C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Super Ram - Oil Leak - Shocked huh?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 01:30 AM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Super Ram - Oil Leak - Shocked huh?

So been chasing this oil leak for what feels like an eternity now. The car has sat for the last few years and not driven alot (maybe 300 miles in 3 yrs.) but now that I have more time and my daughter loves being in the car I want to get things straightened out with it. Took the car up last year for inspection and we discussed the oil leak. Came back to get the car later on and he stated he believed it was the back of the intake. Told him that it was a PITA to remove intake, blah blah blah and he stated he would do it on a sunday so he don't tie up his garage. Dropped car off last sunday after getting the gaskets, etc expecting him to do the intake and at pick up he says he don't believe it's the intake that he believes it was the distributor and oil sending unit. Stated he removed and resealed them. I drive the car home and get home and see a line of oil (more then before) going into my garage. Call him and he says he put dye in and to bring it up one day this week in the evening. Well today was that day. It was nice out so I took it up. I was irritated that he didn't drive it or check after adding the dye to see if it was still leaking. Anyway, this evening he puts the car up and its covered in oil underneath on the driver's side. So he cleans it off and starts it and let's it idle and up again she goes in the air. Using a small camera it was almost impossible even for me looking up to determine where it was coming from. All around the oil filter is soaked and above it's so tight to see it is ridiculous. Car goes down and looking from the top there is oil laying in the rear valley (behind dizzy but more on driver's side) Now he said when the dizzy was out and he resealed oil sending unit he cleaned all that up so it should be dry. He thinks and I'm agreeing from what I've seen today that it's coming from the oil sending unit "elbow". Anyway that could be cracked and leaking, etc? He did not have the elbow out just the sending unit to reseal he stated. The last two time the intake was off the first time these were not messed with and the last time it was removed and reinstalled.

He said and I have not looked yet that Summit, etc sells a pigtail type remote sending unit. He wants to remove dizzy to access elbow/sending unit and remove sending unit then cut off the elbow and back it out and then replace with this new longer 8-12" pigtail for the sending unit so that the Super Ram doesn't need to be removed.

Any thoughts or needs for clarification I'm all ears!!!
Old 08-24-2018, 05:41 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Shouldnt matter....no bites on the car? Youve put too much work into to start over with something else.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:58 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

If adapter is cracked it seems 40 psi would spray oil. Threads could seep. IDK how much room you have.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:25 AM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kevova
If adapter is cracked it seems 40 psi would spray oil. Threads could seep. IDK how much room you have.

Very true. I wouldn't call it a spray but to me it's alot. This is pulling into the garage not stopping. You can see the line of oil. At a light it is embarrassing when the car is burning the oil and it's smoking. If it's not the elbow or coming out from the elbow I'm at a complete loss.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:43 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

You could use a oil pump primer to pressurize oil system. Possibly see where leak is coming from.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:17 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

That's a lot of oil. A China wall leak or distributor gasket leak shouldn't pour out oil like that. That oil was under pressure leaving the sender unit or the elbow if the leak does originate from that area. If the elbow is cut, obviously be careful of any metal getting in the engine via the distributor opening or through the elbow.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:03 AM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Well Im losing my mind lol
Theres only so many places it could be coming from. I'm not crazy about cutting the elbow but not removing the intake is a bonus IF this is the problem. Tired of throwing money at this car.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:26 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Gotta be under pressure like 383vett said. These are never ending!
Fix it, put it up for sale. Maybe something late model might be a good change...that already is quick and a little less maintenance. Changes as we get older. Like driving them dont have the funds or motivation to work on em either
Old 08-27-2018, 10:15 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Gotta be under pressure like 383vett said. These are never ending!
Fix it, put it up for sale. Maybe something late model might be a good change...that already is quick and a little less maintenance. Changes as we get older. Like driving them dont have the funds or motivation to work on em either
I love driving it I'm just tired of this leak. Compared to the new Z my dad just purchased I still have a spot for this car and can't think of ever getting rid of it. Lots of memories in the car and with dad putting the engine in, etc. The car is just simply "raw" compared to the new one with all the assists, etc.

I just never heard of this pigtail this guy is saying will get rid of the 90 degree elbow. Next Monday it is getting done at this point so fingers crossed.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:28 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

I vote that it's the rear china wall. My '90 drove me crazy for a while. I had a similar leak after rebuilding me engine. First I found a bad sender (used compressed air and it blew right through). Great problem fixed. Nope, still leaks. Pull the intake and the rear china wall has places where the silicone never stuck (Permatex Ultra) and some that never hardened. Cleaned it all up again and used the "right stuff" after finding a can that wasn't set-up in the tube. No more oil leak! Now I have an injector leak... These cars require lots of patience sometimes.

Last edited by jv9999; 08-27-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:43 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

With the dizzy out the china wall looks good. Last time we had it off I expected to see it from the wall but again the bead was good. I used the "right Stuff" last time as well.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:54 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Last time intake was off.

Last edited by Snakecharmer383; 08-28-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Super Ram - Oil Leak - Shocked huh?

Quick Reply: Super Ram - Oil Leak - Shocked huh?