C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Idleing problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 10:20 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Idleing problems

ok well not exactly idling problem but almost. I recently put a super ram on the 89 a few months ago. Pretty much got it tuned but I have a couple issues. So if I try to tap the gas let’s say trying to back out of the driveway or parking spot right after I let go of the gas and car starts slowing down it dies or tries to die. It does this going forward or reverse. And just recently when I was playing car shuffle at home. I started it up turned on my headlights and it wanted to die. What I’ve done so far. I’ve already replaced the battery and put on a power master alternator. I replaced the iac with an ACDelco unit. I read something about fuel pump voltage and it seemed low on tuner pro. So I checked some wires and repaired by fuel tank and replaced the fuel pump relay. I’m still looking at doing some stuff like fixing the ecm wire at the battery it looks kinda crappy. The problem seems to happen when the car is warmed up so must be doing it in closed loop. Not sure what else to look at. Other than that the car runs good and has power. Any ideas from any other super ram users?
Old 11-14-2018, 10:54 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Why exactly did you replace the IAC? What was it doing? What do you mean "pretty much got it tuned"? Was an idle speed change needed for the SR? Have you checked fuel pressure, spark and IAC counts?
Old 11-14-2018, 11:15 PM
kitttransam
Racer

I replaced the iac because of the problems I was having. As far as the idle speed I did have a higher idle speed but it also would cut out on me with the higher idle speed. I put it back to stock. I started off with a stock ARAP tune and got my blm’s pretty darn close. 122-130 range. Funny thing is when I first got it running with the super ram I really did not have have any problems with it cutting out. It just started happening suddenly. Really discouraging makes me not want to drive it. Does the ecm need to learn the idle position? I also have an ostrich 2.0 hooked up. Would that cause any weird problems?
Old 11-14-2018, 11:16 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Yeah I should check the fuel pressure. My fuel pump is not that old though. But you never know.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:29 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kitttransam
I replaced the iac because of the problems I was having. As far as the idle speed I did have a higher idle speed but it also would cut out on me with the higher idle speed. I put it back to stock. I started off with a stock ARAP tune and got my blm’s pretty darn close. 122-130 range. Funny thing is when I first got it running with the super ram I really did not have have any problems with it cutting out. It just started happening suddenly. Really discouraging makes me not want to drive it. Does the ecm need to learn the idle position? I also have an ostrich 2.0 hooked up. Would that cause any weird problems?
As far as fine tuning, maybe but it should be close enough so it doesn't do what you reported. How many IAC counts when it is at stable operating temp with everything but the motor off? I shoot for about 20-30 counts
Old 11-14-2018, 11:54 PM
kitttransam
Racer

It’s been a bit since I’ve hooked up the laptop. Let me get back to you about the iac counts. I’ll hook it up tomorrow if I have time. Or I could look at my last log.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:29 AM
kitttransam
Racer

Ok so I looked at the last log I did and the iac position got as low as 13. Definitely not in the 20 -30 range. I’ll try and hook up the laptop tomorrow and see if it says different. I probably check my fuel presssure too.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:20 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Ok so I looked at the last log I did and the iac position got as low as 13. Definitely not in the 20 -30 range. I’ll try and hook up the laptop tomorrow and see if it says different. I probably check my fuel presssure too.
Was everything but the motor off? If so, try opening it up by turning the screw in, red and recheck
Old 11-15-2018, 09:17 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

If the Ostrich has a long ribbon cable that can cause issues.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:50 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Originally Posted by JimLentz
If the Ostrich has a long ribbon cable that can cause issues.
i have the short cable.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:51 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Originally Posted by aklim
Was everything but the motor off? If so, try opening it up by turning the screw in, red and recheck
I have a few things to do. After I’m done I’ll probably check it out. I know every time I’ve driven the car or had it idleing I was not running any accessories.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:02 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Ok so my iac position was way low. I adjusted the throttle so now it’s between 20-30 and readjusted the tps. I checked my fuel pressure. Just shy of 44psi with vacuum unplugged. Once I get to drive it I guess I’ll see how it does.

Last edited by kitttransam; 11-15-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:57 PM
aklim
Team Owner

At. 3 counts, you have to close the blades and let less air in.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:30 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Ok that did not work. I got curious and hooked up a vacuum gauge.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Ok that did not work.
What did not work? If you cannot adjust it, maybe there is somehting you need to change in your program?
Old 11-21-2018, 05:36 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Well I’m out of town now. But this thing just does not want to keep running. I mean it’ll run after I rev the crap out of it from getting pissed off. It’s like. Maybe it is the program. Well I’ll try something sometime when I get back from holiday.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:38 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Could it be the ostrich causing it?? I do have the short cable on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Idleing problems

Old 11-25-2018, 04:19 PM
kitttransam
Racer

I am at a loss. unless I have a vacuum leak that I just can't find I don't know what else to do at this point. I put a stock tune in on a chip not the otrich. I took the performance coil and ign module out and put the stock ones in. I rechecked the iac and position somehow it changed on the stock tune. This is whats it's doing consistently though. I give a little throttle hold it at around 1300 rpms and when I let off it dies. Anybody want to see a log let me know. apparently I can't upload it here not an accepted file type.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I am at a loss. unless I have a vacuum leak that I just can't find I don't know what else to do at this point. I put a stock tune in on a chip not the otrich. I took the performance coil and ign module out and put the stock ones in. I rechecked the iac and position somehow it changed on the stock tune. This is whats it's doing consistently though. I give a little throttle hold it at around 1300 rpms and when I let off it dies. Anybody want to see a log let me know. apparently I can't upload it here not an accepted file type.
Why would you think it would NOT change on stock? Did you try resetting it using only the IAC counts? So if it is at 3 counts close the TB plates by turning the screw out, rev and see what it settled down to with everything but the motor off. If you have the screw all the way out and still cannot increase the count, see if you can find a vacuum leak.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:47 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Originally Posted by aklim
Why would you think it would NOT change on stock? Did you try resetting it using only the IAC counts? So if it is at 3 counts close the TB plates by turning the screw out, rev and see what it settled down to with everything but the motor off. If you have the screw all the way out and still cannot increase the count, see if you can find a vacuum leak.
yes I did adjust the idle by the iac counts already. I have it in the 20-30 range. But I’m still having the same problem. I honestly think something is not right. I had some minor stalling problems awhile back but it was only happening after starting the the and putting in drive too soon. I’m breaking out the fsm and going to start going through the diagnosis chart for stalling.

Quick Reply: Idleing problems