C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Weird Whining sound near the alternator and Tension pulleys upon start up

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 11:54 PM
corvette92racer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Whining sound near the alternator and Tension pulleys upon start up

Hi guys,

i own a 1992 Chevy corvette coupe and everytime I start up the char I hear this weird and mound ticking/whining noise near the alternator and tension pulleys/belt. The alternator is brand new and the sound typically only happens when the car is warming up until I put it in gear. Sometimes I hear it after driving to start but then it goes away and when I start it again later it isn’t their. My mechanic said I could be the oil being to think and to try a thicker oil to lubricate and travel through the engine to the top of the car but idk what it is of how to fix it. Or if it’s normal? Please let me know

thank you
Old 04-20-2019, 03:46 PM
net_coma
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have someone start the car with the hood open and try and isolate the source of what you are hearing. Did the sound start before or after the alternator was replaced? New does not exempt it from being the villain.

I have have replaced two belt tensioners that were the noise source. The sound however was not as what you described.

My my usual suspects are alternator, power steering pump and maybe smog pump, if we have one of those.

I would not suspect engine oil viscosity. The sound does not seem to be an internal issue. With what I believe to be lt1 bottom end issues, spun bearings and oil pressure. Why, no clue never has been an issue with the preceding small blocks and bottom end is the same.

Good of luck with your search.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:18 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Have you pulled the serp. belt to check condition of the underside?
Does the new alt. pulley line up properly with the other pullies?
Old 04-20-2019, 06:22 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Maybe you can take the air pump connector off and try it. The pump runs on a cold start and then only till the engine warms up the cats.
It's on the same side as the alternator up in the nose.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird Whining sound near the alternator and Tension pulleys upon start up

Quick Reply: Weird Whining sound near the alternator and Tension pulleys upon start up