C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Super ram

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 10:38 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Super ram

would it be worthwhile to go from my LTR AS&M runner and ported plenum setup and go to a super ram plenum? I already have the super ram base on. I’m running the lingenfelter 211/219 cam and AFR heads. In the middle of a tranny rebuild now but this would be the last big thing I would want to do to the motor.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:29 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by kitttransam
would it be worthwhile to go from my LTR AS&M runner and ported plenum setup and go to a super ram plenum? I already have the super ram base on. I’m running the lingenfelter 211/219 cam and AFR heads. In the middle of a tranny rebuild now but this would be the last big thing I would want to do to the motor.
No mention of your transmission, shift kit, and/or gearing. Maybe you are asking to determine what stall to install? Rarely do people talk of rebuilding ZF6...which is possible with your 89. Assuming you have an auto and the performance rear end for 1989, You'll definitely like the SR better ... especially for hwy passing and/or track racing. If you drive primarily around the city (like me), you may be happier if you stick with the long tubes. (In other words, if you drive in lower rpms way more often). That said, your heads are good enough and the cam is big enough (for those heads) that you'll definitely generate more horsepower with the SuperRam. FWIW, If I was running an automatic (unless it had hwy gears), I'd opt for the SR vs longtubes. No question.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:55 AM
kitttransam
Racer

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
No mention of your transmission, shift kit, and/or gearing. Maybe you are asking to determine what stall to install? Rarely do people talk of rebuilding ZF6...which is possible with your 89. Assuming you have an auto and the performance rear end for 1989, You'll definitely like the SR better ... especially for hwy passing and/or track racing. If you drive primarily around the city (like me), you may be happier if you stick with the long tubes. (In other words, if you drive in lower rpms way more often). That said, your heads are good enough and the cam is big enough (for those heads) that you'll definitely generate more horsepower with the SuperRam. FWIW, If I was running an automatic (unless it had hwy gears), I'd opt for the SR vs longtubes. No question.
yeah I have an auto and 3.07 gears. I ordered a modified transgo shift kit from probuilt going to be part of my tranny rebuild. I’m going to order a vigilante torque converter. I actually already sent my info before thinking about the super ram. But have not ordered yet. I was thinking about a 2400 stall. That should be fine either way shouldn’t it?
Old 08-16-2018, 09:24 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I was looking at some old files last night and came across some dyno pulls of my car in 2003. The major components are ported 113 aluminum heads, LPE 219 cam, Superram, 1.6 rockers, and Hooker long tube headers. It never really had a good tune on it so don't take this as a perfect example, but here's an idea of the SR's power band if it helps you with decisions.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:29 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It is worthwhile, but you really need the tune to set it up well. I run a SR.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:03 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Get the SuperRam. I ran one for decades. Great street/strip manifold. I only switched to a Miniram because my 84 is no longer a street car and I can eek out a few more high rpm horses with the Mini. The SuperRam has a huge, flat torque curve and mine pulled to 6400 (extrude honed though). You'll be more than happy with it.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:39 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 253 Likes on 212 Posts

From the old article: Ten Times the Torque, the Superram is worth about 20 hp over the the best LTR setup. See attachment. Its up to you if the 20 hp is worth the scratch for SR uppers. I also have a Superram. Turns out it also works very well with forced induction as the torque never really falls off with rising boost.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by tequilaboy:
Benny42 (09-01-2018), ctmccloskey (09-19-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 02:26 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

It never really had a good tune on it so don't take this as a perfect example, but here's an idea of the SR's power band if it helps you with decisions.
Still 100+over stock not bad at all!
KITT do the SR....port the daylights out of the base, thats a lot more restrictive than the runners. You can pull another 40cfm out of it if you got time..and are careful. Youll feel that
plus its Ca legal, not much is anymore. Do you own a TA with the KITT license plate, seen one running around.
Whaddya want for your ASMs?

Last edited by cv67; 08-16-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Still 100+over stock not bad at all!
KITT do the SR....port the daylights out of the base, thats a lot more restrictive than the runners. You can pull another 40cfm out of it if you got time..and are careful. Youll feel that
plus its Ca legal, not much is anymore. Do you own a TA with the KITT license plate, seen one running around.
Whaddya want for your ASMs?
lol I used to have an 84 TA. I did most of the knight rider conversion on it. Then I bought the corvette. Long story short my dumb *** sold the TA. Kick myself in the *** everyday.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:49 PM
kitttransam
Racer

You know what I’m getting the damn thing. Their hard to find anyways.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:50 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

yeah I have an auto and 3.07 gears. I ordered a modified transgo shift kit from probuilt going to be part of my tranny rebuild. I’m going to order a vigilante torque converter. I actually already sent my info before thinking about the super ram. But have not ordered yet. I was thinking about a 2400 stall. That should be fine either way shouldn’t it?
I run a 2400 Vigilante with my combo as well, its as high as I'd go with a street-driven car. My first Vigilante had a lot of chatter at lockup, but PI replaced it.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:55 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

