C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:04 AM
sdenhupjr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure

I am puzzled, I'd appreciate some advice. Here's the timeline of events... last fall I was losing fuel pressure after it rose upon turning the key. It would drop almost immediately after rising to 30-40. I went through a series of checks, and determined the fuel sending unit to be bad, as when I crimped the return hose, the pressure held. I replaced the sending unit and never had a problem again. This winter I installed new Bosch III injectors from FIC. While I was there, I also replaced the pressure regulator with a new AC Delco one, because it was original and I had easy access to it. I drove the car several times with no problems at all, until recently when I have difficulty starting it. I checked the pressure and same scenario... loss of pressure after initial turn of key. I checked the sending unit by crimping the lines... unlike last time, the pressure drops when I crimp the return lines. I see no gas leaks at the pressure regulator nor the injectors. I can't imagine a new regulator or my $500 injectors are leaking... but any advice would be appreciated. The car drives fine, but since I loose initial pressure, it takes forever to start.

It's a base model 1990 convertible.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:36 AM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

If you pinch off return line, and pressure drops that fast, I would think your new fpr is not good. I don’t think injectors would leak that fast
Old 04-23-2019, 12:02 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

When my adjustable fpr went last year, it reeked of gas in the area of the fpr. The hoses reeked too. The diaphragm had a crack in it. Lost fuel pressure over a minute or so.

There’s a pulsator in the tank which a lot of people replace with a piece of fuel hose. I think this can cause your symptom too.

I doubt injectors leaking past internally. They can leak by orings or at the fuel rail to line connections.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:21 PM
sdenhupjr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also thought FPR with it going down that fast. I honestly just put in a brand new AC Delco one 3 months ago. I just couldn't imagine it's bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pressure

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure