96 base front spring specs - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 base front spring specs

Old 09-19-2018, 09:14 PM
bob arrowsmith
CF Senior Member

Default 96 base front spring specs

I need to replace my front leaf spring on my 96, what would i have to know to get the correct one, spring rates seem to be confusing , i have found a nice used one but he does not know which rating.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:50 PM
MatthewMiller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by bob arrowsmith View Post
I need to replace my front leaf spring on my 96, what would i have to know to get the correct one, spring rates seem to be confusing , i have found a nice used one but he does not know which rating.
The 96 front springs were the softest ever fitted to any C4, at 343lb/in. They are either coded as HA or JA - I'm not sure which, but both of those codes are the same spring rate.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:52 PM
vettehardt
CF Senior Member

From the charts I've seen posted on here before, the base spring is coded "HA" or "JA" while the Z51 spring is "FSR" code. These should be molded into the spring somewhere.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:36 AM
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by bob arrowsmith View Post
For starters the 1st visual check should be the fabrication/design. If it isn't fabricated like this on the spring pad it IS NOT A LATE C4 spring. I don't have a 'LATE' spring to show you where to look for the CODES. You haven't mentioned if your car is a coupe or a 'vert either. Does it matter? Maybe not as much as most might think but I'd maybe mention yours.

Being 'used' there's many OE/GM codes that could potentially be used. Some that come to mind so long as it constructed like the snapshot is HA, FSR, FSS and the JA mentioned. Fabrication/construction is the primary concern I believe that you need to be concerned with.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-20-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:02 PM
bob arrowsmith
CF Senior Member

Default front spring

thank you all for the great info, now i feel i can get the proper spring.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:46 AM
blackozvet
CF Senior Member

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: