C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My 91 vette won't start sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 04:17 PM
91VetteGirL
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 91 vette won't start sometimes

I have had 91 vette for 2 years. Sometimes it won't start. Not particularly when hot or cold. the lights go on, the engine doesn't turn over. If I wait about 5 minutes, it'll start just fine. I've taken it to many mechanics and they say everything's ok and the ones that say they fixed it, didn't fix it! This has been going on for the whole time I've had it.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:22 PM
Lv2Driv
Drifting

Default Re: My 91 vette won't start sometimes (91VetteGirL)

check the resistance on your key(can be down by dealer) your vats may be stopping the car from starting. The little sensor on the keys will wear down over time. If they do not touch the sensors in the key lock the car will not start (it thinks you are trying to steal the car)
I have heard of this happening.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:26 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!! :yesnod: :yesnod:

Have your "vats" system checked out. Probably the ignition key resistor.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:39 PM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Default Re: My 91 vette won't start sometimes (fixvet)

Welcome.

Make sure your ignition key is clean and straight. If you have a second key, try that one. I think that the VATS needs 4 min. after a fail to reset and every time you try and fail the clock restarts. As stated, have you key and the VATS checked.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-06-2002, 04:47 PM
91VetteGirL
Cruising

what is the "vats" system??
Old 11-06-2002, 04:50 PM
BETA
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vehicle Anti Theft System.....

Oh.....and all good ideas from dem guys... :)

[Modified by vette5, 8:51 PM 11/6/2002]
Old 11-06-2002, 05:11 PM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Short version - your ignition key has a pellet in it. This pellet has a specific resistance. When you place the key in the ignition and move it to the on position, the computer checks the resistance in the key to the value it has stored. If they match, the car starts. If not, it fails and the timer starts. This is to prevent someone from just climbing in and starting your car. Only a key cut the same as yours will turn the cylinder and only a key with the proper resistance will allow it to start. Double protection.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:37 PM
gtsyellow
Melting Slicks

Default Re: My 91 vette won't start sometimes (Steel Blue 91)

every once in awhile this just happens, it's happend to me 3 times in the past two years, it's just the resistor not contacting the ignition and when you turn it over it will automaticly lock the car out for either 5 or 15 minutes, i can't remember which. just wait it out & try again, i've never had it stall twice. a new igniton might solve the problem but i don't want to spend what one of those costs unless i have to.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:41 PM
dlmeyers
Burning Brakes

Default Re: My 91 vette won't start sometimes (gtsyellow)

As stated above, rounding up the ususal suspects in the this case would be a worn pellet, dirty pellet, or worn contact pins located within the lock tumbler that contact the worn or dirty pellet. All of the above.

I would first get a new key made, GM, and make sure to ask and write down the pellet resitance(15 different resistance values were used). Back of owners manual works for me. This number could come in handy, like when a pellet fell out of a key. Got one at home.

Had a no start one day and it actually set a VATS code. That helped. Not sure if your system stored a code. May be something to check.

Some people do install the "VATS Bypass". Kinda right. A fixed resistor using the correct value is installed under the knee bolster. This will bypass the key lock tumber pins and key resistor(the usual suspects). Your VATS module or Central Control Module (90 and later CCM has VATS software code) still see's the correct resistance and your car will start. OK, semantics.

This system should work. Repeated VATS no start conditions obviously means something's not right. If one is reasonably proficient with multimeters and schematics, the system is manageable and shouldn't require the $75 an hour dealer telling you "Can't find anything wrong". Often the correct answer with intermittant VATS. Darn cars.

dlmeyers 90 coupe zf6 3speed shocks

Old 11-06-2002, 10:54 PM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: My 91 vette won't start sometimes (dlmeyers)

Mine was doing the same thing till I switched to my 2nd Key... :cheers: so I am assuming that it was my VATS causing mine. Ever since I switched I haven't had any more problems ( knock on wood :smash:
Old 11-06-2002, 11:01 PM
ncider
Racer

Default Re: My 91 vette won't start sometimes (CowboyNVette)

Welcome to the forum. You'll find that it's really nice that there's always going to be someone here that has already experienced your problems. Someone will always be able to help.

Good Luck
Old 11-07-2002, 05:45 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it isn't the vats system, let us know so we can come up with something else..... :D
Old 11-07-2002, 05:49 PM
Bravery
Pro

Default Re: My 91 vette won't start sometimes (brdd)

Hey Lydia and welcome to the forum !!!

Its my guess, and im no mechanic, that its a loose connection on either the starter solenoid or the relay. Give both a check and see what happens.

Mike
Old 11-18-2002, 04:42 PM
91VetteGirL
Cruising

Thanks everyone for your help. I am gonna go buy a new key this week and I will let you know how it works. I'm pretty sure it is the vats b/c it didn't start the other day and I waited exactly 4 minutes, and it started, so I'm pretty confident it could be that. Thanks again!
:seeya
Old 11-18-2002, 08:55 PM
lgetz1
Racer

Had the same problem 4 times last week. I know its the VATS but oh well its an idiosyncracy you've gotta deal with. The most recent time it happened I was flying down I-35 to get to work on time. Curiously it has not happened this week. Good luck. :seeya
Old 11-18-2002, 09:07 PM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Didn't feel like reading everything so someone else may have said this allready but my 85 acted like this for a while and every place I took it said everything was fine. I wound up cleaning the connections to my starter and have never had the problem since. It turns out that oil had gotten between the contact of the hot wire on the starter. About 30 minutes to remove the hot wire and clean it till it started working again. I you try this be sure to REMOVE the hot wire for the battery first otherwise you may get a nice shock from it while working on the starter. Hope this helps you or atlest someone.

Get notified of new replies

To My 91 vette won't start sometimes

Quick Reply: My 91 vette won't start sometimes