C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 09:34 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Benny42
What are your cold & hot oil pressure readings? If your motor is about worn out go up a grade. If it is still making proper oil pressure on the factory recommended grade then stay with it. My car ('86L) has about 125k miles and good oil pressure on 10w30 in Texas heat. It really is up to you, these are JUST small block chevys and are kind of hard to kill unless you beat them really hard.
- in a nutshell, just follow the owners manual, and all's good.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:44 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
not sure where you're going with this, but "for THEM," i'm guessing would only apply during the warranty period - back then, as I recall, 3 years/36K miles. since my owners manual covers maintenance up to, and sometimes exceeding 100K miles, anything outside the warranty period, they are doing for "my benefit" and what's best suited from a maintenance standpoint. not sure how the factory can even define and cover "the zenith." if they could, that would just redefine it as the norm. someone will always push the envelope and that, the manufacturer can't control. not sure i know of any oil related engine failures, outside the warranty period, due to the owner following the manufacturers recommended maintenance and maintenance schedule, so the whole thing is subjective - i really don't care who they figured it out for - them, me, or anyone else. it works for me and one less thing i have to think about. peace.
We have also wondered why we have to put in an additive every 15K for my Powerstroke which uses the regular green stuff for coolant. Is that the best idea? Well, it depends. The dealership would have to stock that coolant, which they do and the small bottles of the additive. International uses a more robust coolant which has better life and no need additives. International made that engine for trucks which Ford bought. Truck shops have ELC for other trucks. Ford dealerships might not want to stock yet another coolant for a few diesel vehicles or so a suspicious man like myself would think. Test strips International recommends show the green stuff with the additive every 15K is barely adequate.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:22 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by aklim
We have also wondered why we have to put in an additive every 15K for my Powerstroke which uses the regular green stuff for coolant. Is that the best idea? Well, it depends. The dealership would have to stock that coolant, which they do and the small bottles of the additive. International uses a more robust coolant which has better life and no need additives. International made that engine for trucks which Ford bought. Truck shops have ELC for other trucks. Ford dealerships might not want to stock yet another coolant for a few diesel vehicles or so a suspicious man like myself would think. Test strips International recommends show the green stuff with the additive every 15K is barely adequate.
additives, powerstroke, green stuff, international and ford trucks, ELE - sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about or why - ???
Old 10-06-2018, 11:28 PM
aklim
Team Owner

additives, powerstroke, green stuff, international and ford trucks, ELE - sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about or why - ???
Sorry it's confusing you but the PRINCIPLE is that we need to be more skeptical about why something is recommended instead of simply swallowing whatever they put before us without questions.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:54 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Sorry it's confusing you but the PRINCIPLE is that we need to be more skeptical about why something is recommended instead of simply swallowing whatever they put before us without questions.
man, I must be dense. thought the subject at hand was 10W30 vs 10W40. , some things in life you need to be skeptical of, but i'm not sure this is one of them.

Last edited by Joe C; 10-06-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:33 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
He doesn't either. Just the usual aklim claptrap. I've had him on ignore for a long time. Makes the threads easier and more enjoyable to read because his every-other nonsense post is redacted.
HAHAHAHAAAA...Totally agree, Aklim luvs to debate anything...
The following users liked this post:
FOURSPEEDVETTE (10-14-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 10:46 AM
aklim
Team Owner

man, I must be dense. thought the subject at hand was 10W30 vs 10W40. , some things in life you need to be skeptical of, but i'm not sure this is one of them.
the factory figured all this out for us. one less thing we need to worry about
. That was what I thought we were talking about. I choose not to give blind trust to anyone. I prefer to find out why when possible. Either you will pleasantly surprise me or I won't be unprepared for your treachery. I take factory recommendations as the lowest standard possible rather than the "gold" standard.

Last edited by aklim; 10-07-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Joe C
Race Director

whatever makes you happy....
Old 10-07-2018, 09:46 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
He doesn't either. Just the usual aklim claptrap. I've had him on ignore for a long time. Makes the threads easier and more enjoyable to read because his every-other nonsense post is redacted.
PLEASE HELP! Where is this "IGNORE" function? Is there a setting here I can activate? I want to do this also.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:18 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
PLEASE HELP! Where is this "IGNORE" function? Is there a setting here I can activate? I want to do this also.
User CP
Scroll down to settings and options
Edit Ignore list
Add member to the list

I got to say it is a pretty good crutch for those who cannot mentally discipline themselves to do it.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:15 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

User CP
Scroll down to settings and options
Edit Ignore list
Add member to the list

I got to say it is a pretty good crutch for those who cannot mentally discipline themselves to do it.
There is one poster on this thread on MY ignore list, and it isn't you.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:26 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Old 10-16-2018, 03:59 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Engine motor oil has a self life. I dont remember what it is or were you find it on the product.it doesnt last forever on a shelf.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:16 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
Engine motor oil has a self life. I dont remember what it is or were you find it on the product.it doesnt last forever on a shelf.
In good conditions, IIRC it was some 5 years.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:41 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Shelf life has a lot of different answers.

Most dino oils seem to have a shelf life that is affected by temp extremes even in a sealed container. Extreme temps may not even be that extreme as I read one manufacturer was claiming the below freezing could change their oil. The guesstimate of about 5 years may be about right for normal inside storage.

Synthetics may be a different story. I have read similar to the dino oils to no degradation at all. Mobil 1 stated no shelf life degradation under closed container storage. My belief is that synthetics may last much longer than dino oil and with normal storage conditions may last a long time without degradation.

The more I read about oil shelf life the more confusing it gets because different manufacturers have different statements and some statements are biased toward selling more oil.

Good luck.

Last edited by QCVette; 10-17-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

How long has that dino oil been stored underground?

Old 10-17-2018, 07:24 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
How long has that dino oil been stored underground?

Relevance? Is that what you are pouring into the motor?

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Oil

Old 10-17-2018, 08:21 PM
Joe C
Race Director

i'm thinking it would be the additives and not the oil that has the shelf life. as I recall, the molecular structure of oil is fairly stable. that's why motor oil can be recycled, or re-refined. remove the chemical impurities, add fresh additives, and technically, it's good as new. -
Old 10-17-2018, 09:43 PM
aklim
Team Owner

i'm thinking it would be the additives and not the oil that has the shelf life. as I recall, the molecular structure of oil is fairly stable. that's why motor oil can be recycled, or re-refined. remove the chemical impurities, add fresh additives, and technically, it's good as new. -
Hence my question of whether it is similar to the oil that sat in the ground.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:37 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

The heat cycling it gets in the crankcase for a year if you only drive it occasionally is probably much worse than it sitting sealed on a shelf and you then deciding to dump it in after a couple years... The problem as I remember it is that the additive package tends to settle out of suspension and can't be put back by shaking after a while. Synthetic or regular, it flocculates. Again, people worry about this too much. If it's 10 years old maybe, 5 I wouldn't worry about if it were unopened unless it explicitly stated an expiration date on the bottle... and even then that is to cover their tails just in case more than anything.

Quick Reply: Motor Oil