C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Driver information center replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 06:23 PM
carsofchaos
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Driver information center replacement question

Hi all
I am performing the unfortunate task of replacing the driver information center in my 88 C4. My question is where does the driver information center plug-in under the dash? I have been trying to fish through the Sea of wires under there and cannot find the plug. Most of the wires under the dash are still wrapped up in tape and it's making it very hard to trace the wires from the driver information center to its plug. Here's a photo of my replacement I just need to know where under the dash that plug is located!
Thanks in advance

Old 10-22-2018, 04:08 PM
carsofchaos
Advanced

Going to take another stab at the DIC this evening after work.....did a bit more hunting briefly under the dash yesterday and still did not find where it plugs in under the dash. Has anyone removed/replaced one of these before? I searched the site & google and found nothing. Was hoping for a step by step to be posted somewhere.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:08 PM
carsofchaos
Advanced

So this is not as much of a fun task as it sounds. I will upload pics of the process in case anyone is interested for future reference. The plug is in the center of the dash, behind the DIC and to the left. After removing a few things I could grab at it, but there is a metal clip that GM decided to put on the rear side of the plug instead of the front, making it impossible to unclasp the plug and pull it out. I finally cut the old DIC unit out, leaving the plug in the car, cut the plug off the replacement DIC, soldered all the wires together, put everything back together and it's working fine. Once I stopped effing around trying to get the plug out of the car, the whole process took me about 1 hour.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:59 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Great Job there carsofchaos!

I too have a 1988 C4 and you are right about the mess of wires in that dashboard. I had mine apart due to a bunch of bad grounds were causing me grief. After solving the bad grounds and cleaning the source of the power for the fusible links (that feed the interior with 12 Vdc) I was able to get full battery voltage everywhere inside the car. The radio is much happier with 12+ volts instead of the low 10-11 Vdc before with engine running, the lights are brighter and the owner is happy as well.

Soldering in that dash must have been challenging! I use POSI-LOCK connectors and then heat shrink over them, it makes it a good solid connection, probably almost as good as soldering the wires. I was surprised how many empty electrical sockets I found inside the dash that were not being used for anything.

Thanks for helping us by explaining what you found and how you solved it! Have a great day and enjoy your beautiful Corvette!
Old 11-07-2018, 03:21 PM
carsofchaos
Advanced

So here are the photos I promised to upload. The first two are showing where the plug to the DIC is located under the dash pad and behind the DIC itself. It is the blue plug to the left and behind the flasher. Yes I know it looks like you could just reach back there and pull it out, but the metal clasp on the back side of the plug prevents you from doing so, and also prevents you from just popping the plug out with a long flat head screwdriver.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:23 PM
carsofchaos
Advanced

And here is my cut and solder job:

Get notified of new replies

To Driver information center replacement question

Quick Reply: Driver information center replacement question