C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

6.0 LS Swap/Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

With all the talk about oil and pumps, does anyone have one they prefer for their LS builds?
Old 12-11-2018, 05:04 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Stock should be more than plenty. Melling? Same difference IIRC.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:48 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Pwnage, I in the process of lower my rad by 3/4in so I can sneak in my 2005 C6 LS2 air raid cold air kit. You going to reuse your old stuff or getting new stuff? My original rad was in decent shape and I am cheap skate. I probably only have around 3-4k into my swap.

My LQ9 ranges in oil pressure from 400-550 kpa or 60 to 80 psi.

I will let you know in about a week if it works. You still want to see my shortie header pics? I have picture of both side of my car. I had to notch the hood for 05 vette accessory kit alternator to fit in, so my hood could close.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:11 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Pwnage, I in the process of lower my rad by 3/4in so I can sneak in my 2005 C6 LS2 air raid cold air kit. You going to reuse your old stuff or getting new stuff? My original rad was in decent shape and I am cheap skate. I probably only have around 3-4k into my swap.

My LQ9 ranges in oil pressure from 400-550 kpa or 60 to 80 psi.

I will let you know in about a week if it works. You still want to see my shortie header pics? I have picture of both side of my car. I had to notch the hood for 05 vette accessory kit alternator to fit in, so my hood could close.
It sounds like I should probably change it to something that is capable of flowing more. I have a few ideas of what I'd like to try. I'd still like to see the header pics of you got em
Old 12-12-2018, 10:33 AM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

Just do something like this... haha

The following users liked this post:
Mike Holmen (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Nice snorkel, I like the 4x4 mud bogger look

Old 12-13-2018, 08:47 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Hey pwnage just wanted to catch you prior to buying the FAST EZ efi system and let you know a few things. First off my fast system isn't boost friendly, fast states that in the fine print that you find out after purchasing. Yes I'm gonna have to do something different. Probably going to electronic throttle body at some point down the road just cause I can run new transmission stuff.

I'm not sure on how the msd is gonna interface with any bodies electronics as the LS uses multiple coil packs (one per cylinder). My fast is spark advance adjustable in-cab, your msd I'm not exactly sure. Not sure if the newer injectors with work with your current system wire harness and you have now a different crank sensor X24 and a camshaft sensor. So if it was me, doing the swap today it would be a stock ecu and swap wiring harness (use the HP tuners or EFI live programmer). Seen a few posts stating the fast system doesn't like cam centerline less than 108 deg's or too much of that chugging big cam stuff.

Another good controller is the Holley set-up, seems most big power builder use that controller more than anything else.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:39 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Hey pwnage just wanted to catch you prior to buying the FAST EZ efi system and let you know a few things. First off my fast system isn't boost friendly, fast states that in the fine print that you find out after purchasing. Yes I'm gonna have to do something different. Probably going to electronic throttle body at some point down the road just cause I can run new transmission stuff.

I'm not sure on how the msd is gonna interface with any bodies electronics as the LS uses multiple coil packs (one per cylinder). My fast is spark advance adjustable in-cab, your msd I'm not exactly sure. Not sure if the newer injectors with work with your current system wire harness and you have now a different crank sensor X24 and a camshaft sensor. So if it was me, doing the swap today it would be a stock ecu and swap wiring harness (use the HP tuners or EFI live programmer). Seen a few posts stating the fast system doesn't like cam centerline less than 108 deg's or too much of that chugging big cam stuff.

Another good controller is the Holley set-up, seems most big power builder use that controller more than anything else.
I already have the EZ EFI 2.0, it is what was ran on the 383. It worked well.

My plan is to go Holley Dominator when the car is going to see boost. I wish I had bought that instead of the FAST, but at the time didn't justify the cost and didn't have this engine swap in mind. I priced it out and its going to be 3000+ for the ECU and all harnesses

Did you run the EZ LS spark control? I am looking at maybe running the XIM instead of the EZ LS. If you are using the EZ LS Ignition Control with the EZ EFI, are you able to draw custom spark maps, or is that only when its being used with an XFI system? From my understanding the XIM will allow you to run it as a "standalone" and run the timing however you want, tuning it with FAST's C-Com software. I'm going to call FAST and ask. If you can draw custom spark maps while running and EZ EFI, I'll just buy the EZ LS kit.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:26 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
I already have the EZ EFI 2.0, it is what was ran on the 383. It worked well.

My plan is to go Holley Dominator when the car is going to see boost. I wish I had bought that instead of the FAST, but at the time didn't justify the cost and didn't have this engine swap in mind. I priced it out and its going to be 3000+ for the ECU and all harnesses

Did you run the EZ LS spark control? I am looking at maybe running the XIM instead of the EZ LS. If you are using the EZ LS Ignition Control with the EZ EFI, are you able to draw custom spark maps, or is that only when its being used with an XFI system? From my understanding the XIM will allow you to run it as a "standalone" and run the timing however you want, tuning it with FAST's C-Com software. I'm going to call FAST and ask. If you can draw custom spark maps while running and EZ EFI, I'll just buy the EZ LS kit.
I'm running the fast LS spark controller, fast EZ LS controller and wiring harness. Its very basic wiring harness, I'm sure its very similar to your SBC harness. I might be wrong but I think that you need a different wiring harness for the XFI system, as the one listed on their site is different than mine. The spark map are all controlled via the dash controller, and will create its own custom map. I'm sure your MSD controller could be reused, you probably lose the in-cab spark on-control. I adjust my spark timing curve depending on the grade of gas I'm running. For my LQ9 I'm around 30 deg's at 2500 rpm and 12 deg's at idle. There is an idle spark control function for idle, just to smooth out the idle.
https://www.fuelairspark.com/xfi-2-0...m-ls1-ls6.html

You can lower the rad some, but you can only go so low. You can only drop the rad down to the drag bars, which only 1/4in at the most. I had a custom built aluminium rad made for my car originally when I did the swap. I'm in the process of making it fit. The good news is that my C6 cold air snorkel fits with the custom rad.

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 12-16-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:32 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

I'm running the fast LS spark controller, fast EZ LS controller and wiring harness. Its very basic wiring harness, I'm sure its very similar to your SBC harness. I might be wrong but I think that you need a different wiring harness for the XFI system, as the one listed on their site is different than mine. The spark map are all controlled via the dash controller, and will create its own custom map. I'm sure your MSD controller could be reused, you probably lose the in-cab spark on-control. I adjust my spark timing curve depending on the grade of gas I'm running. For my LQ9 I'm around 30 deg's at 2500 rpm and 12 deg's at idle. There is an idle spark control function for idle, just to smooth out the idle.

You can lower the rad some, but you can only go so low. You can only drop the rad down to the drag bars, which only 1/4in at the most. I had a custom built aluminium rad made for my car originally when I did the swap. I'm in the process of making it fit. The good news is that my C6 cold air snorkel fits with the custom rad.
Any pics? Wonder if you could make it fit by just trimming the upper radiator shroud...

Sounds like a good option. The filter on that Air Raid kit is huge

Would be cool if I could make one out of sheet metal and not have to cut anything. I'm not real good at working with sheet

Last edited by Pwnage1337; 12-17-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:15 PM
Krusty84
Drifting

30° max WOT timing? That sounds really excessive.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:37 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Krusty84
30° max WOT timing? That sounds really excessive.
Mine is around 36 but a poor head chamber will do that. Also the fast system is throttle body injection right? Iirc wet flow systems (like carbs and my crossfire) will run a little bit more timing as well. 30 degrees seems reasonable as an all in max timing setting to me...
Old 12-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Krusty84
Drifting

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Mine is around 36 but a poor head chamber will do that. Also the fast system is throttle body injection right? Iirc wet flow systems (like carbs and my crossfire) will run a little bit more timing as well. 30 degrees seems reasonable as an all in max timing setting to me...
LS engines don't need anywhere near that much advance when running port injection.

Cathedral port heads ~26° max
Rectangle port heads ~22-24° max

My LQ9 w/ LS3 heads runs 22° in hot air and up to 24° in cold air.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

This is good information to have, I didn't realize they required such minimal timing
Old 12-19-2018, 10:40 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

LS engines don't need anywhere near that much advance when running port injection.

Cathedral port heads ~26° max
Rectangle port heads ~22-24° max

My LQ9 w/ LS3 heads runs 22° in hot air and up to 24° in cold air.
But he isn't running port is what I was saying. And my experience with a halfway decent chamber (vortec) is gains become minimal around 25 degrees with port. More or less the same principle which is why I said chamber layout is key. But the stock tune on my 6.0l in the escalade maxes out at 25-26 degrees... on 87 iirc. (Been a while since I logged it.) Same as the stock tune in the vortec 5.7. The PE on GMs stock tune probably needs that timing with the amount of fuel it adds though. If it were port, I agree that that is high.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:48 AM
LilNutSac
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 286 Posts

Lq4 and Lq9 are great engines. I ran one with a big cam and ported heads for many years. keep us posted!
Old 12-19-2018, 10:51 AM
Krusty84
Drifting

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
But he isn't running port is what I was saying. And my experience with a halfway decent chamber (vortec) is gains become minimal around 25 degrees with port. More or less the same principle which is why I said chamber layout is key. But the stock tune on my 6.0l in the escalade maxes out at 25-26 degrees... on 87 iirc. (Been a while since I logged it.) Same as the stock tune in the vortec 5.7. The PE on GMs stock tune probably needs that timing with the amount of fuel it adds though. If it were port, I agree that that is high.
Yes, he is running port injection. His engine bay photos are littered all throughout this thread.

Get notified of new replies

To 6.0 LS Swap/Build

Old 12-19-2018, 12:41 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Yes, he is running port injection. His engine bay photos are littered all throughout this thread.
Oh my bad. I thought the ezefi was throttle body. Sorry.

Edit: I just realized I was thinking ez efi like the carb conversion not ez efi the ls controller. Sorry.

Last edited by 84 4+3; 12-19-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:49 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Just got back from VatoZone, rented a balancer puller. Going to get the crank out and check out the mains.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Balancer tab broke while pulling it off. I got creative

Last edited by Pwnage1337; 12-19-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 6.0 LS Swap/Build