C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Only clue is serial number

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 04:49 PM
leadfoot1892
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only clue is serial number

Need the v.i.n. so I know what OBD connector to use. Behind the oil filter I found 1R2224912. Can I use this to find the V.I.N.?
Old 10-03-2018, 05:17 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot1892
Need the v.i.n. so I know what OBD connector to use. Behind the oil filter I found 1R2224912. Can I use this to find the V.I.N.?
OK what year car do you have? What's wrong with the VIN on the lower Left Corner of Windshield. or on tag on drivers door, or if it has not been removed on of the Option tags in the center console or rear storage compartment.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:25 PM
leadfoot1892
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s carter
OK what year car do you have? What's wrong with the VIN on the lower Left Corner of Windshield. or on tag on drivers door, or if it has not been removed on of the Option tags in the center console or rear storage compartment.
All I have is the engine.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:31 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot1892
All I have is the engine.
The information you mention would be applicable to a '94 Chevrolet likely maybe Camaro with an LT1. Here's a possible VIN that if your information was correct.

2G1FP22PXR2224912. Could it be a full size GM car? Yes. Is my information correct? This much of it is.

BTW - The VIN is my fabrication!!!!

1 is Chevrolet
R is model year.
The rest would be the sequence of the VIN.

Is it supposed to be a '94 LT1?

If you've a complete engine with all components then components could be used to ID. There's maybe 8 digit numbers on the fuel rails that could be used. Post a snapshot or two of the engine.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-03-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:50 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

If you only have engine. which I believe WVZR1 is correct is from a 94 z28. Are you using from harness with engine or a different one? What are numbers on PCM? Corvette would be 1 R1xxxxx
Old 10-04-2018, 10:11 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Im simply amazed at the collective depth of arcane knowledge regarding all things gm and chevrolet on this forum. kudo you guys and thanks for helping so many people out.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:59 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
You reconstructed an entire VIN. Did you use the "last eight" to do it? I was always baffled that the GM parts guy wanted only the last eight, but could come up with exactly the ONE specific car that last eight was from.

A 'real GM parts guy' will always ask for the complete VIN. The last 8 could give you 'multiple' choice maybe to include as many as 8 - 10 maybe. If you give the GM parts guy a wrong digit of the last 8 or he/she 'typos' one wrong you could easily walk out the door with wrong parts. Most of the people I deal with will 'always' ask for 17. I don't actually know that the VIN derivative is correct. I suspected that it's likely an error. The VIN I fabricated is a WAG based on the 1R2 and the 'check digit' will pass the test. I didn't do it for a 'vert. I assumed if it wasn't an LT1 there would be no reason for the OP to post here.

I mentioned a snapshot to confirm what it is and suggested an attempt to ID components.

This VIN will pass the test for a '94 vert!! 2G1FP32P2R2224912

IF THE DERIVATIVE IS CORRECT AND IT WAS SOLD TO THE OP AS AN LT1 then one of the 2 VIN I created I believe would be correct.

If you took the last 8 to a dealer it would maybe confirm it actually isn't a correct 'derivative'.

OP ain't been back.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-04-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:09 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

You're wrong. The last 8 will give you only ONE vehicle. Year, Assembly Plant, and Sequential Number. THAT plant, THAT year, ONE specific sequence number (6 digits).. How can it POSSIBLY be more than ONE vehicle? It can't. The first 8 can be the same for tens of thousands of vehicles. The GM system reconstructs the first 8 plus check digit from knowing what specific vehicle the last 8 is from.
I've bought lots and lots of parts with only the last 8. Haven't got a wrong part yet. The last eight is unique to only ONE vehicle.
Cheers.
Well - I knew you'd be back so I intentionally 'stretched' the number to as many as 8 or 10 - you 'bit'!!!!
Old 10-06-2018, 08:36 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

This admittedly reconstructed VIN is not valid.

This will also come back as an "invalid VIN"

The OP's engine came out of a Firebird.

I was at my buddy's repair shop today. There was a 1995 Firebird and a 1994 Camaro parked side by side. I've deleted my posts in this thread, but I learned something and will pass it on. I participate in Forums to attempt to learn stuff.
Remember I asked "did they really produce 124,912 Camaros at St Therese in 1994?" They didn't. The OP's engine came out of the 24,912th FIREBIRD produced at St Therese in 1994.

What I learned is that what I call the "carline identifier" (first digit after assembly plant, or 12th character of the VIN) for a Camaro is "1". The carline identifier for the firebird is "2". (I was also in error that the carline identifier is always an odd digit. I was right about it usually being a "1").

The third digit in the long-VIN is the Division. On the Camaro, the Division is Chevrolet, and it is a "1". Pontiac is a "2".

So WVZR's reconstructed VINS won't work because Chevrolet 3rd = 1) doesn't build Firebirds (12th = 2 = carline identifier). Change the 3rd to a "2" and they would
I'd likely 'wager'my first fabrication is correct > .2G1FP22PXR2224912 I usually do pretty well. Do I miss? Sure but I doubt this time.I did the 'vert later just because a 'vert had slipped my mind.when I fabricated the first. I mentioned B - bodied car just because 'maybe' the OP's derivative was flawed. One thing I believe as fact is the 1 ID's the derivative it as a Chevrolet.

Your Firebird theory won't work because if it were a Pontiac the digit preceding the R on the derivative I'm quite sure would be a 2. OP ain't been back and I'm not interested in 'debating' it but as a matter of interest I'd think you could take the last 8 to a dealer and ask it be decoded for you. I don't have an excuse to call one of my parts guys and I seldom do unless I'm interested in a buy.

I don't believe you can use the cars you mention as examples sitting 'side by side' - if either of the cars were an LT1 you could check the pad and I'd wager the 'derivative' would be 2S..... on the Firebird and 1R .... on the Camaro.

If it helps here's a '94 VIN CARD https://gsi.ext.gm.com/dealerworld/v.../vincard94.pdf

I understand nothing you mentioned about the random 12th digit. MY post #4 I believe to be accurate information.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-06-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:30 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The 1 would mean Chevrolet division. Most GM plants have sisters both f bodies com from the same plant. 2 would indicate Pontiac. 1R2 Camaro 2R2 Firebird
With the lt1. The 92-95 doesn't have a crank sensor for obd2. 96-97 has a crank sensor. The 92-93 batch fire and uses slightly smaller injectors 22 vs 24 lb. The 94 + uses sfi the smaller 22lb injectors could cause a lean condition with sfi. The obd2 engine will run on all of the the harnesses and computers. The crank sensor will be unplugged. The obd2 harness snd PCM will require the crank sensor used in the 96-97 engine.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:41 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I think the leading "1" on the pad is for "Chevrolet Engine". Which it is. Even in the Firebird, it is a Chevrolet Engine. Pontiac didn't produce LT1's.
That thought is wrong! The 1 is for the GM - Division the 'whichever' component is installed in. Regardless if found on an engine pad, transmission case rail , a frame rail or a targa top!

Chevrolet engine? - I can't buy that either. GM engine found in multiple GM car-lines

That's why I posted the VIN card for you. The VIN derivative matches the 3d digit of the 17 digit VIN regardless of the components 'source'

For a St Therese F-car, you can't have a "1" in the 3rd (Chevrolet) without a "1" in the 12th (Camaro). And you can't have a "2" in the 3rd (Pontiac) without a "2" in the 12th (Firebird). The 3rd is the Division. The 12th is the carline.
Chevrolet didn't produce Firebirds, and Pontiac didn't produce Camaros. The division and carline must match.
These thoughts are also incorrect.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/2G1FP22P9R2218079

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-07-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:36 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

This might answer many questions regarding VIN 'duplication' and relying upon using only the 'last 8' of a VIN when buying/ordering parts.

I tried to fabricate a Firebird VIN using the last 8 of the VIN. An LT1 wouldn't work but a S (3.4L - V6) did.

Here's the F'bird VIN 2G2FS22S1R2224912. Identical LAST 8 to my Camaro fabrication. The 1 as a 'check digit' is purely coincidence.

I also for just a thought tried CompNine using my fabrications. The 'test' used to supply only a sample but now it appears that if you enter a GM VIN newer than '90 you'll actually end up with a build date for free and if a report is available. I mention from time to time using CompNine for 'rarity' - I've not used CompNine since it moved from the FREE to a pay/subscription format. Enter an invalid VIN and it just says 'NOT AVAILABLE' (I tried the LT1 'vert for the Camaro).

Enter a VIN and if you get a positive response consider maybe the purchase if you're interested in RARITY.

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

IHBD- Take the last 8 as I suggested and see if your 'parts guy' can confirm for you.

Interestingly the F'bird was a Feb build and the Camaro a July build. I didn't pay for either.

Get notified of new replies

To Only clue is serial number

Quick Reply: Only clue is serial number