Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Sequential shift

 
Old 07-06-2019, 08:25 PM
  #1  
PoprocksC4
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
PoprocksC4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Posts: 110
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sequential shift

A tranny without a clutch? LOVE to replace my A4. Anybody done this swap?
PoprocksC4 is offline  
Old 07-06-2019, 10:04 PM
  #2  
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: NEwhere Ohio
Posts: 10,216
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PoprocksC4 View Post
A tranny without a clutch? LOVE to replace my A4. Anybody done this swap?
Would love to know if this has been done.

like if someone has put in an SMG clutchless manual paddleshift in their c4 or c4 zr1
dizwiz24 is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 01:53 AM
  #3  
65Z01
CF Senior Member
 
65Z01's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: SE NY
Posts: 83,237
Likes: 0
Received 154 Likes on 146 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default

Can you just install a TransGo shift kit and set it up for manual shifting??
65Z01 is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 04:26 AM
  #4  
STL94LT1
CF Senior Member
 
STL94LT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2002
Location: O'Fallon Missouri
Posts: 12,227
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

STL94LT1 is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 05:45 AM
  #5  
Robban_C
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: 130 km west of Stockholm
Posts: 48
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

A C4 with a Lenco transmission:

This car is for sale nuw, but without engine, transmission etc.
No, it´s not my car but I have bought the turbo etc from it.
Robban_C is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 11:04 AM
  #6  
PoprocksC4
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
PoprocksC4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Posts: 110
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Whoa, At $28k!? Sorry i asked. Its cheaper to buy a C6 w/ a manual. But thanks for the info.
PoprocksC4 is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 11:10 AM
  #7  
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: NEwhere Ohio
Posts: 10,216
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PoprocksC4 View Post
Whoa, At $28k!? Sorry i asked. Its cheaper to buy a C6 w/ a manual. But thanks for the info.
A C4 with this type of transmission you ask about is better than a C6 !
dizwiz24 is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 12:44 PM
  #8  
1985 Corvette
CF Senior Member
 
1985 Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 4,345
Likes: 0
Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Roadkill had an episode with a Jericho clutchless 4 speed installed in a project. They got a kick out of it. I never searched for it too hard but I see their transmissions out there for 3 grand or so. Maybe can find one on eBay or racing junk’s for sale site. Sequential shift sounds fun until you realize the “cheap” end of it is 28K. I say cheap because I’ve seen them going for over 50 grand by some suppliers!
1985 Corvette is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 12:52 PM
  #9  
psychodiagnostik
CF Senior Member
 
psychodiagnostik's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,953
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I've thought about this as well for my '93A4. I have 3.73s & rebuilt 700r4 with shift kit. I like to manually shift it, & I chose to keep a converter with factory stall because it feels more "connected" when driving on backroads & it also barks tires on upshifts even at low speed.

What I've thought about is a ratchet shifter like a B&M. I've seen a couple of C4s with this, it takes some interior modding but it looks really nice with the **** up close to the steering wheel, like a racecar. I think this, with a nice built 700, shift kit, & nice shifter might give you the control & engagement you want when driving without going nuts on a Jericho or whatever.

You can also do manual valve body on the auto but I've heard not so good things about them when used in a street-driven daily or semi-daily car. You can get decent manual control with a shift kit.
psychodiagnostik is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 09:57 PM
  #10  
ChumpVette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,085
Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PoprocksC4 View Post
Whoa, At $28k!? Sorry i asked. Its cheaper to buy a C6 w/ a manual. But thanks for the info.
What did you expect it to cost?
ChumpVette is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 08:03 AM
  #11  
PoprocksC4
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
PoprocksC4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Posts: 110
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

I had no clue what to expect as far as cost but I was shocked to find a price tag that high. I guess "if you have to ask...." applies here. I like the idea of looking for used on racing junk. For now I'll continue shift my A4 "manually" when i want to get a little "bark" out of the tires.

Last edited by PoprocksC4; 07-09-2019 at 09:21 AM.
PoprocksC4 is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 02:14 PM
  #12  
vader86
CF Senior Member
 
vader86's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Athens AL
Posts: 51,142
Received 338 Likes on 283 Posts
Default

I've looked into it in the past, it has been done a few times on here. It was always too custom, nothing really off-the-shelf, and prohibitively expensive to me.
vader86 is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 08:21 PM
  #13  
64Scout
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Fort Wayne Indiana
Posts: 457
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

64Scout is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:03 PM
  #14  
JoeNova
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 297
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Paddle shifted 60e is definitely the easiest route.
JoeNova is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:45 PM
  #15  
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: NEwhere Ohio
Posts: 10,216
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JoeNova View Post
Paddle shifted 60e is definitely the easiest route.
Is that a robot clutch slave cylinder (like bmw smg) or a slushbox with torque converter
dizwiz24 is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:50 PM
  #16  
ChumpVette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,085
Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
Is that a robot clutch slave cylinder (like bmw smg) or a slushbox with torque converter
Its just like the garbage GM used with the 2006 Corvette A6 Trans. It will still shift slow.
ChumpVette is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:59 PM
  #17  
gman35
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2008
Location: Orange Park Florida
Posts: 825
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default hurst his and hers shifter

Originally Posted by psychodiagnostik View Post
I've thought about this as well for my '93A4. I have 3.73s & rebuilt 700r4 with shift kit. I like to manually shift it, & I chose to keep a converter with factory stall because it feels more "connected" when driving on backroads & it also barks tires on upshifts even at low speed.

What I've thought about is a ratchet shifter like a B&M. I've seen a couple of C4s with this, it takes some interior modding but it looks really nice with the **** up close to the steering wheel, like a racecar. I think this, with a nice built 700, shift kit, & nice shifter might give you the control & engagement you want when driving without going nuts on a Jericho or whatever.

You can also do manual valve body on the auto but I've heard not so good things about them when used in a street-driven daily or semi-daily car. You can get decent manual control with a shift kit.
I am in the process of fitting a 4 speed Hurst his and hers shifter into the console of my 1987 C4. It will be the first one that I have ever seen done. It has actually been pretty easy so far.
gman35 is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 08:39 AM
  #18  
vader86
CF Senior Member
 
vader86's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Athens AL
Posts: 51,142
Received 338 Likes on 283 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
Is that a robot clutch slave cylinder (like bmw smg) or a slushbox with torque converter
Its still a GM tranny, and it still shifts slow. You want a robot clutch, better look elsewhere or design one.

Last edited by vader86; 07-09-2019 at 08:40 AM.
vader86 is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 08:48 AM
  #19  
JoeNova
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 297
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ChumpVette View Post
Its just like the garbage GM used with the 2006 Corvette A6 Trans. It will still shift slow.
A shift kit and a trans tune and it will shift much faster.
Paddle shifters can be programmed to control the 2 shift solenoids very quickly for upshift/downshift.
JoeNova is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:13 AM
  #20  
ChumpVette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,085
Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JoeNova View Post
A shift kit and a trans tune and it will shift much faster.
Paddle shifters can be programmed to control the 2 shift solenoids very quickly for upshift/downshift.

PDK fast?

It's still a GM auto.
ChumpVette is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sequential shift


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: