (with you having to do computer search's to find the answers), there will be a few times the old head will ache from all the thinking. I'd start with the FAQ's then do a search on your style ECM setup to find what variables apply to it, then just search each of the important variable's to find out more about what they do (remember you won't be adjusting everything).

hopefully one of the guys in here with speed density will chime in and give some pointers on what to look at. (I have not looked too deeply into the SD set ups yet)

[Modified by ol,RJ, 2:07 AM 10/23/2002]

[Modified by ol,RJ, 2:09 AM 10/23/2002]
Old 10-23-2002, 05:41 PM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

I search the thirdgen.org site. I dident find anything for newbees ther.
What do I need first?

I got a laptop. I know my way around electronics.
Could you list what I need for my 91 vette.?
Thanks alot :)
Old 10-24-2002, 01:14 AM
ol,RJ
Burning Brakes

try this:
http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/promintro.shtml

I think your ECM is a #1227727 (or a #1227730)
the correct definition file (for tunercat) is a $8D
so if you want to use tunercat, all you need to get from them is:
the tuner (version 1.73) and the $8D definition file.

that and the pocket programmer is all you need to burn prom's but you'll need either an eraser or the Graig moates adapter and some EE-proms, Graig sells the adapter with 2 EE-proms (I suggest you go with the adapter its alot easier).

[Modified by ol,RJ, 12:01 AM 10/24/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Help getting me started.

Quick Reply: Help getting me started.