C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Main beam headlight flash not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 10:42 AM
Simon Dickens
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main beam headlight flash not working

Hell all I have nearly done all the jobs on my 1987 vette I hope this is the lady one to sort 😂
I have had the dash outvto replace some of the bulbs and lowered the steering column on the adjuster to to remove the dash cluster I also repaired the brake light switch .
since disturbing everything the blue warning lamp didn't light when you pull on the direction indicator stalk and the lamps don't flash .
whenni put the column back to its original position moved it up and slid the steering wheel back in it started to work ( coincidence?)

so i I then went on to put everything back together again but it's stopped working again ?
is it something on the column I should be checking or is there a headlight flash relay I can change out swop with another from the car to test ?

Thanks all
Old 12-19-2018, 03:18 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

On my 92 I had the same problem. could not flash or engage high beams. I had to adjust the switch down on the steering column, The lever moves a rod that goes to a switch just above the brake pedal. I know there are some differences in earlier columns, but GM used this setup for a lot of years.

On mine the switch shares a screw with the ignition switch so don't get that out of adjustment
Old 12-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Simon Dickens
Intermediate

Default Predictive typing lol hell it should have said hello

I would have got more replies 😂
thanks for the reply I'll check that out and hope it just an adjustment seems like I have disturbed something
I'll report back thanks again 👍
Old 12-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Simon Dickens
Intermediate

Thanks Bellair Brian
that out me in the right place switch wasn't going fully in when column switch pulled back was sticking I think lubed it wd40 now clicking in.and out high beam on then off 😁👍

nice one
Old 12-20-2018, 11:11 AM
Simon Dickens
Intermediate

I forgot to ask if I want to adjust it so the rod moves further when the column switch is pulled how do I do it ?

Thanks again
Old 12-20-2018, 07:04 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

I think this pic might show it better, You have to loosen the fasteners and slide it. This is were I was saying it shares fasteners with the ignition switch so you have to be careful it doesn't move

Get notified of new replies

To Main beam headlight flash not working

Quick Reply: Main beam headlight flash not working