C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight Motor or Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 05:53 PM
89’Vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Motor or Gears?

My driver side headlight opens fully sometimes and only half way other times. When it opens halfway it just hangs there and can be moved around a bit. When I close it, it makes this rhythmic knocking sound for about 4-5 seconds and looks like it’s trying to close further when it’s already closed. Whether it’s opened halfway or fully it will always close. There are times where I will open and close them repeatedly in an attempt to open the headlights and it will not open. Then other times it will fully open and close 12+ times in a row 🙄. I’ve tried using the little **** on the motor but it won’t move the headlight at all. It just keeps spinning and spinning. Is it the motor or gears? I’d hate to spend $80+ on a motor when all I need is a $25 set of gears. Please help!
Old 07-11-2019, 09:03 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by 89’Vette
My driver side headlight opens fully sometimes and only half way other times. When it opens halfway it just hangs there and can be moved around a bit. When I close it, it makes this rhythmic knocking sound for about 4-5 seconds and looks like it’s trying to close further when it’s already closed. Whether it’s opened halfway or fully it will always close. There are times where I will open and close them repeatedly in an attempt to open the headlights and it will not open. Then other times it will fully open and close 12+ times in a row 🙄. I’ve tried using the little **** on the motor but it won’t move the headlight at all. It just keeps spinning and spinning. Is it the motor or gears? I’d hate to spend $80+ on a motor when all I need is a $25 set of gears. Please help!
Might not even need gears. All mine needed was those plastic pellets (3 per side). One side was crushed into dust.

similar issue, motor keep spinning.

Mine was a 93
Old 07-11-2019, 09:03 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I would guess that your motors and gears are fine. The plastic bushings have probably turned to dust.

They likely look like this

Instead of this

The following users liked this post:
dizwiz24 (07-12-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Motor or Gears?