Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

howling fuel pump

Old 02-03-2019, 10:27 PM
Moved-To-TN

Default howling fuel pump

yesterday wife and I took our new to us 1985 c4 for a ride to Knoxville to show the grandkids the car. the car run great 75mph highway about 50 miles no problems just before pulling in there drive way we heard a loud howling noise coming from rear of car got out and fount noise coming from under gas cap must be fuel pump. shut off car let it set 5 min. turned on no noise. Anybody seen this? could fuel pump be going? if so what is the new pump choices? thanks for help
Old 02-04-2019, 12:08 AM
C409
CF Senior Member

….. I suspect that the fuel tank vent is not working … Evap + charcoal canister … what you heard was probably air being sucked into the tank either through or around the filler cap …..
The Following User Says Thank You to C409 For This Useful Post:
Moved-To-TN (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 12:17 AM
Moved-To-TN

what is the next step should I replace canister or is there a way to check operation?
Old 02-04-2019, 01:47 AM
xrav22
CF Senior Member

I have an 85 and before my fuel pump went out I heard the noise. When hot the motor is whining, and vibrating, but after replace it is quiet .
The Following User Says Thank You to xrav22 For This Useful Post:
Moved-To-TN (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 07:27 PM
C409
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Moved-To-TN View Post
what is the next step should I replace canister or is there a way to check operation?
.. The Factory Service Manual has the complete troubleshooting flow chart for the EECS Evaporative Emissions Control System But the most common issue is the vent tube that runs from the fuel tank to the charcoal cannister it is fairly small in diameter and made of steel and is prone to getting clogged by rust and other gooey byproducts of evaporating fuel try disconnecting it at both ends of the car and blow compressed air from the rear to the front if you can isolate the crud from entering the fuel tank , you can try blowing air in both directions once the air is flowing , the tank is vented again and should stop your whistling/howling noises as you consume fuel from the tank ..
The Following User Says Thank You to C409 For This Useful Post:
Moved-To-TN (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 07:32 PM
Moved-To-TN

I will give that a try Thanks
Old 02-04-2019, 07:45 PM
C409
CF Senior Member

….. If you heard the noise with the fuel filler cap off , replace the fuel pump ! …..
Old 02-05-2019, 12:38 AM
Moved-To-TN

No noise stopped with cap off but there was a lot of pressure behind cap I am thinking plugged tank vent might be the right call we are getting some nice weather down hear in SE TN over the next couple of days and I am going to do the testing and cleaning evap system I also have a hole lot of vacuum lines to replace that might take care of a interrelate surging idle I am having as well.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Moved-To-TN

C409 I think you were wright I could not blow through vent line at the fuel tank so I sprayer carb cleaner in hose and used compressed air and got a bunch of rusted crud out hope that takes care of it I am replacing all my vacuum hoses tomorrow they are shot. Thanks for your help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: howling fuel pump

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: