C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fog light wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 07:40 PM
auburn2
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Fog light wiring question

I am looking at the fog light wiring, based on the manual there is a purple wire which is hot with lights on, with the high beam power lead attached to the other side of the bulb (light green wire). How does that complete the circuit when in low beams or parking?

I get why fog lights won't turn on with high beams on, same voltage on both sides of the circuit, but with high beams off what is the path to ground? Is the high beam circuit grounded in the dimmer when high beams are off?

I want to rewire so fog lights stay on with high beams on. I am thinking I can cut the green at each high beam and ground the lead coming off the bulb.

Last edited by auburn2; 01-13-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:56 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

High beams and fog lights isn't legal. Fog lights are only supposed to work with low beams or parking lights
Old 01-13-2019, 09:44 PM
auburn2
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevova
High beams and fog lights isn't legal. Fog lights are only supposed to work with low beams or parking lights
Ok a few things.

First I did not ask if that was legal, I asked a question about the wiring. Even if it was illegal (which it isn't), there is plenty of discussion on this forum of things that are illegal, like disabling EGR, removing AIR, removing catalytic converters ..... and speeding.

Second I don't for one second believe that it is actually illegal. Can you cite a federal law that makes using fog lights with high beams illegal? What I am doing is certainly no more illegal than the numerous other running lights or aftermarket light bars I could mount on my car. If it is in fact illegal at all it is only a state or local regulation and it would likely only apply to use or operation on the road, not actually modifying the wiring.

Sorry if my tone is a bit controversial, but I don't get why you chose my post to respond like you did.

Last edited by auburn2; 01-13-2019 at 10:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jpeltzel (01-16-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 10:14 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Then figure it out. I could careless.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:45 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

That should work. I do believe when high beams are off, the green wire's path to ground is through the Hi beam indicator. The early c4 fog lights are independent from the headlights and one side of the bulb is directly grounded so they work on low or high beam.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:43 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Seems to me that the fog light relay coil is grounded through the high beam filaments in the headlight bulbs. So when you turn on the high beams, the relay coil loses its ground and the fog lights turn off. Seems to me the answer you are looking for is to ground the fog light relay coil to any other ground.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:36 AM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

PatternDayTrader is correct. You will have to find this relay on my 96 it was under the passenger side dash.
I posted the mode some time ago if you search through all the LED headlight questions. But after you locate the wire from the relay to the high beam filament you will want to cut it and then put some heat shrink tubing over the high beam side of the wire, you won't use it anymore.
Then take the cut relay side and connect it to a good ground.
You are done, driving lights will work fine and so will your headlights.
Yes, the driving lights can be turned on when the high beams are on. I don't know about the legal implications but speeding is also illegal and we have all done that.
auburn2 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 07:42 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova

Old 01-14-2019, 07:48 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by auburn2
I am looking at the fog light wiring, based on the manual there is a purple wire which is hot with lights on, with the high beam power lead attached to the other side of the bulb (light green wire). How does that complete the circuit when in low beams or parking?

I get why fog lights won't turn on with high beams on, same voltage on both sides of the circuit, but with high beams off what is the path to ground? Is the high beam circuit grounded in the dimmer when high beams are off?

I want to rewire so fog lights stay on with high beams on. I am thinking I can cut the green at each high beam and ground the lead coming off the bulb.
This has been done. If you read through this thread, there are two mods suggested. The one you want snips the lt. green wire at the fog light relay in the passenger footwell and re-ground it.

Check it here, good photos and instructions. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-solution.html

Last edited by Renfield; 01-14-2019 at 07:48 AM.
auburn2 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 08:42 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by auburn2

Post #5 confirms/agrees your thoughts

You might find it helpful to mention year regardless of the question you post. Early C4 fogs vary by year. Yours I believe is an '89. This should confirm also your question. One simple post! Your thoughts were correct. On your '89 fogs (after the modification) should run I believe 'independently' requiring neither high or low. I didn't check a wiring diagram for an '89.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1555890226

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-14-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:02 PM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 690 Likes on 480 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Post #5 confirms/agrees your thoughts

You might find it helpful to mention year regardless of the question you post. Early C4 fogs vary by year. Yours I believe is an '89. This should confirm also your question. One simple post! Your thoughts were correct. On your '89 fogs (after the modification) should run I believe 'independently' requiring neither high or low. I didn't check a wiring diagram for an '89.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1555890226
Mine is an 88. When rewiring the entire car, i had fog lights, then didnt. Thought was a bad ground, but turned out, because i didnt have the headlights in car, they wouldnt work. Ground for fog light goes through headlamp harness. Drove me crazy for a day before i realized what was going on (reminded me of Christmas Vacation when Ellen figured out the light switch was off for xmas lights lol).......IF you want to, you can ground the fog lights as they get power from the fog light switch, from the headlight switch. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2019, 08:21 PM
auburn2
Racer

Originally Posted by grandspt
PatternDayTrader is correct. You will have to find this relay on my 96 it was under the passenger side dash.
I posted the mode some time ago if you search through all the LED headlight questions. But after you locate the wire from the relay to the high beam filament you will want to cut it and then put some heat shrink tubing over the high beam side of the wire, you won't use it anymore.
Then take the cut relay side and connect it to a good ground.
You are done, driving lights will work fine and so will your headlights.
Yes, the driving lights can be turned on when the high beams are on. I don't know about the legal implications but speeding is also illegal and we have all done that.
Thanks, It will be a bit harder than I thought, but doable.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:27 PM
auburn2
Racer

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Going by how you describe what you see in the diagram for YOUR car, the fogs ground through the high beam bulb filament to ground. Look at the headlights with the fogs on in PARK, headlights OFF. The headlights "glow" a dull-brown color. It works because the resistance of the high beam filament is lower than the resistance of the fog light filaments.

If you DO have a 1989, the above applies to your Corvette. AFAIK, 1989 is the ONLY year the fog lights are wired this way. In 90 they begin to use a relay. 88 and down the fogs are grounded to the chassis, and operate in both low and high beam. No relay either until 1990.

The only remedy for 89 is to find the ground wires from the fog lights, DISCONNECT them from wherever they go now, and ground them directly to the chassis.

Thanks, this makes sense, it is an 89 and it would agree with the manual.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:14 PM
PoprocksC4
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Fog lights

Pink with a black stripe

i don't know if this works for you but i wanted my fog lights to come on with the ignition key.
i grabbed the power from the pink wire drivers side up front.
Fastbrianman (01-16-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:20 PM
auburn2
Racer

Originally Posted by PoprocksC4

Pink with a black stripe

i don't know if this works for you but i wanted my fog lights to come on with the ignition key.
i grabbed the power from the pink wire drivers side up front.
So basically daytime running lights ... or all the time running lights... nice.

Not sure that will work for my year though.
Fastbrianman (01-16-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:20 PM
PoprocksC4
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Drl

Check out my thread titled
Daytime running lights?
ihatebarkingdogs helped me alot.

Get notified of new replies

To Fog light wiring question