C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 12:07 PM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22
Default Fuel Pump

I am replacing my fuel pump and sending unit on my 88. The kit came with a large O ring about 1/4" in diameter and maybe 4". What the heck is this for?
Old 09-29-2018, 01:29 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by cdm747
I am replacing my fuel pump and sending unit on my 88. The kit came with a large O ring about 1/4" in diameter and maybe 4". What the heck is this for?
Sounds as if you've purchased a very generic pump that's used also for for other GM's and they just toss in the seal for the conventional tank also. If tank sender and pump were serviced in one package then the pump is likely used for multiple install options.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:48 PM
Honordebt
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Afternoon,
Just a little more detail...
In some cases, the fuel pump is mounted on a stalk inside the gas tank. This "tank unit" has the pump, sock/screen and float/sending unit all on 1 fixture.
The pump can sometimes be serviced or replaced separately from the float/sending unit.
This "O" ring seal is for the mounting point of the entire tank unit to the gas tank itself, yours may not be bad or have this type of "tank unit"
If it does ... use the new one and carefully clean the mating surfaces before re-installation.
I have an 87 and have not had this particular joy yet but I've seen these across a bunch of GMs.
Hope this helps and Good Luck??
Old 09-29-2018, 04:08 PM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

It came with the pump which was separate from the sending unit when it came in. I figured that was the case. At any rate I put it all back together and fixed two problems. My fuel gauge works correctly now and the car starts right up where before I would have to turn it over a little more than I thought it should before it would start. It also holds pressure for a while at the fuel rail which tells me that the check valve was not holding. I think this was the original assembly that I replaced since it had the pulsator on it and there was a parts tag on the outside of the tank lines that looked like a factory parts tag.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:54 AM
JustinAUS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pump

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump