C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Only the passenger side tail/stop lights work

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 10:26 PM
cache1
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Only the passenger side tail/stop lights work

1990 C4 Corvette -
When I depress the brake pedal only the passenger side brake lights and the center roof bake lights work. Earlier in the day all the brake lights worked fine until I did some hard braking in the process of bedding in some new pads. Then the brake lights stayed on so I went down under the dash to adjust the switch alignment on the brake pedal and at some point in that process I lost the driver side brake lights. The switch button was also sticking, and giving it some lube didn't work, so I replaced the switch entirely with a new one and that didn't fix the problem. Any ideas what I broke? I would think the passenger and driver side brake light run off the same wire, but if not, maybe I broke one wire? I'm stumped and hope the forum saves me!

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2019, 12:32 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Looking at my '88 FSM (not sure '90 is same) one brake pedal line runs both L & R rear lights while the other line runs the hi stop light.

Activate the hazard lights and check if both sides flash.
The following users liked this post:
cache1 (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 08:55 PM
cache1
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Looking at my '88 FSM (not sure '90 is same) one brake pedal line runs both L & R rear lights while the other line runs the hi stop light.

Activate the hazard lights and check if both sides flash.
So, after losing some sleep trying to figure what the problem could be, then getting back to looking into the problem after work, I tried the hazard lights, and all the lights worked So then I did the blinker and it worked...so I thought what the heck! let's try the brake again, and I'll be damned if both sides didn't light up!

It's a miracle! LOL
Old 05-29-2019, 01:20 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by cache1
It's a miracle!
Close . . . but it was really that your turn signal switch somehow got stuck between modes. That was a good idea to activate your emergency flasher mode, as that reset your t/s switch!

The following users liked this post:
cache1 (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 11:22 AM
cache1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Close . . . but it was really that your turn signal switch somehow got stuck between modes. That was a good idea to activate your emergency flasher mode, as that reset your t/s switch!

I'm sure that during the clumbsy, reverse head dive down under the dash to adjust the brake switch I may have bumped the turn signal swich with an ear or arm or elbow. (I didn't remove the seat, now a chiropractor may be required. Ha!)

Well the forum worked it's magic, and got my self induced problem fixed! Thanks guys!

Get notified of new replies

To Only the passenger side tail/stop lights work

Quick Reply: Only the passenger side tail/stop lights work