C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 Running Rough

Old 05-07-2019, 10:10 AM
sdenhupjr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Running Rough

I have a 90 convertible with 113,000 miles on her. She drove great last year, but I decided to put in new injectors from FIC over the winter. She already has new plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, fuel filter, injectors, sending unit, regulator, etc... She drove great for a few trips this spring ,then started vibrating when cruising or mid-level RPMs. Now the car has a noticeable slight metallic ping from the left exhaust and when sitting idle and starting to rev, the engine begins to vibrate more. Fuel pressure is good and staying around 37-40 when running, and I don't see any vacuum leaks. I drove it to work on the highway a few weeks ago, it drove great... then halfway on the way home, the vibrations started and has progressively gotten worse, now with the metallic ping in the left exhaust.

The engine hasn't been rebuilt, I know it's higher miles... but it was my late-grandfather's car.

Last edited by sdenhupjr; 05-07-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:41 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by sdenhupjr
I have a 90 convertible with 113,000 miles on her. She drove great last year, but I decided to put in new injectors from FIC over the winter. She already has new plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, fuel filter, injectors, sending unit, regulator, etc... She drove great for a few trips this spring ,then started vibrating when cruising or mid-level RPMs. Now the car has a noticeable slight metallic ping from the left exhaust and when sitting idle and starting to rev, the engine begins to vibrate more. Fuel pressure is good and staying around 37-40 when running, and I don't see any vacuum leaks. I drove it to work on the highway a few weeks ago, it drove great... then halfway on the way home, the vibrations started and has progressively gotten worse, now with the metallic ping in the left exhaust.

The engine hasn't been rebuilt, I know it's higher miles... but it was my late-grandfather's car.
Need to check the rocker arm setting. Sounds like one may be lose or other issue with a push rod. Whatever it is, it will not be self healing. Pull the valve cover and investigate.
The following users liked this post:
3D-Aircrew (05-07-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1990 Running Rough