C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fixed! excessive pressure in fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Dakotaz
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Having the same problem. Just back from a 1400 mile trip and noticed that the fuel expanded most when the engine was running on the hot side but not over heating which makes sense. My concern was I could smell it when the top was up or really smell it when the top was down even driving 70 MPH. This tells me the gas cap does vent at a certain pressure but my concern was if that cap vent failed then something like above with a stretched strap or worse yet the tank breaking at the seam with gas going everywhere. Mine is a 1990 L98 so I just left the cap a little loose to let it vent all the time. No codes with the cap loose on mine. One time taking the cap off it actually popped the cap off at the end of the threads and another time it vented for two to three minutes. That cannot be right. Bad news it looks like the vapor canister is discontinued so hopefully it will be one of the other parts or the lines. Won't know for awhile due to my travel schedule coming up but will try to remember to post what I did to fix it when done.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakotaz
Having the same problem. Just back from a 1400 mile trip and noticed that the fuel expanded most when the engine was running on the hot side but not over heating which makes sense. My concern was I could smell it when the top was up or really smell it when the top was down even driving 70 MPH. This tells me the gas cap does vent at a certain pressure but my concern was if that cap vent failed then something like above with a stretched strap or worse yet the tank breaking at the seam with gas going everywhere. Mine is a 1990 L98 so I just left the cap a little loose to let it vent all the time. No codes with the cap loose on mine. One time taking the cap off it actually popped the cap off at the end of the threads and another time it vented for two to three minutes. That cannot be right. Bad news it looks like the vapor canister is discontinued so hopefully it will be one of the other parts or the lines. Won't know for awhile due to my travel schedule coming up but will try to remember to post what I did to fix it when done.
What if you disconnected the vent tube at the gas tank and just vented to atmosphere?
Old 08-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Dakotaz
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
What if you disconnected the vent tube at the gas tank and just vented to atmosphere?
I've thought of that with maybe putting a fuel filer on it to keep any bad crap out in case of a vacuum. Still concerned about the odor unless maybe a hose routed to below bumper level... The other thing, we have emissions down here which would be a problem. I did just acquire collector insurance which I believe gives a pass on doing the emissions but need to confirm. Will still try to fix properly if possible. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: Fixed! excessive pressure in fuel tank