C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starter Help

Old 11-08-2018, 01:57 PM
j.martynuska
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Starter Help

Searched but don't quite see the same issue...

6 speed...

Original starter - turn key to start, starter engages flywheel but keeps turning the engine even after turning off and removing key.

Replace starter.

Now, starter spins when key turned to start, stops spinning when key is released to start position, but will not engage the flywheel.

No shims on either starter. (edit: check to make sure nothing was stuck to the block mounting surface, loosened lower access cover on bellhousing to make sure it wasn't causing starter to sit low, visual check to make sure starter was sitting tight to the block)

I removed the replacement starter and tested it with jumper cables. Gear extends as it should when voltage applied.

Reinstalled starter. Attached just the solenoid wire. I hear the gear extend (no solenoid clicking sound like a low battery situation would produce). Attach 12v to motor terminal, motor spins, doesn't engage.

At wits end. Any ideas?

Last edited by j.martynuska; 11-08-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: add'l information
Old 11-08-2018, 05:45 PM
AudioObsessions
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

I just had this same issue myself. I replaced my starter with an identical starter and all seem to work except it would not engage the flywheel. There were no shims on the old starter. The issue with the new starter is it was just hitting the flywheel not engaging. I ended up having to shim it quite a bit just to get it to where it would engage with the flywheel. You most likely have to drop your starter and shim it.
The following users liked this post:
j.martynuska (11-10-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:32 AM
j.martynuska
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AudioObsessions
I just had this same issue myself. I replaced my starter with an identical starter and all seem to work except it would not engage the flywheel. There were no shims on the old starter. The issue with the new starter is it was just hitting the flywheel not engaging. I ended up having to shim it quite a bit just to get it to where it would engage with the flywheel. You most likely have to drop your starter and shim it.
Exactly what you said, I had to shim it quite a bit. Thanks!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter Help