C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power steering died

Old 04-12-2019, 12:15 AM
Went
CF Senior Member

Recieved 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Got my vette back today. The car drives good. The rack seems more responsive. I'll take it to the alignment shop we use on Monday. So glad to have my car back.Turn One did a great job.

Went
Old 04-12-2019, 09:02 AM
BLUE1972
CF Senior Member

Recieved 277 Likes on 249 Posts

Put the rack in yesterday, what a PIA.

I flushed the system. The hoses from a few " parts " sellers did not fit - reused the original hoses with new "o" rings..

The new rack feels tighter and the car feels much tighter.
It should be a fun car - again...

People have asked about a warrantee. I did not ask, he said any problems just bring it back. As a family business , one would thing he will address any issues. Based on the fact they test the units there, the shop was really clean and the machines were in excellent condition - the rack should last a long time.

I was an R&D engineer so I understood his repairs on the rack - and why the originals get sloopy with morning sickness.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:25 AM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Recieved 788 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUE1972 View Post
The hoses from a few " parts " sellers did not fit - reused the original hoses with new "o" rings..

People have asked about a warrantee. I did not ask, he said any problems just bring it back. As a family business , one would thing he will address any issues.
See post 7. When it broke down, I limped it to the shop and had the wife take me home. Shop was NOT thrilled at the time it took. They had to get it into the yard and put it on the rack to make sure the hoses fit and wait and see till I got all the right pieces.

One would think unless that one was me. BTDT and got screwed by family and or small businesses. Had paint flaking off from a one man shop that I have been waiting for months to get a warranty on. Wish I had gotten a big business, paid more and been able to yank the credit charge but thankfully, it isn't a critical project right now. Then it was and he promised the stars and the moon. "Sure thing. If you have a problem, I promise I'll take care of you. I can't accept credit cards because I am small but checks and cash are perfect.". I'll pass on the small and wholesome looking items and remember that "The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife".

Last edited by aklim; 04-12-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:43 PM
Went
CF Senior Member

So the dead power steering was not "over" The shop installed the Turn One rebuilt NS rack, a remanufactured power steering pump and a new pressure line. Two days later the steering was wonderful at high speed but very hard at low speeds/idle. Took it back to the shop. Turn One said it was a bad pump, a sticking pressure relief valve in the pump. The shop put on remanufactured pump #2. It failed also while still at the shop, same problem. The shop found a "new" pump through NAPA. It must be manufactured new in China maybe? Got a call today that all is well and I can pick up my Vette. Got my fingers crossed...

Went
Old 04-24-2019, 05:48 PM
Went
CF Senior Member

Turn One said my pump is a reverse rotation pump. Is there a way to get a normal rotation pump on this car (1989)? Change an accessory bracket, etc? I saw another forum member had installed an electric PS pump from a Volvo. Anybody else done such a thing?

Went

Last edited by Went; Yesterday at 12:16 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM
Went
CF Senior Member

So I picked up my Vette and the steering feels okay. Drove around for a while, high and low speed. Felt okay finally. I'll see how the next few weeks go before I'm happy...

Went

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: