turbo - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

turbo

Old 12-06-2018, 07:25 PM
  #1  
barneydds
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default turbo

probably a stupid question, but has anyone tried to put a cheap ebay turbo kit on an lt1?
barneydds is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 08:57 PM
  #2  
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor
 
Pwnage1337's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Custer, WI
Posts: 3,177
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Default

I'm sure it's been done, the problem is packaging it in a C4.
Pwnage1337 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:53 PM
  #3  
drcook
CF Senior Member
 
drcook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: N.E. Ohio OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked 233 Times in 212 Posts
Default

at one time there were some kits for rear mounted turbo(s) but "cheap" and "ebay" definitely weren't in the product description
drcook is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 12:37 AM
  #4  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 15,140
Thanked 737 Times in 723 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by barneydds View Post
probably a stupid question, but has anyone tried to put a cheap ebay turbo kit on an lt1?
Do you want it to be good as well as cheap? That probably won't happen. Think of it this way. If you were worth $15 an hour and I offered you $10, would you work for me? As they say, "Cheap, Fast and Reliable. Pick any 2.".
aklim is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 02:37 PM
  #5  
barneydds
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This is my 15 yr old son's car. It needs carpet, seat covers, front bumper, weatherstripping, tires, paint and a few other things. we want to add some performance, but the budget doesn't allow a procharger or a full build.
barneydds is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 03:26 PM
  #6  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 15,140
Thanked 737 Times in 723 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by barneydds View Post
This is my 15 yr old son's car. It needs carpet, seat covers, front bumper, weatherstripping, tires, paint and a few other things. we want to add some performance, but the budget doesn't allow a procharger or a full build.
Maybe it would be a good idea to hold off on the performance stuff till the budget allows. I have done and seen a lot of cheap mods and good mods. Rarely if ever they turn out to be good AND cheap.
aklim is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 04:00 PM
  #7  
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor
 
Pwnage1337's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Custer, WI
Posts: 3,177
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Having had one of these when I was 16, I found that in stock form it was fast enough to do stupid ****. In stock form its still capable of 150+ mph. mine was an 85 with less HP than the LT1

Last edited by Pwnage1337; 12-07-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Pwnage1337 is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 10:28 PM
  #8  
qwiketz
CF Senior Member
 
qwiketz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Mission Viejo California
Posts: 2,974
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

yes, it can be done if you know how to weld and keep the boost low. If you want a decent helping of boost, it'll get more and more complex. Yes, packaging is an issue. I'd buy a used supercharger kit since they're off the shelf and once in a blue moon, you can find one at a decent price.
qwiketz is offline  
Old 12-09-2018, 07:35 AM
  #9  
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Valencia Ca.
Posts: 67,287
Thanked 1,041 Times in 956 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05
Default

The turbo kit isnt much its making it work that may add up. qwiketz has good advice.
Sometimes these mfrs have used/refurbished units for sale. Love superchargers the tq is awesome at any rpm
cuisinartvette is offline  
Old 12-09-2018, 10:38 AM
  #10  
drcook
CF Senior Member
 
drcook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: N.E. Ohio OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked 233 Times in 212 Posts
Default

This is my 15 yr old son's car.
Having been a 15 yr old once upon a time and driven a turbo performance car later in life (my dad had a turbo'ed SVO Mustang), I would concentrate on making the car nice, bringing the suspension etc up to par and getting some miles on the 15 yr old.

A turbo car and a kid that hasn't reached the age of best decision making yet is not the best combination.

Worn parts, inexperienced driver and the sudden onset of boost can lead to tragic consequences.

That is my opinion for what it is worth.

Caveat: if this is strictly a track car, then I would partly change my thoughts.

Last edited by drcook; 12-09-2018 at 10:40 AM.
drcook is offline  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:10 AM
  #11  
Kevova
CF Senior Member
 
Kevova's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: near the thumb in the mitten
Posts: 3,369
Thanked 316 Times in 300 Posts
Default

Idk about boosting an LT1 Corvette for a 15- 16 year old driver. I would focus on rehabilitating and maintenance coming from a parent's perspective.
if you look at how the Callaway was done it should not be that hard. LT1 does have higher than recommended compression for forced induction.

Last edited by Kevova; 12-09-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Kevova is offline  
Old 12-09-2018, 07:10 PM
  #12  
c4cruiser
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
c4cruiser's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Lacey WA RVN 68-69
Posts: 34,511
Thanked 347 Times in 320 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor
Default

Vehicle safety and dependability should be project #1 before anything else. Tires should be a high priority if the tires on the car now are over 6 years old. Next would be brakes. How much pad material left and what condition are the rotors in?? Replace all 4 of the flex lines and do a complete fluid flush. Other good projects are replacing all of the fluids.

Your C4 (when running right) in stock form will provide a whole lot of fun and probably moments of "Oh ****!". Get the car running and then look for some driving schools that will provide some basic skills for performance driving. In time, you can start a list of performance upgrades that will fit in your (and his) budgets. I don't think a turbo will be a good upgrade. Go with the traditional stuff like headers, dual exhaust, cam, head work, and a tune for the computer.

One thing that would be a "must have" is the Factory Service Manuals for the specific year of the car. These manuals were used by technicians at dealerships and have very good step-by-step repair procedures, wiring diagrams and lots of pictures. They turn up in the C4 Parts For Sale section of the Forum and you cn also check eBay.
c4cruiser is offline  
Old 12-09-2018, 10:04 PM
  #13  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 15,140
Thanked 737 Times in 723 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by c4cruiser View Post
Vehicle safety and dependability should be project #1 before anything else. Tires should be a high priority if the tires on the car now are over 6 years old. Next would be brakes. How much pad material left and what condition are the rotors in?? Replace all 4 of the flex lines and do a complete fluid flush. Other good projects are replacing all of the fluids.

Your C4 (when running right) in stock form will provide a whole lot of fun and probably moments of "Oh ****!". Get the car running and then look for some driving schools that will provide some basic skills for performance driving. In time, you can start a list of performance upgrades that will fit in your (and his) budgets. I don't think a turbo will be a good upgrade. Go with the traditional stuff like headers, dual exhaust, cam, head work, and a tune for the computer.

One thing that would be a "must have" is the Factory Service Manuals for the specific year of the car. These manuals were used by technicians at dealerships and have very good step-by-step repair procedures, wiring diagrams and lots of pictures. They turn up in the C4 Parts For Sale section of the Forum and you cn also check eBay.
Pretty much agree. Fix the car first and later on, budget properly in consultation with the tuner as to what would best achieve your goal instead of merely tossing parts at it. The parts have to work as a SYSTEM and not a race winning cam from one car with a great set of heads from another, etc.
aklim is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 12:30 PM
  #14  
barneydds
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

All good advice and I appreciate it. We have a lot of horsepower amongst my sons and me. I have a '17 Zl1, one son has a G8 GT and the other has a camaro SS. Both of my older sons have done significant motor work to their cars. My daughter drives a Lexus IS350. My 15 yr old is my Baby and I just don't want him to feel left out lol. Motor work will come last in the equation, but I was trying to plan for the future.
barneydds is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 01:17 PM
  #15  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 15,140
Thanked 737 Times in 723 Posts
Default

I'd do motor and trans and rear end with the idea of forced induction to be added. That way I can drop the hairdryer in and maybe cam and things won't break as much after tuning. You will need a good tuner so start looking first.
aklim is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 02:49 PM
  #16  
barneydds
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by aklim View Post
I'd do motor and trans and rear end with the idea of forced induction to be added. That way I can drop the hairdryer in and maybe cam and things won't break as much after tuning. You will need a good tuner so start looking first.
This is a manual w/ stock diff. Those handle hp pretty well don't they?
barneydds is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 02:55 PM
  #17  
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member
 
Tom400CFI's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: Park City Utah
Posts: 13,734
Thanked 582 Times in 518 Posts
Default

D44 rear should be fine...unless your the type that breaks anvils. Some people can (and will) break anything.
Tom400CFI is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 03:02 PM
  #18  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 15,140
Thanked 737 Times in 723 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by barneydds View Post
This is a manual w/ stock diff. Those handle hp pretty well don't they?
Should be. Still, get a tuner to advise you and tune it. You will need one. Might as well do it now than later
aklim is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 03:46 AM
  #19  
Polo Vert
CF Senior Member
 
Polo Vert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2013
Location: Huntington WV
Posts: 276
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Instead of a turbo I would start with a LT4 hot cam kit and 4.11 gears.

Last edited by Polo Vert; 12-12-2018 at 03:47 AM.
Polo Vert is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 09:37 AM
  #20  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 15,140
Thanked 737 Times in 723 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Polo Vert View Post
Instead of a turbo I would start with a LT4 hot cam kit and 4.11 gears.
Sure but that sucks the hell out of gas mileage. Not sure why someone would do a cam first when you either have to do a cam very close to spec or it won't work right without a tune.
aklim is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: turbo


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: