Need more power - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need more power

Old 09-18-2018, 11:17 PM
slow_zo6
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by aklim View Post
With what we have going on today, you'd be right if you insisted on keeping the C4 body. Much easier to buy an LS equipped car and mod it.
Of course it’s easier to buy an LS equipped car but where’s the fun in that?
Old 09-19-2018, 12:20 AM
gpierce
CF Senior Member

You could just spend 4K and just get it over with

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chevy-Ve...IAAOSw0j9ZUn~~
Old 09-19-2018, 12:54 AM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Space387 View Post
I can't speak for all but some of us follow the idea you have to **** with the D!$# you got. I mod on a budget and limited time. Can I convert my L98 car and ecu system to an LS with 24 or 58X system? Yea I can, but at that rate I will grab the megasquirt sitting in my box of goodies for another day and have all the features I could want and get a 6.0L vortec block as a start.

I recommend people try to build with what they have as a learning experience and so IF they every sell the car it is easier to return to stock. The other thing to remember is that an LS swap is more than a bolt up. It is weeks ( usually) of fitting parts and fabricating mounts to make the supporting parts like fuel system, cooling and the accessories on the front of the engine play nice.

An LS swap is great bang for the buck, but an engine swap isn't always in the cards.
And some of us like to save up for stuff that costs more at time of purchase BUT less in the long run. I can't pay $1000 for a set of headers so I buy a $500 set today. Tomorrow, I either have to put up with being hamstrung by the crap headers or put up $1000 to buy the headers I should have bought and hence spent $1500 plus the labor TWICE to install what I should have done. OTOH, I can keep that $500 and save up the other $500 and buy that $1000 set of headers.

I bought a set of TFS heads that were cheaper than the well known AFR. The QC sucked and the valves wobbled around, spring broke and I think you can guess what happened to the LPE (not budget) short block. So the money I saved going to TFS was cool. Too bad the new long block cost more than what I saved. Had I saved up money and bought the entire LPE long block or LPE Short block with AFR heads, maybe I wouldn't have the entire passenger side valves wobbling in the guides and having to install 2 motors and pay for 2 motors. Sometimes it is better to "do it once and not have to do it again, or at least, not for a long time".
Old 09-19-2018, 12:59 AM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by slow_zo6 View Post

Of course it’s easier to buy an LS equipped car but where’s the fun in that?
Silly me. I thought the fun was driving the car and not trying to shoehorn something in.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:11 PM
ctmccloskey
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree with aklim on this point.
I have a 1968 C3 that was originally a L71 Corvette and a 1988 C4 Coupe with the Dreaded L98. I took the Big block and built it up the way I wanted too (and could afford). The big block makes so much power that it is scary and is a handful to drive, the 1988 C4 makes just enough torque to make me happy.

A buddy of mine who has two spare LS3 engines in his garage offered me one to use in either of my Corvettes. I thanked him for the offer but said "No Thanks" to an LS3

I would not do that to either of my Corvettes as I personally like the way the cars work. There is something about starting up a High Compression engine that was cast way back in August of 1967 between my frame rails of an older Corvette. It belongs there, kind of like the L98 in my 1988 C4.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:25 PM
Cloudy Johnston

.****
Old 10-12-2018, 12:14 AM
Bigpoop
CF Senior Member

So you Q...More Power out of my 85.

like asking a nun how can I get more....

ooff

STOP THE INSANITY.

Want seat of the pants feel. Go LS motored chevy.

Sell it and move on.

oh.......watch the democrats come out now....but but but....

Last edited by Bigpoop; 10-12-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:18 AM
Cloudy Johnston

Originally Posted by Bigpoop View Post
STOP THE INSANITY.

Want seat of the pants feel. Go LS motored chevy.

Sell it and move on.

oh.......watch the democrats come out now....but but but....

Lol I'll probably just keep the c4 as a daily and get a c5......the c4 is actually pretty decent on gas for a V8
Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 AM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '05

You dont need an ls swap to get 300hp
Old 10-12-2018, 12:03 PM
Cloudy Johnston

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post

What rout would you go?
Old 10-12-2018, 12:09 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cloudy Johnston View Post
What rout would you go?
Buy an LS based car.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:34 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
That's for sure.

Headers, exhaust intake and a mild cam would get you there.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:40 PM
Cloudy Johnston

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI View Post
That's for sure.

Headers, exhaust intake and a mild cam would get you there.
Would I need different heads with the cam? What additional hardware is needed for a cam...

I'm wanting to do a lt1 intake....tube headers.....3in side pipes.......and comp com cam
Old 10-17-2018, 01:45 PM
Cloudy Johnston

I would prefer to put a 96 Corvette rear end but I have kinda built up my suspension around my current rear end
Old 10-17-2018, 04:03 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cloudy Johnston View Post
Would I need different heads with the cam? What additional hardware is needed for a cam...

I'm wanting to do a lt1 intake....tube headers.....3in side pipes.......and comp com cam
I think an LT1 intake, headers and exhaust alone would get you darn close to 300 hp. Cam should need any hardware; it's a roller cam. Just swap the cam under the stock lifters.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:03 AM
brianfiske

This is a great thread for me as I have an 86L which I have just purchased in May and am planning a very similar project.
I understand all of the logic behind not investing money in this car as a value standpoint, but this is my first project car and first corvette and it took me a long time to save for what I have and also saving more money to do some fun things to this car.

I have a couple questions that I am hoping some of you will help me with.

--What should I be looking for in a cam, I dont understand what the numbers mean etc. I am looking for something that will make the car sound more aggressive yet be very drivable while producing better hp.

--will these headers work as a bolt on? I am planning on illiminating the egr and maf sensors and re programming the computer ( need help here as well)
https://www.carid.com/hedman-hedders...8#applications

finally, I am planning on sending the heads and intake out to get ported, polished and matched. Can you tell me a pros vs cons vs cost on doing this vs purchasing Lt1 equipment.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-19-2018, 08:17 AM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by brianfiske View Post
This is a great thread for me as I have an 86L which I have just purchased in May and am planning a very similar project.
I understand all of the logic behind not investing money in this car as a value standpoint, but this is my first project car and first corvette and it took me a long time to save for what I have and also saving more money to do some fun things to this car.

I have a couple questions that I am hoping some of you will help me with.

--What should I be looking for in a cam, I dont understand what the numbers mean etc. I am looking for something that will make the car sound more aggressive yet be very drivable while producing better hp.

--will these headers work as a bolt on? I am planning on illiminating the egr and maf sensors and re programming the computer ( need help here as well)
https://www.carid.com/hedman-hedders...8#applications

finally, I am planning on sending the heads and intake out to get ported, polished and matched. Can you tell me a pros vs cons vs cost on doing this vs purchasing Lt1 equipment.

Thanks in advance
Do you have someone who will tune this combination? Reason I ask is either you are getting something close to stock and might not be worth the effort to do or it might not work right. Ask the tuner first before you do a Frankenstein of this cam, that heads and the other intake and hame someone try to make it work together as a system
Old 10-19-2018, 08:32 AM
brianfiske

I do have someone who will help me along the way but I do want to ensure that I make the right decisions on my purchases so that everything will work together as good as possible.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:22 AM
KyleF
CF Member

Originally Posted by slow_zo6 View Post

LS engines have been swapped into just about everything these days and if you wanted to swap one in a C4 it wouldn’t take that long. Different strokes for different folks. If people wanna continue to spend $4-5k building gen I sbc engines that might make 400hp then so be it-it’s your $ just funny to see people waste it and most likely be disappointed in the end.
I wouldn’t waste the time or money trying to modify an L98.
To each their own.
Because not everyone wants to be the same. Not everyone wants to deal with the headaches of getting all the accessories working. I have seen a lot of LS swap threads get out of control and be $10-$12k into it... to do it right. If you just want a motor in there that runs it can be done cheaper. Also, an L98 looks better IMO. It is one of the coolest looking intake EVER!

Additionally, anywhere you go there will be someone who is faster. Personally, I love the pursuit, having projects, learning, and the therapy of spending time in my garage. I do not have a lift, an engine hoist, or the room to just be "swapping" motors. I like that my car (specifically my C4) looks stock, very stock.... but it has secrets. So does my L98 IROC.

I can't even remember the last time I raced someone on the street. At near 40 years old, I have pretty much learned better. I am certainly not interested in financing all the broken parts from drag racing on the weekends. With two kids and a house, I wouldn't have time if I wanted to. Not everyone is trying to build a race car. Some like what they wanted as a kid, some just want something fun to drive and tinker on, and some like sleepers. Lot's of reasons not to engine swap in general. If you can afford an LS Swap done right, you can afford a C5 or LS F-Body. That seems to be a better route to go IMO so when you have issues, you have shop manuals and people that can help you get them corrected. When you have swapped and LS, there starts to be so many questions about how it was done, what did you use, what functions did you bypass, who did the tune... etc.

I like LS cars, but I will never swap one into something else at this point. The cars they cam in are just too affordable now and the new LT crate motors are out pacing the LS's.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:50 AM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by brianfiske View Post
I do have someone who will help me along the way but I do want to ensure that I make the right decisions on my purchases so that everything will work together as good as possible.
If he is doing the tuning part, then you are way ahead of the game. What did he recommend for intake, headers to go with the cam? What does he think it could make?

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: