C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EZ-EFI integration with automatic AC 89 L98

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:06 PM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default EZ-EFI integration with automatic AC 89 L98

After wrenching and restoring for the past year, I'm happy to say i've had a great summer pretty much daily driving my 89 ZF. I've managed to put about 5k miles on it over the past few months. However, it definitely has left me wanting more power. Pretty settled on a Gen 1 SBC 383 or 396 swap, LS is still on the list but way less likely. I could drop in the Gen 1 and have ZF doc run through the gearbox for the cost of the LS alone (not talking about one of those junkyard $500 LS rescues lol).

Two routes i've considered when it comes to EFI management: investing in the hardware setup to burn my own chips and use the factory ECM to run the car OR move to the EZ EFI setup. I know with the factory setup, I won't lose any functionality with the dash, etc. My question is, for those running aftermarket EFI management, how well/easy have you been able to integrate the original AC head unit? Always, thank you!
Old 10-05-2018, 11:18 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

If you haven't bought the Dual Sync Distributor yet (used to control timing on EZ EFI)

I have one for sale from my build. I am going to an LS and obviously don't need the Distributor anymore.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:07 AM
Matt81
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Chip burning on these cars is now very easy. You've probably already been to moates.net. Seems to be the only place for the hardware .I picked up an APU1 a year ago when I installed a TBI setup on my 78. Found a great deal on eBay to a complete setup including chips and the G1 adapter. On Moates, the APU1 is $330 plus shipping .Pretty pricey, but the emulation feature is very convenient for dialing in a tune.

If you can do with the emulator, there is a cheaper setup you can put together. You can buy a standalone chip programmer. Think it was about $40 shipped from China via ebay, other options out there too. Still have to buy the chips and adapter from Moates, around $50 for that. Plus your need an OBD1 ALDL cable.

Software is Tunerpro. Easy to learn, once you have the basic files. www.gearhead-efi.com is an invaluable site with all kinds of info.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-06-2018, 09:11 AM
Matt81
Racer

Wait, just realized you don't need the ALDL cable with the APU1. Comes as part of the unit.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:11 PM
slow-vette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I converted my 86 L98 over to EBL Flash from https://www.dynamicefi.com/ . Great system. I can program through a laptop but I'm still using a GM style computer. There is a lot of support for the system out on the old interwebs and lots of C4 and Camaro guys are running it with performance set up's. I would recommend looking into it before making any choices.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:49 AM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
If you haven't bought the Dual Sync Distributor yet (used to control timing on EZ EFI)

I have one for sale from my build. I am going to an LS and obviously don't need the Distributor anymore.
Thank man. What LS setup are you going with??

Originally Posted by Matt81
Chip burning on these cars is now very easy. You've probably already been to moates.net. Seems to be the only place for the hardware .I picked up an APU1 a year ago when I installed a TBI setup on my 78. Found a great deal on eBay to a complete setup including chips and the G1 adapter. On Moates, the APU1 is $330 plus shipping .Pretty pricey, but the emulation feature is very convenient for dialing in a tune.

If you can do with the emulator, there is a cheaper setup you can put together. You can buy a standalone chip programmer. Think it was about $40 shipped from China via ebay, other options out there too. Still have to buy the chips and adapter from Moates, around $50 for that. Plus your need an OBD1 ALDL cable.

Software is Tunerpro. Easy to learn, once you have the basic files. www.gearhead-efi.com is an invaluable site with all kinds of info.

Hope this helps!
I've been window shopping that setup for a while now. I like the ostrich setup too. I already have the ALDL-USB with TunerProRT and the .ads/.adx files, so being able to tap into the ostrich would end up being pretty simple for flashing tunes without having to go the whole chip route. Seems like everyone is leaning towards the GM style computer

Originally Posted by slow-vette
I converted my 86 L98 over to EBL Flash from https://www.dynamicefi.com/ . Great system. I can program through a laptop but I'm still using a GM style computer. There is a lot of support for the system out on the old interwebs and lots of C4 and Camaro guys are running it with performance set up's. I would recommend looking into it before making any choices.
Just did the quick look over, I like that setup a lot. Reminds me of the flashable OBD1 setups. Assuming you would just upload the base .adx tune so it knows base parameters and then start mapping from there? Or do you order the unit already flashed for your year/model and then tweak as needed for your setup?

Old 10-07-2018, 08:41 PM
Matt81
Racer

When I started my FI project, I had planned on using a Megasquirt to power the setup. Built it, including a mod so I could talk to it via Bluetooth. Lots of community support and endless ways to find tune for your application. The only thing I didn't like was the DB25 connector (think of the old printer setup prior to USB). That just didn't look like a solid, reliable connector to me. Plus, I could NEVER get a reliable tech signal, which is key to driving the whole system. Tried adding tons of grounds, shielded cable, etc.

What put me into the OEM computer were t hose items above (solid connectors and the fact GM used regular wires to the dizzy with no trouble), plus I thought about the millions of dollars GM would have spent on the ECUs. If I was going with an exotic face setup, you bet. Give me the tunability and customization of Megasquirt or other aftermarket solution. For a regular driver, I wanted dependability.

The chip burning is easy, and it sounds like you have a start on the equipment. The Ostrich acts as an emulator, if I recall correctly? You'll just need a way to burn a chip for a more permanent install when you get settled in on a tune.

If you go that route, and I'd there is anything in can do to help, just let me know.
The following users liked this post:
JasBass (10-13-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:11 PM
slow-vette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Just did the quick look over, I like that setup a lot. Reminds me of the flashable OBD1 setups. Assuming you would just upload the base .adx tune so it knows base parameters and then start mapping from there? Or do you order the unit already flashed for your year/model and then tweak as needed for your setup?[/QUOTE]

Yes it is a fully programmable system. You start with base .adx and have pretty much control over everything from there. It also allows for external data sources. I hooked up a wide band O2 sensor and found that the auto programing feature was very powerful when using the wide band. Much cheaper then going up to something like a mega squirt. It can still support boost and NOS as well. It works well for my needs which is a mildly built street car that hits the track for fun on the weekends. If I was planning on going full out race with radical set up's then I might lean more towards the Megasquirt. But, I have been extremely happy with my EBL Flash and have a very smooth running L98 that starts and runs much better then it did on the stock computer and gets better gas millage while having a little more power.

JasBass (10-13-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 11:52 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

I own a 85 vette with a LS 6.0 2005 LQ9 and FAST efi-ez system. Everything works fine, easy in-cab adjustments, even with the motor running. Of course its an older set-up and today there are better options for electronic LS swaps. The dash is easy, just re-use the stock sbc sensors for oil pressure and coolant. Worse thing about the fast set-up there is no field control wires for the alternator. I have around 8000 miles on my swap so far.
JasBass (10-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To EZ-EFI integration with automatic AC 89 L98

Quick Reply: EZ-EFI integration with automatic AC 89 L98