C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 cluster problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 12:25 PM
d096819
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 cluster problem

just bought the car and cluster was not working so seller replaced the cluster. It worked for 2 days and died. Sent it back to manufacturer under warranty. He said the power supply was good but the microprocessors were bad. He claims that I have a wiring problem with the car. I checked the voltages to the power inputs on the plug and they read good. Checked the grounds at the plug and they seem ok. Manufacturer says that maybe there is some voltage feeding into the ground wire or there is excess voltage going into the cluster. Anyone ever experience this?
Old 09-15-2018, 05:43 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Hello do96819,

I have a 1988 C4 that had the same issue with that digital dashboard. Bryan at BATEE.com will fix it properly and for a reasonable price. He also has the instruction on how to repair it online as well. If you are comfortable soldering PC board components you could do it yourself as Bryan will sell you the parts. Most people just send it to Bryan you will get it "fixed" once and for all.

With a Corvette it is wise to start at the battery and go to the post behind the battery where the fusible links get their power from and follow the power. There was so much corrosion on the post where the electrical connections met. I had problems with bad grounds but there were voltage losses that did not make any sense. After fixing the grounds most of my other problems fixed themselves.

From here you need to go to BATEE.com and learn about the dashboards.

Good Luck getting your Dash back in operation!
Old 09-15-2018, 11:05 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by d096819
Manufacturer says that maybe there is some voltage feeding into the ground wire or there is excess voltage going into the cluster.
The rebuilder ("manufacturer") should be able to tell you exactly what to test, if he suspects there's a problem with the wiring in your car. It sounds like he's looking for some way to get out of his obligation to fix your cluster correctly. There can't be "excess voltage". The only voltage supplied to the cluster is 12 volts! Voltage "feeding into the ground wire" is called a "short circuit"! Who is this "manufacturer"?

Old 09-18-2018, 08:31 AM
d096819
Heel & Toe

Default 85 cluster problem

[
Did the cluster just not work or did it sustain internal damage?

QUOTE=ctmccloskey;1597989861]Hello do96819,

I have a 1988 C4 that had the same issue with that digital dashboard. Bryan at BATEE.com will fix it properly and for a reasonable price. He also has the instruction on how to repair it online as well. If you are comfortable soldering PC board components you could do it yourself as Bryan will sell you the parts. Most people just send it to Bryan you will get it "fixed" once and for all.

With a Corvette it is wise to start at the battery and go to the post behind the battery where the fusible links get their power from and follow the power. There was so much corrosion on the post where the electrical connections met. I had problems with bad grounds but there were voltage losses that did not make any sense. After fixing the grounds most of my other problems fixed themselves.

From here you need to go to BATEE.com and learn about the dashboards.

Good Luck getting your Dash back in operation![/QUOTE]
Old 09-18-2018, 07:21 PM
d096819
Heel & Toe

Did your cluster just not work or was there internal damage

Get notified of new replies

To 85 cluster problem

Quick Reply: 85 cluster problem