C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

NO Heat

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:16 AM
temcgregor
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default NO Heat

All positions work as far as the fan goes feet, feet face, defrost A/C works replaced the blend door last night still the same result. Help with my step I'm thanking the controller rebuild? Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:21 AM
ZEN357
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Heater Core perhaps???
Old 11-26-2018, 09:25 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by temcgregor
All positions work as far as the fan goes feet, feet face, defrost A/C works replaced the blend door last night still the same result. Help with my step I'm thanking the controller rebuild? Thanks in advance for your time.
No heat in what???

Old 11-26-2018, 09:58 AM
temcgregor
Advanced

There is no hot air blowing from the vents into the cabin when selected on the HVAC control panel. Just cold air blend door moves and all vents blow air when selected.

Last edited by temcgregor; 11-26-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:56 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

First, Welcome to the Corvette Forum!!

We need to know more about the Corvette that we are talking about. You need to provide more information so people can help you determine why you have no heat. Some C4's have valves that control the heat and some don't, I may be wrong.

Does your car have the digital a/c controller or does it have the old slide type temperature adjustment? The digital A/C controller is called a C68 and has buttons for up and down temperature. If you have a C68 you might have an issue with the Blend door which is what determines what temperature air goes where. The Blending devices frequently have problems but are fairly easily fixed. The Factory Service Manual (FSM) set would be very helpful in diagnosing a problem like this, If you don't have one then you ought to do that right away, be sure to get the proper year so it can help you. The manuals are available in Print or on DVD. Do not use anything BUT the FSM's as the rest are worthless (imo) and don't have the specific knowledge that the FSM's do contain.

Tell us about the car that is having the issues, please! Then the real diagnostic help starts popping up here on this Forum a there are a lot of years of Corvette experience available on this Forum and most of the members only want to help you solve your issues.

We are glad to help in any way we can, we just need to know what Corvette you own!
Have a great day!
The following users liked this post:
temcgregor (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 01:16 PM
temcgregor
Advanced

Default No Heat

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
First, Welcome to the Corvette Forum!!

We need to know more about the Corvette that we are talking about. You need to provide more information so people can help you determine why you have no heat. Some C4's have valves that control the heat and some don't, I may be wrong.

Does your car have the digital a/c controller or does it have the old slide type temperature adjustment? The digital A/C controller is called a C68 and has buttons for up and down temperature. If you have a C68 you might have an issue with the Blend door which is what determines what temperature air goes where. The Blending devices frequently have problems but are fairly easily fixed. The Factory Service Manual (FSM) set would be very helpful in diagnosing a problem like this, If you don't have one then you ought to do that right away, be sure to get the proper year so it can help you. The manuals are available in Print or on DVD. Do not use anything BUT the FSM's as the rest are worthless (imo) and don't have the specific knowledge that the FSM's do contain.

Tell us about the car that is having the issues, please! Then the real diagnostic help starts popping up here on this Forum a there are a lot of years of Corvette experience available on this Forum and most of the members only want to help you solve your issues.

We are glad to help in any way we can, we just need to know what Corvette you own!
Have a great day!
I have a 95 with the digital controller and replaced the blend door last night
Old 11-26-2018, 02:50 PM
temcgregor
Advanced

Default no heat

I have the digital controller and replaced the blend door (95)
Old 11-26-2018, 05:01 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

Hello again,
Since you have a C68 and I am not familiar with the 1995 models you might try asking Bryan at BATEE.COM as he knows the heater control system very well. This is the direction I would go as Bryan is a tremendous resource to the Corvette World.

Have you followed the two heater hoses towards the firewall? If there is a Hot water shutoff valve that is where it would be I believe. Just a thought....

You will have heat again... The "right" person with the specific knowledge will be along soon! That is one of the beauty's of this Forum....
Again, I wish you the very best in solving this wacky issue!
Old 11-26-2018, 09:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

If the heater core is plugged, won't one of the hoses be cold while the other gets warm slowly? Maybe it would be easier to crimp off the heater hoses and try to flush it? Backflushed another car and a bunch of gunk came out and I got heat again.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:47 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
If the heater core is plugged, won't one of the hoses be cold while the other gets warm slowly? Maybe it would be easier to crimp off the heater hoses and try to flush it? Backflushed another car and a bunch of gunk came out and I got heat again.
I had to do the same on my '93 recently a bit of gunk came out and then heat working. Hot water is always circulating through the heater core and there is a restricter in the line that is flow dependant ( as the flow increases due to higher engine revs it closes up but not completely). My theory is because of this more gentle flow any gunk in the system will accumulate in the heater core. FWIW I couldn't tell by touching the heater hoses that there was no flow through the core, both hoses felt the same.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:30 AM
Mity2
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You said you replaced the blender door. I presume that you replaced the blender door actuator, correct?

you said air vent location changes correctly when selected, fan works, and blender door moves(I presumed that you verify that door moves all the way from colt to warm through evaprator opening - door didn’t move completely to heat position on my 95 after blender door actuator was replaced, only gave out lukewarm heat), and other obvious things are checked - like make sure that core isn’t leaking or filled with air, then I think likely cause of you not getting heat would be heatercore itself.
there are two hoses coming ouT of heater core - inlet and outlet hose. Once car is up to operating temp, both of these hoses should be hot. If not, there is likely a clog.
very common for these cars to be only driven in summer, and heat never gets used, and it clogs up.
had this happened on my old z28 and TransAm I had.

so that’ll be where I would start looking

Last edited by Mity2; 11-27-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:54 AM
temcgregor
Advanced

Yes the blend door actuator was replaced. and when this all started I checked the inlet outlet hose and both were hot. What about the programmer could it be that?
Old 11-27-2018, 04:08 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

We need to know how you verified the blend door was moving? The later cars, including yours are constant flow. Even in the summer with A/C on lowest temp, water is flowing through the core. If coolant is maintained clogging is unlikely. but if you just bought the car someone could have changed out neglected coolant. I've also seen bypassed cores where the hoses would be hot because a bypass tube was way back under the firewall. Have you visually verified that the hoses are connected to the heater core?

It seems odd that you said the blend door moves to hot and the hoses are hot but no hot air. The only thing I can see causing that is a heater core clogged with something on the outside forcing air to go around rather than through. But that should caused greatly reduced air flow.

Have you run the diagnostics on the HVAC controller?

Here's a video that explains it pretty well
Old 11-27-2018, 07:23 PM
temcgregor
Advanced

Default N Heat

the door moves. did the battery disconnect and heard it move. too the hoses go into the firewall .
Old 11-27-2018, 07:27 PM
Mity2
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, if you haven't checked your blender door action visibly, here is good pictures.
one of my issue with my C4 was that door didn’t move all the way from Colt to hot after blender motor was replaced, because I “clocked” it when I forced it to move.
so it only went about 1/4 of way to heat.

Originally Posted by mwm1993
I replaced my blend door actuator yesterday and wanted to add some of my pics to this thread to possibly help with diagnosis. By the way mine did not throw any codes. I thought a failed blend door actuator might give a 01 or 02.

If you removed the 3 7mm bolts on this thing it will come out:

You can then shine a light down this "sight window" and see the blend door very clearly. The blend door is on the left of this picture

Then I put my phone down into the box to snap a better pic of the blend door:

If you have the blower running and cycle the temperature from hot to cold the blend door should open and close and if it does not then the problem might be the actuator. Here is mine once it was out. It did have a little bit of water in it

Last edited by Mity2; 11-27-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:37 PM
temcgregor
Advanced

Default N Heat

The door moves watched it.. too the hoses go into the firewall are cooler then the large radiator hoses and one is even cooler then the other . The only thing I see in the line is picture. no idea air has to go through the HC I'm going to check for blockages this weekend. how has people flushed it before?

The door moves. did the battery disconnect and heard it move. too the hoses go into the firewall ar cooler then the large radiator hoses and one is even cooler then the other . The only thing I see in the line is picture.

Last edited by temcgregor; 11-27-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:15 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

It looks like the check valve has been replaced by a piece of pipe. It should be between those clamps.

Get notified of new replies

To NO Heat

Old 11-27-2018, 09:40 PM
temcgregor
Advanced

Default N Heat

would that effect the heat?
Old 11-27-2018, 10:12 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

What does the temp gauge say after the engine has been running for awhile ?
Old 11-27-2018, 11:47 PM
temcgregor
Advanced

well I just ran it and it got up to over 180.

Quick Reply: NO Heat