high idle at start - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

high idle at start

Old 11-03-2018, 07:56 PM
skip myles

Default high idle at start

my 85 will idle at 1500 to 1900 when first started i can turn it off and restart it will idle around 800 i doesnt matter the temp doesnt do it every time some time it will crank at about 1100 then drop to 750 when warm

thanks for any help

Last edited by skip myles; 11-03-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:05 PM
billschroeder5842
ZenVette Master level VII
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm not sure whats wrong? These cars (the L98) will have a higher idle when first started then drop to the idle specification of about 700-800.

What is happening that makes you think your car is not performing correctly?
Old 11-04-2018, 01:09 AM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post
I'm not sure whats wrong? These cars (the L98) will have a higher idle when first started then drop to the idle specification of about 700-800.

What is happening that makes you think your car is not performing correctly?
Does your's do 1500 to 2000, assuming his tach is right? I don't think mine does but it is modified so all bets are off.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:22 AM
hcbph
CF Senior Member

From a cold start, mine idles (an 86) from 1500-1700 rpms until the engine oil temp is up to around 160-170 degrees or above. Once it's to temp it will drop to around 700 rpms when you stop and the forward motion gets to zero mph. If I'm running some errand when I restart and it's still in operating temp it will immediately from to around 700 rpms when you stop.

On mine, it all appears to be related to operating temp. Just my info.

Last edited by hcbph; 11-04-2018 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:22 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

If you scan the ECM you might see what the desired idle is and see if it is trying to compensate for something.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:35 PM
ctmccloskey
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Hook a test light up on your Cold Start Injector and see if it is the cause of the higher RPM. When it is cold enough it should start your car and make it idle a bit faster while warming up. My car idles fast when really cold so it is probably getting the extra fuel from the 9th injector causing the idle to speed up.

If you have a temperature sensor going bad it can cause the Cold Start injector to run when not needed. This sensor makes starting more difficult and some times darn near impossible as it can flood the engine. The sensors can be checked by measuring the resistance and referring to a chart that shows the temperature at a specific resistance. This could clearly have an affect on your Corvette's ability to start and idle normally.

Check for any vacuum leaks in the engine area, the EGR has a Vacuum solenoid near the thermostat and I frequently find leaks there. Go through your engine and verify that your vacuum system is set up normally and not leaking. My EGR had gone bad and I found an open vacuum line on my car. Cut 1/2" off the existing lines if you have the room to do so and make a new solid vacuum connection. When my EGR was bad the idle was off as well, afterwards it idles so smoothly.

I wish you the very best in solving this little mystery. I hope you find it without any problems.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: