Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight Motor or Gears?

Old 07-11-2019, 05:53 PM
89íVette
CF Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Motor or Gears?

My driver side headlight opens fully sometimes and only half way other times. When it opens halfway it just hangs there and can be moved around a bit. When I close it, it makes this rhythmic knocking sound for about 4-5 seconds and looks like itís trying to close further when itís already closed. Whether itís opened halfway or fully it will always close. There are times where I will open and close them repeatedly in an attempt to open the headlights and it will not open. Then other times it will fully open and close 12+ times in a row 🙄. Iíve tried using the little **** on the motor but it wonít move the headlight at all. It just keeps spinning and spinning. Is it the motor or gears? Iíd hate to spend $80+ on a motor when all I need is a $25 set of gears. Please help!
Old 07-11-2019, 09:03 PM
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member

Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 89íVette View Post
My driver side headlight opens fully sometimes and only half way other times. When it opens halfway it just hangs there and can be moved around a bit. When I close it, it makes this rhythmic knocking sound for about 4-5 seconds and looks like itís trying to close further when itís already closed. Whether itís opened halfway or fully it will always close. There are times where I will open and close them repeatedly in an attempt to open the headlights and it will not open. Then other times it will fully open and close 12+ times in a row 🙄. Iíve tried using the little **** on the motor but it wonít move the headlight at all. It just keeps spinning and spinning. Is it the motor or gears? Iíd hate to spend $80+ on a motor when all I need is a $25 set of gears. Please help!
Might not even need gears. All mine needed was those plastic pellets (3 per side). One side was crushed into dust.

similar issue, motor keep spinning.

Mine was a 93
Old 07-11-2019, 09:03 PM
TA
CF Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I would guess that your motors and gears are fine. The plastic bushings have probably turned to dust.

They likely look like this

Instead of this

The following users liked this post:
dizwiz24 (07-12-2019)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: