C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Question for changing rear differential seal.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 09:57 AM
charliet615
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Question for changing rear differential seal.

1993 LT1, I need to change the rear seal. I've read many post about some units require that you count the amount the turns of the pinion nut, mark location and return to the exact location. Some threads say that on the late 90's, that this is not needed because of crush seals or washers are not in the 93 model? Which is correct and which fluid should i use to refill the rear end. Any help is appreciated. TX, Charlie
Old 05-05-2019, 09:41 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

…. The C4 diff's use a solid spacer and shims to set pinion bearing pre-load … instead of a crush sleeve … So , change your seal and tighten it up (don't overdo it) just tight … Most synthetic gear oils have the Posi clutch additive … I prefer to use 85w140 mineral oil with GM friction modifier additive …..
The following users liked this post:
charliet615 (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 12:41 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

Hello there C409!

What causes the seals to go bad in the first place? Heat? Loose bearing clearances or is it just age?

Are they drying out or is the shaft inside moving around enough to stress the seal?

I remember changing the rear main oil seal on my first Car and as soon as I put ten miles the new seal it was leaking again, it turned out the crankshaft bearings were so worn that the crankshaft was moving around forcing a leak.

Sorry to bug you with these questions but I am trying to understand HOW it wears out. Fortunately my differentials are not leaking on either of my Corvettes.
Thanks for taking the time to help some of us come up to speed!

Are you using a solid rear axle on the red Corvette in your Avatar? I would love to have a picture like that of one of my cars but I fear I would have to spend a lot of time and money to make it capable of pulling the wheels off the ground without breaking something. Maybe I should just "photo-shop" my car into a picture...probably the closest I will ever come to lifting the front end off the ground.

Thanks for your time and advice!
Chris a.k.a. ctmccloskey
The following users liked this post:
charliet615 (05-05-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 10:50 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

….. Why do seals fail ? … I don't know … why does beer go flat ? why are women and doctors always late ? why do people drive corvettes when a camry will do ? … I just don't know ! …..

….. My 'vette still has the IRS … Dana 44 with a Newman Car Creations housing , custom spool , and 4.33 gears … everything else back there is stock-ish (poly bushings) including the shocks …..
Old 05-08-2019, 01:53 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

I did mine by counting the threads and marking the exact location of the bolt.
It worked great, no issues.

I did the same thing with my S10, new seal and inner and outer pinion bearing (all new bearings and seals), i put over 100k since then with 0 issues.

Truck drives smoother than it did @40k miles.

Get notified of new replies

To Question for changing rear differential seal.

Quick Reply: Question for changing rear differential seal.