C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Corvette stops running until cooled off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Richcam1
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette stops running until cooled off.

I have a 1993 40th anniv. that keeps shutting off. I took off the battery ground cable cleaned it up and reinstalled. I only stops when the engine is hot. If you can help please do. thanks
Old 07-09-2018, 09:48 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Probably not your issue but here goes. Years ago had a fuel pump pushrod worn just enough to do what you describe. First thing you need to determine if it's a fuel or electrical issue.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:48 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You might remove both batt leads and also freshen up the + lead.

Does it get hot enough to stall just idling up while parked?
Old 07-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Richcam1
Navigator

Originally Posted by 65Z01

I have done both battery leads. If I am on the highway it does not stall, it is just when I am in town. Yesterday I drove about 100 miles in the morning to my boys house, we went to the store shortly after I got there and when we came out it would not start. I let it cool down for about an hour then it started right up, drove about a mile and it stalled again. waited for it to cool down the headed home, ran good all the way. I did pick up a DTC32 (EGR) code on the way home.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:00 PM
Richcam1
Navigator

Originally Posted by hope2
Probably not your issue but here goes. Years ago had a fuel pump pushrod worn just enough to do what you describe. First thing you need to determine if it's a fuel or electrical issue.
Would that worn pushrod show on a fuel pressure check?
Old 07-09-2018, 06:48 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

If the warm Pump cannot supply sufficient flow it should show up as insufficient pressure when it won't start. Also, it will show "normal" FP so you will know if it's too low.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:51 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Richcam1
Would that worn pushrod show on a fuel pressure check?
Nope. That would be advanced diagnostics. Put your pressure gauge on see whats up.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:03 PM
RalfKramden
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

May be the pick-up coil in the distributor is bad. Had that happen when I was working as a mechanic. Once the engine heated up, it created an open in the coil. Once it cooled off, it would re-start.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:20 PM
gpierce
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Nope. That would be advanced diagnostics. Put your pressure gauge on see whats up.
Uh, there are no fuel pump pushrods on a 93 C4. In fact there is no fuel pump pushrods on any stock C4 as they all have electric fuel pumps!
Old 07-09-2018, 08:23 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

When an ignition module goes out, the classic example is the car dying when hot. Although not always a fan of parts swapping, you might want to change out the ignition module. It's a really easy thing to do on your car.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:49 PM
Richcam1
Navigator

Originally Posted by RalfKramden
May be the pick-up coil in the distributor is bad. Had that happen when I was working as a mechanic. Once the engine heated up, it created an open in the coil. Once it cooled off, it would re-start.
Put a new distributor in the car 3 years ago. Probably had less than 20K on it. Is there anyway to check that?
Old 07-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Richcam1
Navigator

Originally Posted by 383vett
When an ignition module goes out, the classic example is the car dying when hot. Although not always a fan of parts swapping, you might want to change out the ignition module. It's a really easy thing to do on your car.
I will try that, thanks.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Richcam1
Navigator

Originally Posted by 65Z01

Haven't really let it idle that long. However, sunday I drove about 1.5 mi, while the car was hot, and parked to go into store and when I came out it wouldn"t start until it was cooled down.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:20 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

Maybe you can repeat that kind of short drive ending at home so you can check fuel pressure during no start.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:25 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Rebuilt distributors are famous for using cheap parts. 20K is probably double the miles they promise.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:41 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Sounds like a heat soak problem like RalfKramden noted in his reply. The coils in a couple of my injectors failed the same way.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:25 PM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
My sentiments exactly.

Was a tech for over 35 years. Always had "known good parts" to swap in for troubleshooting purposes. In this case, an Ignition Control Module (ICM) is a perfect example. A common symptom of a bad ICM is that when it heats up it dies. Same for many electronic components. An ICM at RockAuto prices at $12 and up... and it's an easy swap. To drive home the ICM heat issue, they sell, for good reason, ICM Heatsinks for GM ICM's starting at around $22 bucks. I've been a tech of many disciplines and have worked on electronics, mechanical, and electro-mechanical devices going back to the turn of the century, and some things never change. In my early days of learning, an experienced tech once told me, "when troubleshooting, think Lazy". He just meant to do the simplest things first.

I had a couple of similar problems such as the one presented here on a '91 Sunbird. 1st time it turned out to be a cheap Crankshaft Sensor. 2nd time it turned out to be a Fusible Link. The link didn't blow completely and was hardly discolored. But the bad connection inside would heat up and then separate at the solder joint. I didn't discover that myself. That little tidbit was passed on to me by another tech, and of course, it was true. After that, I included a full set of fusible links in my own personal roadside assistance kit.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:42 PM
Richcam1
Navigator

Originally Posted by RedHot85Vette
My sentiments exactly.

Was a tech for over 35 years. Always had "known good parts" to swap in for troubleshooting purposes. In this case, an Ignition Control Module (ICM) is a perfect example. A common symptom of a bad ICM is that when it heats up it dies. Same for many electronic components. An ICM at RockAuto prices at $12 and up... and it's an easy swap. To drive home the ICM heat issue, they sell, for good reason, ICM Heatsinks for GM ICM's starting at around $22 bucks. I've been a tech of many disciplines and have worked on electronics, mechanical, and electro-mechanical devices going back to the turn of the century, and some things never change. In my early days of learning, an experienced tech once told me, "when troubleshooting, think Lazy". He just meant to do the simplest things first.

I had a couple of similar problems such as the one presented here on a '91 Sunbird. 1st time it turned out to be a cheap Crankshaft Sensor. 2nd time it turned out to be a Fusible Link. The link didn't blow completely and was hardly discolored. But the bad connection inside would heat up and then separate at the solder joint. I didn't discover that myself. That little tidbit was passed on to me by another tech, and of course, it was true. After that, I included a full set of fusible links in my own personal roadside assistance kit.

I just changed out the ICM will take it for a drive and see what happens.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:44 PM
Richcam1
Navigator

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Rebuilt distributors are famous for using cheap parts. 20K is probably double the miles they promise.
Not a rebuild.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette stops running until cooled off.

Quick Reply: Corvette stops running until cooled off.