C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lifter Replacement 96 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 08:53 PM
ajd3rd
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Lifter Replacement 96 LT1

I'm working to change the noisy lifters in my 96. I have all of the bolts out of the intake but can't get it to budge. I've tapped it and I can't really find any convenient place to pry on it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I purchased this car a few years ago with 30k. I've put another 30k on it in the last two years. The original owner told me it's never been apart. I've attached a picture of a couple of the bolt holes (far left and far right holes) in the intake. There seems to be an excessive amount of sealer on the bolts and all of the others. Can anyone tell me if this looks stock?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2019, 03:07 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Someone may have glopped some stuff on to try and stop oil seepage?
If you take the TB off you can stick a large prybar in the plenum and give it a good yank. Kinda overkill but it works.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:53 PM
ajd3rd
Instructor

Default Update - Intake off but......Do I have a bigger problem

I got the intake and valve covers off. I found a white substance in the valve cover and a smaller amount in the front of the intake. The oil seems fine and I'm not loosing any coolant. Does this look normal?

Old 01-20-2019, 05:02 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Looks like some kind of moisture mixed in with some of the oil.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:17 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 789 Likes on 565 Posts

I would pull the plugs and see if one is steam cleaned meaning a head gasket leak.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:35 PM
ajd3rd
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the plugs yesterday and they all looked normal. All a little black and no clean ones. When I purchased this car I noticed the cooling fan comes on at 190 also the air filter box was cut open. I was just reading a number of LT1 articles and maybe it's related.

I have the stock thermostat in the car and it runs about 180 on the highway. In the fall and winter it doesn't seem to get much above 190 even in traffic since the fan comes on early. I was thinking maybe this is causing the condensation since the engine never really gets up to the 220 degree range. I've researched but haven't really found an easy way to put the car back to the stock cooling settings.

Get notified of new replies

To Lifter Replacement 96 LT1

Quick Reply: Lifter Replacement 96 LT1