C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Manual transmission conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 01:51 PM
Adam2980
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual transmission conversion

I have an 84 c4 with a sb 350 and I need to find out what manual transmission will fit with out extensive modification. Any help would be appreciated. The stock transmission is a 700r4.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:24 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Without extensive modification, None. It's a huge undertaking and better to just get a manual car.

Aside from the transmission w/ bellhousing
Clutch
Flywheel
Hydraulics
Pedals

You'll also need a cutout of the trans tunnel on a manual transmission car and glass it in.

And the ECU may (not certain) pop a check engine code if it doesn't see the trans there; unsure how to rectify that (dunno if a 4+3 ECU will solve that).

Oh, and your rear gear will (probably0 be garbage for the manual trans; will probably want to change that too. . .

So again, easier to just buy a manual trans car.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:57 PM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Without extensive modification, None. It's a huge undertaking and better to just get a manual car.

Aside from the transmission w/ bellhousing
Clutch
Flywheel
Hydraulics
Pedals

You'll also need a cutout of the trans tunnel on a manual transmission car and glass it in.

And the ECU may (not certain) pop a check engine code if it doesn't see the trans there; unsure how to rectify that (dunno if a 4+3 ECU will solve that).

Oh, and your rear gear will (probably0 be garbage for the manual trans; will probably want to change that too. . .

So again, easier to just buy a manual trans car.
My '84 was an auto car but now has a LQ9 and TKO600. The previous owner did the swap. There is some small fiberglass work near the shifter hole but it is just a small patch and definitely is not a glassed in tunnel from a manual car.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:22 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I have a black tag ZF 6 speed for sale for you if interested. There is s thread in the C4 parts for sale section. I live in Missouri however. I can guarantee it’s in great shape.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual transmission conversion

Quick Reply: Manual transmission conversion