C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 Mystery Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 09:29 PM
blupeblupe321
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1994 Mystery Coolant Leak

I was driving my 1994 Corvette 6 speed home last night and as I was driving I heard a loud pop come from the engine bay and the motor died. I turned the key off and it restarted again no problem. I immediately pulled over and opened the hood and there was coolant all in the engine bay. The coolant temperature was around 210 so it wasn't overheating. I turned the car off and let it sit for about 15 min. I looked all over the engine bay and could not find where the leaked coolant came from. I then drove the car home only a few miles and came out to the car in the morning and there was no extra coolant that had leaked from the car. I started it up no problem and drove about 2 miles or so to a friend's shop. About 5 minutes or so after I parked I noticed ALOT of coolant had leaked out from the car making a huge puddle. The coolant temp never got over 210 while driving. I let the engine cool, put more coolant in and ran the motor for a few minutes to try and find the leak. It ran without issue until it randomly died about a minute in. I restarted it without a problem and ran it for a minute or two more; however I could not find the leak.

I've checked hoses, looked under the water pump, looked at both coolant tanks and cannot find where its leaking from. The only thing I found was a small pinhole in one of the hoses that was spitting a very small amount of coolant. There was no sign of a major leak even after running the engine. I know it's coming from the front of the engine as there is no coolant on the sides or towards the back of the motor. I also felt under the water pump and there was no sign of leaking. However, the optispark cables seem to have some coolant on them which could be why the engine just died after the pop sound.

Does anyone have any advice?

Last edited by blupeblupe321; 09-30-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:10 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Replace the leaking hose, then revaluate. The "pinhole" will leak like crazy once there some pressure in the system.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:13 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

As stated, replace the leaking hose. Then get a pressure tester and pressurize the cooling system then listen and look for leaks.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:36 PM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 158 Posts

sounds like you have multiple problems. No heat at the heater core indicates no coolant at the heater core or no circulation about the heater core. you could be air bound or you have no circulation. You may need to use a vacuum source to pull the air out if in fact it is air bound. The fan issue is a secondary issue which could be addressed after you get coolant flow to the heater core.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:05 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I would just connect a pressure tester and pump it up and just watch and wait. It's coming from somewhere and should be easy to find with the proper tool. This should not be a mystery.

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 Mystery Coolant Leak

Quick Reply: 1994 Mystery Coolant Leak