C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Trans cooler line question

Old 03-19-2019, 12:49 PM
t5258
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans cooler line question

I wish I had a parts catalog, but since I don't, here's my question: Is there a physical difference between 87-90 cooler lines & my 85's? One of my lines is leaking, and I found a few vendors with pre-bent lines but they state 87-90....I'm guessing there must be SOME difference...anyone have any thoughts??
Old 03-20-2019, 03:50 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I see this has been languishing here, so in an effort to help..

I see a part number for the lines from Autozone, but there is no pic. Based on their fitment guide, it fits just about everything, which makes me suspect it may be a roll of bulk line. Which is also fine, actually. That's how I typically make them for the older vehicles and they generally look cleaner than the pre-bent line assembly.

I don't know why they would be any different and they aren't hard to modify for fit if they are somewhat different. You can bend them, even by hand if a tight radius isn't required, cut and use flare unions on them, etc. You can also do this to repair yours if they aren't damaged or rusted too badly.

One thing to note: Be careful not to introduce any crap into the line when installing or doing a repair, or it will stick your governor and stop shifting. Then you'll be digging that out of there to clean it. Also disconnect the battery, as it can be easy to cause a short when snaking them past the starter. One touch and you will have a giant hole in your new trans line.

I believe they were all 5/16. At least that is what I have seen on all older GM vehicles with a 700r4/4l60.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:14 PM
t5258
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up using a set of pre-bent lines listed on Ebay for the 87-90...with some finagling, they fit ok, so I'm back on the road!! The bends were all in the right spots, it's just a pita to get them routed in the car with such limited space...
Old 03-31-2019, 04:21 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

It is.. You often have to warp them completely out of shape just to get them twisted back in there. Easier on the trucks.

Glad you got it!

Get notified of new replies

To Trans cooler line question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans cooler line question