C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

new VetAid guages

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 05:07 PM
dozerman1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new VetAid guages

I installed a new VetAid instrument set on my 89. Everything works except the cruise. It worked prior to installing the new gauges.Everything was hooked as per the instructions. any one have any ideas?
Old 09-24-2018, 05:15 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Look on the right side of the page. Did you get that adapter with your kit ? Or did you buy the gauges before it was available

http://vettaid.com/c4-gauge-packages/
The following users liked this post:
dozerman1 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 05:25 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

You lose cruise as mentioned above without the adapter. I did the same thing but eliminated the cruise with the miniram conversion. I had troubles with mine over time. Such as lights going out on the water temp and the very bright blue hi beam light that would blind you.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:58 PM
dozerman1
Advanced

Originally Posted by drcook
Look on the right side of the page. Did you get that adapter with your kit ? Or did you buy the gauges before it was available

http://vettaid.com/c4-gauge-packages/
I bought the adapter but it still does not work. I read somewhere that when the key is turned on that I should hear some noise from the system. but I don't hear anthing. I also purchased a new vacuum module (the one above the battery) and replaced the old one....
Old 09-24-2018, 08:08 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Time to give them a call and ask how to go about trouble shooting the system to see if you got a bad component. Depending on how they respond, you might have to go as far as using your phone to document it not working with their stuff (and the hookups of such) and then put the old back in and document it working.

Please relay how they respond to you as I am interested in their package that will go in a '96.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:10 AM
dozerman1
Advanced

Time to give them a call and ask how to go about trouble shooting the system to see if you got a bad component. Depending on how they respond, you might have to go as far as using your phone to document it not working with their stuff (and the hookups of such) and then put the old back in and document it working.

Please relay how they respond to you as I am interested in their package that will go in a '96.
I have been in contact with the owner several times. He did send me another cruise adapter but it didn't solve the problem. I have a wiring diagram of the car and there are 4 wires that are for the cruise that are not hooked up to anything. I emailed him last week and gave that information. He said he would check and see what he could figure out. I have emailed him twice to see if he came up with any answers. He still has not responded. I do like the gauges but I am not happy with the cruise problem. ( did mention that the cruise did work with the old instrument panel). Also FYI... I did purchase an Illitronix dash unit before this one and that was a year long fiasco. The first gauge set didn't work at all. They kept it 2 months and finally I bitched enough that they sent me a replacement. I was never able to get The speedo to work wit the factory wiring. They sent me a GPS unit and it worked for 1 week, They sent me another GPS and it worked for 1 day. They sent me a 3rd GPS and it didn't work at all. Now another 6 months has passed and they agreed to refund my money. That took 10 phone calls to the owner and 2 more months to get the refund. So here I am over a year later and still don't the dash back together. I hope that you have better luck than I did!
Old 09-26-2018, 12:13 AM
dozerman1
Advanced

Oh and FYI... I trashed the old instrument panel long ago so I can't put it back in.:
Old 09-26-2018, 12:15 AM
dozerman1
Advanced

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
You lose cruise as mentioned above without the adapter. I did the same thing but eliminated the cruise with the miniram conversion. I had troubles with mine over time. Such as lights going out on the water temp and the very bright blue hi beam light that would blind you.
I am at the point where I am just going to forget the cruise and return the adapter,,,,,
Old 09-26-2018, 06:02 AM
drcook
Safety Car

It's too bad you trashed the old panel.

There are circuitry diagrams out on batee dot com, as well as problem solving tips.

Also if you do some google searching about 1989 cruise control, you will run into a page that shows where and how to test the electrical connections to see if you are even getting power.

The later Vettes don't have the cruise circuitry built into the panel

Last edited by drcook; 09-26-2018 at 06:02 AM.
dozerman1 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 09:30 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Interesting. I loved the dash, but it certainly was not factory or OEM quality. I had lights going out, shorts, and interior heat caused some shorts in the electrical system causing the gauges to go dead until you “pushed “ on the cluster. I know it wasn’t Auto Meter’s problem since they sent me new gauges. Still had the same problem. My speedo was erratic at low speeds up until about 45 mpg....both speedos they gave me did the same thing.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:16 AM
drcook
Safety Car

use this as a search argument

1989 corvette cruise control

make sure to follow links and references in the posts here on C4 CF. I should have kept the page, but there is one that has pictures of where to test for voltage, vacuum, etc
dozerman1 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 11:59 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dozerman1
Oh and FYI... I trashed the old instrument panel long ago so I can't put it back in.:
You TRASHED THE OLD ONE?!?!?! How bad was it that you did that?
Old 09-26-2018, 01:04 PM
dozerman1
Advanced

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
Interesting. I loved the dash, but it certainly was not factory or OEM quality. I had lights going out, shorts, and interior heat caused some shorts in the electrical system causing the gauges to go dead until you “pushed “ on the cluster. I know it wasn’t Auto Meter’s problem since they sent me new gauges. Still had the same problem. My speedo was erratic at low speeds up until about 45 mpg....both speedos they gave me did the same thing.
Thats actually the same problem I have.. Under 30 mph the speedo jumps around. He said it was the speed indicator on the trans. However nobody make a new one, all that is available is a used one....$200 to 260, used.... I order a used one and should have in by this weekend... hopefully that will solve that speedo problem.......As far as the cruise, he did email me and I am calling him tonight to go over the connections,,,,, I'll let you know
Old 09-26-2018, 01:08 PM
dozerman1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bfenty
You TRASHED THE OLD ONE?!?!?! How bad was it that you did that?
what can I say... Hind site is always 20-20... I really like the one from intellitronix, we just could not get the speedo to work.. and their teck's didn't have a clue how to solve the problem...
Old 09-26-2018, 01:10 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dozerman1
what can I say... Hind site is always 20-20... I really like the one from intellitronix, we just could not get the speedo to work.. and their teck's didn't have a clue how to solve the problem...
I'm teasing you...mostly...

So you don't like the Star Wars dash? honest question. I didn't like it at first, but I have to admit it really grew on me. They can be a huge pain when not working, but when you've got it working nice they look cool I think.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:59 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Eventually I would like the one for the later cars. It really looks reminiscent of the dash that was in the '65 I had. Before you throw in the towel, take the time to investigate where you are not getting power at.

Last edited by drcook; 09-26-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:51 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

I've had the vetteaid gauges in my 86 for at least five years and I like them. It was a simple plug and play install. The only problem I've had with the cruise control was with the brake and clutch switches. A mity-vac on the vacuum hose going to the pedals will tell you if the switches are holding vacuum or not.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:40 PM
dozerman1
Advanced

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke
I've had the vetteaid gauges in my 86 for at least five years and I like them. It was a simple plug and play install. The only problem I've had with the cruise control was with the brake and clutch switches. A mity-vac on the vacuum hose going to the pedals will tell you if the switches are holding vacuum or not.
As long as the engine runs the gauge holds 17.5.. when the engine is turned off the vacuum slowly bleeds down..

Get notified of new replies

To new VetAid guages

Quick Reply: new VetAid guages