C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replacement ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 08:31 AM
chiespet
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement ignition switch

I have an 86 vette with manual and bypassed VATS. I need an new ignition cylinder and was hoping one was available that would fit but without all the VATS contacts and wiring. I would think removing the complexity would give a more reliable component.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 09-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by chiespet
I have an 86 vette with manual and bypassed VATS. I need an new ignition cylinder and was hoping one was available that would fit but without all the VATS contacts and wiring. I would think removing the complexity would give a more reliable component.

Thanks,
Frank
here's an 85. Not sure if it will work for you though
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OEM-84-8...0AAOSwwvZZTBPT
Old 09-05-2018, 01:26 PM
Tod Stiles
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks,
Frank
It can be done, did it to my 86. You can install a regular GM lock cylinder in the column but you will find that the sleeve it fits into (on the column) is a little too deep as the cylinder with VATs is slightly longer. What I did was use a small diameter sanding disk on my air drill and sanded about 1mm or so of the sleeve. Works great been about 15 years now since I did it.

Oh yeah just remembered, you can use a black sharpie where you sand to touch up the bare metal.

Last edited by Tod Stiles; 09-05-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:42 PM
chiespet
Navigator

Originally Posted by Tod Stiles
It can be done, did it to my 86. You can install a regular GM lock cylinder in the column but you will find that the sleeve it fits into (on the column) is a little too deep as the cylinder with VATs is slightly longer. What I did was use a small diameter sanding disk on my air drill and sanded about 1mm or so of the sleeve. Works great been about 15 years now since I did it.

Oh yeah just remembered, you can use a black sharpie where you sand to touch up the bare metal.
Thanks! this is just the information I was looking for. Do you recall if it was for an 85 or any other info?

Frank
Old 09-06-2018, 12:23 AM
Tod Stiles
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks! this is just the information I was looking for. Do you recall if it was for an 85 or any other info?

Frank
What I did, I believe, is exactly that. I bought a complete set for an 85. At the time I changed all the locks on the car. I got it from one of the regular vendors.
Ecklers has it, part 25-107549-1. I'm sure you can find it other places too. If you are prepared to sand down the sleeve, take it all apart, drop the new cylinder in and you'll see exactly what you need to do. You need to get enough clearance to push in while turning the key. Took me less than 1/2 an hour to do including a few minutes figuring out how I was going to get it to work and a quick black Sharpie touch-up.
The following users liked this post:
chiespet (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:16 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

If you already bypassed the vats system, why don't you just use the vats lock cylinder and cut the wiring off ?
Old 09-06-2018, 10:23 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Thanks,
Frank
What complexity? The VATS is just the whipping boy for everything that goes wrong with the car. You already bypassed the VATS so why spend more money to buy another component and do more work? If you want to avoid problems, which this new item can create, why even buy it unless there is a real issue to solve?
Old 09-16-2018, 07:45 AM
chiespet
Navigator

Originally Posted by aklim
What complexity? The VATS is just the whipping boy for everything that goes wrong with the car. You already bypassed the VATS so why spend more money to buy another component and do more work? If you want to avoid problems, which this new item can create, why even buy it unless there is a real issue to solve?
The current lock cylinder is worn out and needs replacement otherwise I would leave it alone. As I will be in there to change it anyway I might as well improve it if possible by removing unneeded complexity.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:48 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,947 Posts

The current lock cylinder is worn out and needs replacement otherwise I would leave it alone. As I will be in there to change it anyway I might as well improve it if possible by removing unneeded complexity.
True but why make complexity to remove complexity? The right one fits in with no real issues other than the VATS Paranoia. The bypass replacement now brings a slew of questions.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:17 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

How well do you understand the Saginaw tilt/ignition operation? What's convinced you that the cylinder is 'wore out'? Cylinder is but 1 aspect of the operation. There's a pinion and also a rack that can fail. If you need a cylinder I don't understand the desire to complicate the service by using 'other than' another correct cylinder. If this were 100$ + savings event then maybe a consideration BUT knowing that you had to 'ask if/how' I'd say leads me to believe there's a good likely hood of you failing and then it would certainly become a 100$+ loss for correction + the initial investment of the wrong parts.

A VATS cylinder is a 25$ - $30 expense and you just buy the least expensive resistance blanks available to make new keys. You ruin nothing in the column for the replacement it if 'in fact' it's your problem.

It's likely less than a 40$ parts buy for correct stuff, incorrect parts likely half of that and then there's the 'what will I ruin' aspect of the 'adventure'

You gain NOTHING doing this replacement using less than correct parts. NOTHING !!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-16-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:41 PM
chiespet
Navigator

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
How well do you understand the Saginaw tilt/ignition operation? What's convinced you that the cylinder is 'wore out'? Cylinder is but 1 aspect of the operation. There's a pinion and also a rack that can fail. If you need a cylinder I don't understand the desire to complicate the service by using 'other than' another correct cylinder. If this were 100$ + savings event then maybe a consideration BUT knowing that you had to 'ask if/how' I'd say leads me to believe there's a good likely hood of you failing and then it would certainly become a 100$+ loss for correction + the initial investment of the wrong parts.

A VATS cylinder is a 25$ - $30 expense and you just buy the least expensive resistance blanks available to make new keys. You ruin nothing in the column for the replacement it if 'in fact' it's your problem.

It's likely less than a 40$ parts buy for correct stuff, incorrect parts likely half of that and then there's the 'what will I ruin' aspect of the 'adventure'

You gain NOTHING doing this replacement using less than correct parts. NOTHING !!!
Thank you for your encouragement.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement ignition switch

Quick Reply: Replacement ignition switch