You know what I’m getting the damn thing. Their hard to find anyways.
Once you install it, I hope you'll come back here and report your impressions of the differences.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:03 PM
kitttransam
Racer

I was never sure if I was going to ever switch since they are pricey. But since I just took some money out recently from the house decided to take care of some things. Including getting my car where I want it to be at. It’s going to be a bit though. I just ordered a bunch of transmission goodies. Ordering my torque converter tomorrow. I’ll be getting my tranny done first then install the super ram. Super ram is ordered from eBay. Looks original no polish or paint.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:35 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I have an 89 with AFR 195's, 3.33s, and a 214/214 cammed 383 LTR setup. In my case, it's a pretty good match to stick with the tubes cause I like tons of street torque. It's right on the border of spinning in 3rd running 315's (depends on the weather/road conditions). I've considered swapping to an HSR (which runs out a hair more than a SR) but I might be less inclined to swap if I had 3.07s -- with my ZF6. With an auto though....yeah. Overall, with an auto, I still think you'll be happy with the swap to a SR.
To be honest, the biggest reason I've stuck with longtubes is how seldom I'm on the hwy.
^^^Sorry....Not the whole story.

I hogged (megaported) SLP longtubes out so much, I was shooting for SR-like power curve and performance. For those of you who remember Mick Stevens, he cautioned me against actually using a superram. Mick said Lingenfelter [personally] told him manufacturing QC suffered at times -- meaning some units could have problems sealing (with lid). In the 10yrs since then, I can only remember one/two complaints on this board. IIRC, one of those was fixed with the manufacture of another lid. My setup was intended to avoid that possibility and appear a bit more stealth. Had I not been cautioned by Mick, I would have picked a SuperRam for sure. As it was, I still sought that same power curve...using an alternate method.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 08-19-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:47 AM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Here is my dyno from LPE. You can see most of the specs in my sig. Another vote here for the SR.

Last edited by Snakecharmer383; 08-18-2018 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:38 AM
Mjet67
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I put a Super ram on my 89 last winter, Been great so far! Followed installation tips from many on these forums, Vader 86 has lot of info on his site, Dmittz added a superram as part of his build, lots of info there (Thanks Guys). Had my 700R4 rebuilt and put in a 2500 stall TC. Added LT headers....next step for me is cam and new heads, How do you like the LPE 211/219? Looking at that vs. the LPE 219/219.
Which AFR heads do you have? Good luck with the Super ram!!
Old 08-18-2018, 08:50 AM
kitttransam
Racer

Originally Posted by Mjet67
I put a Super ram on my 89 last winter, Been great so far! Followed installation tips from many on these forums, Vader 86 has lot of info on his site, Dmittz added a superram as part of his build, lots of info there (Thanks Guys). Had my 700R4 rebuilt and put in a 2500 stall TC. Added LT headers....next step for me is cam and new heads, How do you like the LPE 211/219? Looking at that vs. the LPE 219/219.
Which AFR heads do you have? Good luck with the Super ram!!
i have 180cc heads. I had the zz4 before I got the 211. Definitely like the 211 cam. And I have 1.6 rockers now. So more lift. I already have LT headers and a Borla exhaust. After I got the tune squared away it would pull hard. Need new tires though. They don’t grip good enough off the line. I wasn’t sure about getting the super ram. I would’ve gotten the 219/219 if knew I was getting it. But oh well I’m sure it will still run great.

Get notified of new replies

To Super ram

Old 08-18-2018, 09:00 AM
kitttransam
Racer

So how much of a pain in the butt is it putting the super ram plenum on? The AS &M runners were no picnic either for the bottom runner bolts. Have to have the valve covers on before putting those runners on. And use a small magnet to get the bottom bolts in. And they have to be Allen bolts so you can use a long ball tip Allen socket.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:49 AM
Mjet67
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

So how much of a pain in the butt is it putting the super ram plenum on? The AS &M runners were no picnic either for the bottom runner bolts. Have to have the valve covers on before putting those runners on. And use a small magnet to get the bottom bolts in. And they have to be Allen bolts so you can use a long ball tip Allen socket.
It's no picnic...but if you take your time, it goes fine. I studded the center bolts into the runners then bolted the plenum from the top/inside on those. Put my valve covers on after all was set, had to remove some rocker arms to get bottom bolts of runners in. Had to grind edges of valve covers (aftermarket) to get them on.
All in all took my time went pretty smooth, no vaccuum leaks when done.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:52 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

I had the Superram with the 74219 cam. After tuning, it was great.

Quick Reply: Super ram