C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 Backfire/Oil burning & leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 12:09 PM
LittleRedCorvetteC4
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Backfire/Oil burning & leaking

My '94 has been sitting for a few months and I just took it out for a rive and for about 30 seconds it seemed to be backfiring and not shifting. (In Arizona the high was 90 F so it wasn't a complete cold start) After it warmed up it ran totally fine. I noticed later in the drive I smelt burning oil then the change oil light came on. When I got back home i noticed a puddle of oil where is sat in two different spots. One below the engine and one below where the passengers seat is located. If anyone could possibly tell me the cause of these things, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks y'all!

Last edited by LittleRedCorvetteC4; 11-01-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:41 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleRedCorvetteC4
My '94 has been sitting for a few months and I just took it out for a rive and for about 30 seconds it seemed to be backfiring and not shifting. (In Arizona the high was 90 F so it wasn't a complete cold start) After it warmed up it ran totally fine. I noticed later in the drive I smelt burning oil then the change oil light came on. When I got back home i noticed a puddle of oil where is sat in two different spots. One below the engine and one below where the passengers seat is located. If anyone could possibly tell me the cause of these things, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks y'all!

Welcome to the forum. If it was burning the oil it would be smoking like a chimney. Obviously you have a major oil leak ... maybe more than one. You need to get it up on a rack or ramps to get under there to see where it's coming from. Did your oil pressure drop when the low oil light came on? That might mean the oil pressure sender which tend to fail and leak.
The following users liked this post:
LittleRedCorvetteC4 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 02:59 PM
LittleRedCorvetteC4
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by rharker
Welcome to the forum. If it was burning the oil it would be smoking like a chimney. Obviously you have a major oil leak ... maybe more than one. You need to get it up on a rack or ramps to get under there to see where it's coming from. Did your oil pressure drop when the low oil light came on? That might mean the oil pressure sender which tend to fail and leak.
Thank you for the info! I’ll take a look at it. But do you know about the backfiring or what could be causing it? Maybe something to do with the leak? Thanks!
Old 11-01-2018, 03:46 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you for the info! I’ll take a look at it. But do you know about the backfiring or what could be causing it? Maybe something to do with the leak? Thanks!
I don't know if you have a vented or non vented optispark but if you recently washed your engine water could have gotten into it. As far as it not shifting I would check the transmission fluid level because it too may be leaking.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:01 AM
95LT1ZF
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

These cars have several "common" oil leaks, so I'm sure in the course of a few searches, you will be able to pinpoint.
As far as the backfiring, is it backfiring through the intake or through the exhaust?
Old 11-02-2018, 09:34 AM
LittleRedCorvetteC4
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 95LT1ZF
These cars have several "common" oil leaks, so I'm sure in the course of a few searches, you will be able to pinpoint.
As far as the backfiring, is it backfiring through the intake or through the exhaust?
Hard to tell, it sounded more through the exhaust and lasted for a short time until it warmed up. Ever since then it hasn’t happened.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:28 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Hard to tell, it sounded more through the exhaust and lasted for a short time until it warmed up. Ever since then it hasn’t happened.

massive oil leaks and misfire? Is there a connecting rod sticking through the block?
Old 11-02-2018, 02:06 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Something you can check easily is the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator. Pull it off and see if it is wet inside with gas. If it is then you have a leaking FPV regulator diaphragm and this will cause rough running and backfire. This is what a bad one looks like.

Last edited by 3D-Aircrew; 11-02-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 Backfire/Oil burning & leaking

Quick Reply: 1994 Backfire/Oil burning & leaking