C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:05 AM
Cos1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating?

Hello everyone! A couple weeks ago I bought my first Vette ( childhood dream). It’s an 86 with an automatic. It was an hour an a half drive to get it home. Car ran around 186 degrees until the last five minutes of the journey when it steadily went up to 220 by the time I pulled in my driveway. According to previous owner the car sat for a year or so in his barn so I bought it expecting to put some money into it. I did not keep car running to see how hot it would get but thought it was odd the temp stayed steady in the mid 180s for over an hour before rising 40 degrees in the last five minutes of driving. Coolant was a little low so I topped off. Am I over thinking this or could a problem be occurring? Any thoughts?
Old 04-24-2019, 08:07 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 563 Posts

Use the search. Go to advanced search. Type in "overheating" in the search terms in "titles". Click on search C4 only. You will have a weeks reading when the search comes up.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:22 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Pay attention to when the cooling fan kicks on and off. Watch the temp gauge when this is happening, you will have your answer.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:24 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

What you describe sounds fairly normal. I imagine the last 5 minutes of your journey was in town more so than interstate....So that would make sense that with less air flow the temps would rise. Fans come on around 225 degrees. Drive it again, then let it sit... if the fans come on like they should, the temp will drop and the cycle will start over. Make sure there are no obstructions in the open area under the car in front of the radiator. Many times theres will be trash and dirt found between the condenser and the radiator. Probably couldnt hurt to do a proper coolant flush and refill if you dont know when the last time it was done. 50/50 mix using distilled water.
The following users liked this post:
95LT1ZF (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 11:51 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 81c3
What you describe sounds fairly normal. I imagine the last 5 minutes of your journey was in town more so than interstate....So that would make sense that with less air flow the temps would rise. Fans come on around 225 degrees. Drive it again, then let it sit... if the fans come on like they should, the temp will drop and the cycle will start over. Make sure there are no obstructions in the open area under the car in front of the radiator. Many times theres will be trash and dirt found between the condenser and the radiator. Probably couldnt hurt to do a proper coolant flush and refill if you dont know when the last time it was done. 50/50 mix using distilled water.

Also check the air dams under the front of the car. These pieces work to divert cool air into the opening in front of the A/C condenser and radiator. Look for any sort of damage of if they are loose. Replace as necessary.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 04-24-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Overheating?

Quick Reply: Overheating?