C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How cracked is too cracked (leaf springs)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 10:06 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts
Default How cracked is too cracked (leaf springs)?

In the swap I was already doing to replace my NYR with NYU springs for AutoX applications, I noticed the old spring on there already had numerous cracks. I had been planning on saving the spring to put back on if I ever sold this, as it seems more people prefer the softer ride springs, but is this even worth it, or should I just cut and trash it? Also am I correct in that the yellow box in the second pic is the spring spacer identifier that tells how they should be assembled (new one is green, which the FSM gives different orders for)

Old 04-17-2019, 03:17 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
In the swap I was already doing to replace my NYR with NYU springs for AutoX applications, I noticed the old spring on there already had numerous cracks. I had been planning on saving the spring to put back on if I ever sold this, as it seems more people prefer the softer ride springs, but is this even worth it, or should I just cut and trash it? Also am I correct in that the yellow box in the second pic is the spring spacer identifier that tells how they should be assembled (new one is green, which the FSM gives different orders for)

Not an expert but those look like they're toast. You can find new modern replacements like these:

https://www.corvettemods.com/C4-Corv...hoCJ9sQAvD_BwE
Old 04-17-2019, 03:40 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 3D-Aircrew
Not an expert but those look like they're toast. You can find new modern replacements like these:
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I already have a good replacement that was going in to change the spring rate, so no worries right now.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:48 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Front monospring

Rear monospring

I was told by our fine members to replace them....you don't want one to break while driving

Last edited by vette196; 04-17-2019 at 04:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jefnvk (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 04:01 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Thanks! Yep, those look to be in similar shape to mine, I'll just toss it. Good thing it was getting replaced anyhow, but I suppose I should look over my front carefully when I get to that end.

Get notified of new replies

To How cracked is too cracked (leaf springs)?

Quick Reply: How cracked is too cracked (leaf springs)?