C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Heard a 'clunk' yesterday...

Old 04-13-2019, 01:01 PM
Pslytely Psycho

Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heard a 'clunk' yesterday...

I have a base 1995 I have had for 5 years. I drive it daily and very rarely drive it hard.
Heard a clunk while climbing a hill a few days ago (not yesterday like the title says, brain fart), power fell flat on it's face and had to manually downshift (automatic).
Now there is a ticking from the front of the passenger side of the engine and I have blue smoke after it warms up, but not at startup.
plug from that area looked gas fouled.
replaced plugs, the rest look good, but worn.

So now it's rough at idle, lacks power, ticks, smokes at acceleration and idle but not at startup.

Is it time to put her out to pasture, 60 YO hands with arthritis says sell it, 16 year old never grew up brain says NOOOO!

Thanks in advance, and thanks to those who pointed out I posted in the wrong forum originally....'Doh!'

Last edited by Pslytely Psycho; 04-13-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: format error
Old 04-13-2019, 01:03 PM
confab
CF Senior Member

Recieved 311 Likes on 276 Posts

IMO: Pull the valve cover..
Old 04-14-2019, 12:11 AM
Pslytely Psycho

Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, that's definitely step one on my list. Ordered the gaskets this evening, No BBQ on my next days off hahaha.
Hoping for the best, mentally preparing for the worst......
Old 04-14-2019, 08:30 AM
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member

Recieved 76 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Pslytely Psycho View Post
I have a base 1995 I have had for 5 years. I drive it daily and very rarely drive it hard.
Heard a clunk while climbing a hill a few days ago (not yesterday like the title says, brain fart), power fell flat on it's face and had to manually downshift (automatic).
Now there is a ticking from the front of the passenger side of the engine and I have blue smoke after it warms up, but not at startup.
plug from that area looked gas fouled.
replaced plugs, the rest look good, but worn.

So now it's rough at idle, lacks power, ticks, smokes at acceleration and idle but not at startup.

Is it time to put her out to pasture, 60 YO hands with arthritis says sell it, 16 year old never grew up brain says NOOOO!

Thanks in advance, and thanks to those who pointed out I posted in the wrong forum originally....'Doh!'
dont sell. You’ll get pennies for it .
Old 04-14-2019, 08:33 AM
confab
CF Senior Member

Recieved 311 Likes on 276 Posts

Could be something stupid that happened with a rocker arm.. Maybe an easy fix?

Good luck, bro!

Old 04-14-2019, 11:37 AM
ctmccloskey
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved 154 Likes on 141 Posts

The least expensive Corvette is the one you already own. I would recommend fixing the car. It could be big and it might not be. I agree with Confab above. The rocker arm would be the very first thing I would look for. Taking those valve covers off is not an easy project all by itself but I have the L98 not the LT-1 like your car has.

Another test that would be useful would be doing a "Leak Down Test" on your engine. The leak down test can identify the source of the blue smoke more accurately. Smoking after warm up means it probably damaged a piston, piston rings or the cylinder walls. We can hope that it is from a displaced valve seal or something simple.

I am 61 with Five crushed discs in my back, living on Morphine and hands, back and knees with arthritis as well. I have two Corvettes and they help keep me sane. I don't get to work on them as often as I would like but I still do all my own maintenance. I find working on my Corvettes to be relaxing and helps me wind down from everyday adventures. I am going to keep both of my Corvettes and hand them down to my kids when I can no longer care for them.

The problems you are experiencing are probably going to involve a few hours or less I hope for your sake! I will keep my fingers crossed that it is a minor item! Good Luck!

Best regards,
Chris

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: