Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

heat from a zf

Old 05-12-2019, 10:22 PM
bud40oz
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default heat from a zf

after driving my car for a while the other day i noticed that the boot area and center of the console above where the trans would be was kind of warmer than what i thought it should be... is that normal?, it might of just been the sun coming in the window or my arms laying in the same place while driving.. but it seemed a bit warm to me.

maybe i am just paranoid from changing the shifter out and gear oil.. plus the fact the car has already been on fire once...
Old 05-12-2019, 10:30 PM
jmgtp
CF Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Very normal and also consider the exhaust is just below the zf in that same spot and that heat is also rising.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:33 PM
bud40oz
CF Senior Member

cool, thanks. kinda what i thought.. like i said i am a new owner.
it isn't hot by any means. just warmer than any car i have drove before, that thing is a blast to drive. i can't wait to go lake hopping this summer on some smooth country roads

Last edited by bud40oz; 05-12-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:36 PM
RUU
CF Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Exhaust heat - normal. And you might want to check the inner shift boot to see if it has any rips or holes that will allow heat through.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:42 PM
bud40oz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by RUU View Post
Exhaust heat - normal. And you might want to check the inner shift boot to see if it has any rips or holes that will allow heat through.
i just had the boot out when i installed the hurst short shifter so i am pretty sure that it is all put in proper there.... but it had me wondering.. just for the record... does the boot go on top or underneath the floor. it was underneath before and didn't want to shift very well, so i think i put it back together on top and slipped the little groove in place the best i could... it shifts fine in every gear except third, it wants to grind a bit going into third.. the guy told me it needed a slave cylinder, does that sound like a possible fix for that? all gears shift fine.. but third and only when you are getting on it hard... it wants to grind going into third. normal driving it is okay.. if i just shift it normal.. by normal i mean shifting it at lower rpm's and not a speed shift

Last edited by bud40oz; 05-12-2019 at 10:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
arbee (05-14-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:15 AM
81c3
CF Senior Member

Received 282 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by bud40oz View Post
i just had the boot out when i installed the hurst short shifter so i am pretty sure that it is all put in proper there.... but it had me wondering.. just for the record... does the boot go on top or underneath the floor. it was underneath before and didn't want to shift very well, so i think i put it back together on top and slipped the little groove in place the best i could... it shifts fine in every gear except third, it wants to grind a bit going into third.. the guy told me it needed a slave cylinder, does that sound like a possible fix for that? all gears shift fine.. but third and only when you are getting on it hard... it wants to grind going into third. normal driving it is okay.. if i just shift it normal.. by normal i mean shifting it at lower rpm's and not a speed shift
The grinding going into 3rd sounds like a possible worn synchro assembly. If it were slave cylinder related, it would affect more than just 3rd gear.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:38 AM
bud40oz
CF Senior Member

kinda what i thought as well. i don't really see how it would work fine in every other gear,
Old 05-13-2019, 10:34 AM
vette196
CF Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts

side question.....I have my transmission out, would it be worth spraying some type of insulation/coating to lower the cabin temps/soundproof?
Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 AM
84 4+3
CF Senior Member

Received 227 Likes on 192 Posts

Mine used to do that, albeit the 4+3. It stopped doing that after I replaced the cat...
Old 05-14-2019, 01:51 AM
Logan Shoemaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the exact issue I'm having with my 4+3 when I get it on a lift Saturday I'm going to check the lower boot as well but tomorrow I'm peeling back the carpet around the console and going to add some insulation. (HVAC tape)
Old 05-14-2019, 04:16 PM
hockeyhead019
CF Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vette196 View Post
side question.....I have my transmission out, would it be worth spraying some type of insulation/coating to lower the cabin temps/soundproof?
You could but I don't really see the point. I haven't ever experienced uncomfortable temps in my C4 even in 98 degree weather here stuck in traffic. I guess you could just to help with the insulation of the cab but I would be worried about any insulation failing and falling off onto the exhaust.

Big fan of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" lol
Old 05-16-2019, 12:15 AM
VikingTrad3r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 404 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3 View Post
Mine used to do that, albeit the 4+3. It stopped doing that after I replaced the cat...

same.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:49 PM
Kubs
CF Senior Member

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by vette196 View Post
My race car has no carpet or anything inside and with headers and 3" exhaust the trans tunnel used to get hot enough to burn you on the inside. I installed DEI insulation in the tunnel and now the inside is just warm to the touch.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: