C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Optispark Drive Seals

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 10:23 AM
95LT1ZF
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Optispark Drive Seals

I am installing a new optispark on the 95 and I simply cannot get it to seat properly on the timing cover. I removed the o-rings that came on the optispark and installed some smaller ones. It almost seated, but was still an 1/8" from seating on the timing cover. I removed the seals all together and the optispark seats perfectly. I know installing the optispark without o-rings would be a bad idea, but right now, that is the only way to get it to seat. Anyone else run into this issue? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:52 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

You said new opti-spark. Who made it, where did you get it? Who knows what some manufacturers might put in the box.
have you tried using the ones from the old opti?
Do you have a micrometer where you can measure them?

My 92 has a different setup but the above is where I would start based on the issue your having.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:28 PM
95LT1ZF
Pro

The manufacturer is WPS I do believe. Sort of an off brand, but a family friend that restores corvettes has had good luck with them. The old optispark seals were disintegrated, so I had to go with some new ones. I did use a micrometer and all the diameters, lengths, etc of the new and old optisparks are the same. I spoke to a friend at Napa and he seems to think they have a lower profile o-ring than I have that may work. Fingers crossed, I'm on my way to get those now.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:25 PM
95LT1ZF
Pro

In case this happens to anyone else, it was an o-ring seal issue. Found some lower profile o-rings at NAPA and the optispark seated with no problem. Now, just wish I would have noticed that my optispark harness was damaged during removal. Maybe she'll get cranked next weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Optispark Drive Seals

Quick Reply: Optispark Drive Seals