C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 C4, wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 06:01 PM
rnoswal
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1984 C4, wiring diagram

My car is old. I cannot find a complete wiring diagram for it. I bought a shop manual but it just shows sections, or components. My car has a 15 amp fuse that runs the lights and door locks. If I plug it in lightly, I can see a small blue arc as if there is a light on somewhere. I have unplugged all the lights or taken the bulbs out. Still, if I put that fuse back in, the next day the battery will be drained starting with a good charge. If I pull the fuse the battery stays charged. So I was hoping to find in a diagram that shows the connections the large red wire and the other pink/white wire goes to that the 15 amp fuse plugs into.

So again, my main question is where can I find a complete wiring diagram from front to back that covers a 1984 C4? Was hoping there was a downloadable diagram here but a search turned out negative. If any other information is needed I can give what I can.

Thanks

Russ
Old 08-28-2018, 07:33 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by rnoswal
I bought a shop manual but it just shows sections, or components.....So again, my main question is where can I find a complete wiring diagram from front to back that covers a 1984 C4?
Russ, I feel your pain. You DO have a complete wiring diagram in your shop manual. I'll agree that it is not the most convenient, but I'm sure there is a single sheet of paper that has everything on it.

Sounds like you have a wire break in your system, so you may have to go system by system anyway.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:01 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Russ, do you have a FSM (Factory Service/Shop Manual), or do you have an almost worthless Chilton's or Hayne's pamphlet/bird cage liner? I think you're talking about the CTSY/CLK fuse, which operates lots and lots of different things! You're right. You shouldn't see a spark when you plug in that fuse.

The '84 FSM is specifically written for the '84. Every year Corvette has differences, so a generic repair manual just won't do! The Electrical Troubleshooting Book of the FSM (Section 8) gives you all the information you need to find this problem! Since the fuse doesn't blow when you plug it in, that tells me something is turned on that shouldn't be, and your wiring is probably okay! The device that is causing the problem will be warm, because of the constant current drain. What devices in your car don't work right?

Old 08-28-2018, 11:30 PM
rnoswal
Racer

I bought a 1984 corvette shop manual with Chevrolet and GM marks at the bottom. At the bottom of the index page it has Wiring diagrams - Rear of Book. So I look at the back of my book, no wiring diagrams. Now after the blank page that might have been where the diagrams should have been it has a comprehensive Electrical Circuit Identification for wiring diagrams. Circuit number, circuit color and circuit names! 6 pages of that but no wiring diagram to match it with. I guess I got ripped off.

It says 1983 GM Corporation but I think but this is a copied manual. I can tell. I guess I should contact the seller to find out where the wiring diagram went.

I can trace wires and test the circuits they go to but not without a diagram.

Russ
Old 08-29-2018, 12:50 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

The '84 FSM is two volumes. The Electrical Manual is called Section 8A (pages 8A-1 thru 8A-151). The main volume has Sections 0A thru 7C, plus 8B & 8C, and 9. At the back of the main volume, there should be two large fold-out pages with a complete wiring diagram, identified as Corvette 1A and Corvette 1B. You apparently don't have this?

Old 08-29-2018, 09:41 AM
BillDurant
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

anything on this page help ?
https://www.google.com/search?q=1984...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 08-29-2018, 10:40 AM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Chevy-...cAAOSwjRpZTYQt
Old 08-29-2018, 07:18 PM
rnoswal
Racer

You would be correct Hot Rod Roy. Now my FSM does have Electrical ---- Body and Chassis 8B (lamps and lighting) the 8C (Instrument panel and gauges). Then Accessories is Section 9. There is no 8A section at all. The next box says Wiring diagrams and it says Rear of Book. That's all! Like I said, no wiring diagrams. This Manual is 755 pages long. So I am not sure about the 2 volumes you mention.

Bill. I have looked at those before on Google and clicked the link you posted. It shows many wiring diagrams and even one, if expanded would be what I am looking for. The thing is that when you click on the photo of the diagram it takes you to a website that wants you to set up an account and purchase the diagram. Apparently they have many. All the pertinent diagrams have the link if I wanted to see an expanded view to search or print out.

And Corvettenorway, that supplemental manual looks like it would provide what I need. I wish it says whether or not it has the complete foldout diagram. $67.00 is a lot and I may need to get it. I am just upset that it did not come with my shop manual. Which, by the way, looks very close to the shop manual on the front that I bought, even though the link you sent looks like an original supplement.

So thanks for the suggestions. I will keep unplugging items and hope for the best. I did write the people I bought the shop manual from, inquiring about the wiring diagram. Will see what I get.

Russ
Old 08-29-2018, 07:22 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

An ALLDATADIY subscription is 26 bucks, and it includes wiring.

www.alldatadiy.com
Old 08-29-2018, 10:23 PM
rnoswal
Racer

Hi confab. I looked at that site. It is very simple. I put in my car date, make and model. it shows to put it in the cart. I go to the cart and it wants me to pay now. No real info as to what I would be getting either. A subscription? I only want the one item, not like I am a shop that works on several cars. I am very surprised that no one has a downloadable posted on here anywhere. I will keep looking.

Thanks

Russ
Old 08-29-2018, 10:39 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

Received 283 Likes on 219 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
The '84 FSM is two volumes. The Electrical Manual is called Section 8A (pages 8A-1 thru 8A-151). The main volume has Sections 0A thru 7C, plus 8B & 8C, and 9. At the back of the main volume, there should be two large fold-out pages with a complete wiring diagram, identified as Corvette 1A and Corvette 1B. You apparently don't have this?

I have both these volumes. I first purchased the FSM and was surprised that there was no wiring diagram included so I then purchased the Electrical trouble shooting guide (Section 8A). Its interesting that Roy says his FSM has two fold out wiring diagrams because mine does not. All I can assume is that the publisher has removed those pages because they are colour.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:17 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by rnoswal
Hi confab. I looked at that site. It is very simple. I put in my car date, make and model. it shows to put it in the cart. I go to the cart and it wants me to pay now. No real info as to what I would be getting either. A subscription? I only want the one item, not like I am a shop that works on several cars. I am very surprised that no one has a downloadable posted on here anywhere. I will keep looking.

Thanks

Russ
Yeah, it's a year's worth of access to a reproduction of factory service information.. Including wiring, vac diagrams and basically everything you would find in a manual.

good luck!

Old 08-30-2018, 12:05 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GregMartin
Its interesting that Roy says his FSM has two fold out wiring diagrams because mine does not. All I can assume is that the publisher has removed those pages because they are colour.
I would assume that the publisher deleted those two pages because they are very large, and the diagram is VERY difficult to follow because of the complexity of the system, the detail of the reproduction would need to be excellent, and would therefore be expensive to reproduce!

These two pages are 11" x 34", printed on both sides. I don't know how you would post them. To be honest, the Section 8A book, titled "Electrical Troubleshooting Shop Manual Supplement" is better, because it separates the different electrical features of the car into more useable diagrams.

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 08-30-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:12 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

Received 283 Likes on 219 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Yep
its a shame because I would be happy to pay more for higher quality.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 C4, wiring diagram

Quick Reply: 1984 C4, wiring diagram