C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Audio Install advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 12:21 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Audio Install advice.

***if not considered technical I will move***
Looking for some installation technique advise,

I am about to pull the Bose Gold system from my 93 coupe, I am aware of the receiver being behind the pass. seat in compartment. I am installing:

DD Pioneer head unit with adapter harness.
-JBL component 6" woofer/tweeter combo for front.(modding stock enclosure for 6" and tweeters on A-Pillar)

- Pioneer 3 way 6 x 9 in rear (modding rear enclosures to fit)

- Pioneer 4 channel 40w/channel rms. amplifier (not sure mounting location yet. (what did you do?)

- 8 gauge amp install wiring kit with 4 channel rca cables.

I would greatly appreciate if others share what they did with their's
my concerns are:

- amp mounting location
-amp power wire routing location
- amp grounding location
- antenna extension from rear compartment to dash( what did you use?)
- did you route head unit to amp wiring through console?
- did you remove seat/seats/ carpet?

thanks for reading and sharing if you can. I am not a novice as far as basic installation and speaker mounting, modding dash to fit dd, just would like to do the cleanest install I can. I know there are some pretty creative people on here. I realize this car will present some challenges that's why I'd like to see what others did and challenges you faced and conquered. .
Thanks for any and all input.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:28 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

I would consult with a installer locally who has done c4s. I have after market sirus radio. I really don't like it basic AM/FM is all I need. The c4 is simple, but involved you will need speaker boxes for new speakers. Forget about the receiver in the well, you will need to run speaker wires, coax for antenna, and wiring for amp. My amp is larger and 2 inches thick behind passenger seat back, it appears installer only tied into dash unit, so power antenna is inop down. sirus uses separate antenna. wires could be run to operate factory antenna
Old 04-20-2019, 06:13 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Yeah I was gutting the old receiver in the rear compartment. running the speaker wires from amp to speakers is pretty cut and dry. I was more concerned with the pre amp outputs from head unit in dash to amp. along with amp power wire which will go directly to battery. also have to run the blue delay on/amp trigger wire from dash to amp. don't think I want to squeeze amp behind seat. it won't fit without sliding seat forward. I probably will mostly use am/fm too, so power antenna hooked up properly is important. thanks I do appreciate your input.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:30 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

If your using the Metra wiring adapter the power antenna wire from the head unit to the antenna will be there. The Metra dash adapter works great for the pioneer unit. But you do have to do a tiny trim on the back side corners of the dash opening.

I'm sure you've already seen the threads about making a deeper aftermarket unit fit in the structure of the dash.

I just put this pioneer DD unit in my 92.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:37 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Originally Posted by belairbrian
If your using the Metra wiring adapter the power antenna wire from the head unit to the antenna will be there. The Metra dash adapter works great for the pioneer unit. But you do have to do a tiny trim on the back side corners of the dash opening.

I'm sure you've already seen the threads about making a deeper aftermarket unit fit in the structure of the dash.

I just put this pioneer DD unit in my 92.

Very nice. Yes I do have the Metra kit for install and harness. Does that wire kit come with antenna cable to get it back to compartment to meet up with antenna cable from rear? Can't wait to see how it will sound. I'm sure my dremmel will make small work of the depth modifications
Old 04-20-2019, 08:53 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Mine is a 92 so the factory antenna cable runs all the way to the dash under the glove box. I just had to get a small extender cable to go from there to the head unit.
The following users liked this post:
BLKMAMBA (04-20-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 01:35 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKMAMBA
I would greatly appreciate if others share what they did with their's
my concerns are:

- amp mounting location
-amp power wire routing location
- amp grounding location
- antenna extension from rear compartment to dash( what did you use?)
- did you route head unit to amp wiring through console?
- did you remove seat/seats/ carpet?
All my install info and pics can be seen right HERE. They answer most if not all of your questions.

I grounded to the metal frame/chassis in the rear, for the amps.
I didn't need an antenna extension b/c my car had a base stereo
Old 04-21-2019, 06:30 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Thanks you a bunch for your reply. exactly what I was looking for. your install looks amazing. that's what I wanted as well a clean install with all wires hidden. I'm not going with a sub. at least not now. maybe a small powered in the future but doubt it. pretty much listen to classic and southern rock and blues. how did you route the rca pre outs from hu to amps?
Old 04-21-2019, 06:40 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

I also have a Targa brace which I stow in rear. I would like to make some type of hold down for it when it is back there, so I have to keep most of area clear. I was thinking something like those broom closet spring things like you use to hang a broom on the wall.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:57 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKMAMBA
Thanks you a bunch for your reply. exactly what I was looking for. how did you route the rca pre outs from hu to amps?
Thanks!

And thanks for the props on the install, too!

It's been a while since I did the install, but I'm pretty sure I ran the RCA cables down the passenger's side rocker rail -along with the wires that run there for the tail lights, fuel pump, etc.

Either/or will work fine. I'm sure that you could run them down the trans tunnel too, then under the "rear wall" carpet behind the seat, then under the fender well carpet to the rear.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:26 PM
Tinman28
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here’s the diagram that worked on my 91 when I replaced the head unit. And I ran all new speaker wires to each speaker. Easier in my opinion.

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Gray/Black
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Pink
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 4″ x 6″ Speakers
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Kick Panels
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 6″ x 9″ Speakers
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Rear Sides
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue
The following users liked this post:
BLKMAMBA (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 06:35 PM
bud40oz
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

if you don't mind me asking, why did you decide on the pioneer, aside from them being a top brand forever, i have just always been sorta stuck on kenwood or alpine for some reason and when i look for new sysytems i just look at those 2 brands. i have noticed that it seems the new dd kenwoods do not come with a remote control, which i find pretty lame really. i don't want to get finger prints all over a brand new stereo screen. what model is that pioneer? it looks pretty nice really, i also would mainly just use the fm but i think i would like sirius xm too
Old 04-22-2019, 06:58 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

I chose the Pioneer for a couple reasons. 1 for the same reason as you I have always went to Pioneer 1st due to having multiple units in the past with no issues and happy with the brand. another reason was doing a little research ahead I was able to see others using the same model with good fitment success. from what I have learned some DD units fit better then others in these car's. I am prepared though to trim some dash for depth fitment but supposed to be minimal. I may start the install this week as I am off Tuesday through Friday. although I am going to a car show on the 5th and I have some trim parts under the hood I am going to try my hand at hydro dipping, so I may concentrate my time on that this week. when I do install I will surely post some pictures along the way as I will have some modifications to fit the 6x9's in the rear, the 6.5" rounds in front kick pads and tweeters in A-Pillar and custom amp mounting.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:45 PM
bud40oz
Racer

does it have a remote? what model? i would like to take a look
Old 04-22-2019, 11:14 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

yes it does have a remote. sorry I meant to post the link.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AV2...tp=20217&avf=Y
Old 04-23-2019, 09:31 AM
bud40oz
Racer

looks decent, i am not a fan of the 2 volt rca pre amp outputs compared to the 5 volt rca pre amp outputs that have been around for several years now, but aside from that it looks good. for sure like that it has a remote and back up camera options, i can already tell my convertible is hard to see out of when backing up. let us know how well it fits, maybe i will buy pioneer this time. thanks for the link
Old 04-23-2019, 12:36 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Originally Posted by bud40oz
looks decent, i am not a fan of the 2 volt rca pre amp outputs compared to the 5 volt rca pre amp outputs that have been around for several years now, but aside from that it looks good. for sure like that it has a remote and back up camera options, i can already tell my convertible is hard to see out of when backing up. let us know how well it fits, maybe i will buy pioneer this time. thanks for the link
Yeah it's Pretty much Pioneers entry level in this category. I was lucky too I got it on sale for $169, and it included the interface harness to be able to hook to the Bose system if needed and the install dash kit

Get notified of new replies

To Audio Install advice.

Quick Reply: Audio Install advice.